Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gasser 50 chevy wheel stander project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Feb 12, 2020.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jungle Pam, just say'n!

scotty t, raven and David Gersic like this.
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks, for all the support over the years, you have always supported me with this crazy SEGA idea. As you know it started in 2011 and I have always tried to make it better but still stay true to the era as much as possible.
    Hope to see you sometime this year, maybe I can make a trip to Anderson to see you and a few others but will need a body guard anytime I'm in that area LOL. Gene Cromer came down last Friday and spent the day with me, it was sure good to see him.

enloe, mad mikey, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  3. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Great idea, looking forward to seeing it in action.

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Quain
    How is Gene doing?
    Haven't heard much of his Willys for some time.

enloe, mad mikey and Chucky like this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It's parked except for doing shows but he's doing good. I think he's like 86 or 87. My hero for sure.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    enloe, mad mikey, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Today we worked on finishing up the engine mounts and mounting the v-drive. This pic is of the mid mount that I felt it needed.
    IMG_0683.jpg

enloe, AHotRod, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Anyone that has followed my builds know how picky I am on drive line angle being perfect.
    99% of all drive shaft / u-joint failure is from a misaligned drive line angle, not horse power like most think. This wheel stander will really test ones knowledge on mounting the engine to get the drive line angle right. Plus it has two drive shafts that have to be tuned together. First step is to get the output shaft in perfect line with the input of the v-drive. We made a trick little fixture to do it as seen in the pics. It was bolted to a yoke then welded to a 4" aluminum bar then machined to a perfect fit for the register in the flange of the v-drive. The little notches are machined in the aluminium fixture so vise grips will fit in there to clamp it to the v-drive flange. When this is all finished each u-joint will have 1 degree angle.
    Keep in mind all of this had to be figured in before mounting the engine, transmission and rear end housing. Something that is over looked in most builds until it's to late.
    fixture.jpg

enloe, AHotRod, mad mikey and 9 others like this.
  8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Good help is the key to a successful race car shop even if they fuss with each other LOL . Here we see Harold Brady getting bitched at by Tom White while the 3 of us argue about how the v-drive should be mounted. I got out of the fuss to take the pic LOL. We do have a great team at Stott's Speed shop but we like to have fun while we work. tom and harold.jpg

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Pic's of the mounted v-drive. Once all welding is done final adjustments will be made with the turn buckles. V-drive 5.jpg V-drive 4.jpg View attachment 4582696 V-drive 2.jpg V-drive 1.jpg

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Did you machine 1° on ends of aluminum? Or going to adjust to the 1° with the turnbuckles..

Quain Stott and loudbang like this.
  11. Build pics are fun to look at. It's interesting to see how fabrication is thought out and executed. Especially on a vehicle this far out of normal. Love it!

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Are you going to run stack injection on alky or a blower motor ?
    nice work on the truck .

mad mikey likes this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

You're spending the extra where it's needed to make it Not the weak link. The front suspension, steering and braking/ steering system will be another time eater. The rest needs to be functional without being overly nitpicky, Almost time to start thinking about a name. Great to hear Mr. Cromer is doing well! Who are you building the T Bird for? Hope to see you this year, Carp.

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

dam quain ,you always stay busy! what do ya have 2 months before season starts? ah hell lets build a wheel stander! go bud, i wish i had all your energy! will see you at the track!

mad mikey, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The jig is flat we will put the 1 degree in it with the turn buckles. I wouldn't put any angle in it but the u joint has to have angle to grease it's self.

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

One month from Saturday is the First SEGA race At Emerald Coast Drag way in Holt Florida. But the wheel stander won't make it. If I didn't have so much other stuff to get ready I could finish it easy but only get to work on it a few hours per week.
    2020 dates.jpg

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

T Bird is for Mike Blackwell to run SEGA B/Gas. I need to do a build thread on it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Quain, if I wasn't trashing on my Comet trying to get it done I would come over and volunteer my time to help in any way to get the wheelstander done . Including being a test dummy.;)

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'm bouncing around kinda working on little things I can finish quick because I'm only getting to work about 2 hours per day on this play project. Tonight I made these rear Body mounts, I found the inner panel to be solid and it has a reinforcing rib behind it so it's a good place for a body mount. It would be a lot easier to just weld the body on like most do but I want the body to bolt on. Most all of my projects are built for the body to be removable, I guess that habit is left over from the old days building pro mod cars.
    IMG_0704.jpg IMG_0706.jpg

enloe, AHotRod, kidcampbell71 and 5 others like this.
  20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Had enough time left tonight to do a quick set of seat mounts also. Started with 1/8th aluminum plate that I cut and bent to make a 7" tall seat mount.
    No pains taken just getting it done.
    IMG_0700.jpg

AHotRod, Thor1, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I put the steering column and pedal assembly back in just to help locate the seat. Notice we are using the stock pedal assembly and steering set up from 1950. We did make a small modification to the pedal assembly so the new floor board will lay flat on the chassis. You will notice where the pedal mount is cut and welded back. The top of the mounting bracket is now under the chassis where it was on top of the chassis from the factory. IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0702.jpg IMG_0715.jpg

enloe, AHotRod, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It's strange building something where no drive train is in the middle of the car. I usually incorporate drive shaft loops, cross members and stuff like that into the seat and seat belt mounts but in this thing I just have to worry about seat mounts so no thinking or planning required. Just run a piece of tubing across from one side to the other anywhere I want. Pretty easy to see I'm wire welding most of this deal together, remember I'm in a hurry. IMG_0712.jpg

enloe, AHotRod, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I take that back, I did do a little planning. I went ahead and welded an insert in the tubing for the seat bolt and one for the crotch strap. Never mind the bad tig welding I rushed through it because it has to be sanded back down to be flat so the bolt will set right. IMG_0707.jpg IMG_0708.jpg

AHotRod, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

If you noticed the notch cut on the ends of the tubing when it was laying on the bench in the previous post it's so it will lay flat with the old chassis so the floor will run over it with out a step down. IMG_0709.jpg IMG_0711.jpg

enloe, AHotRod, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

To stay with the 1967 era theme we had to use a low back seat. I found a cover for it also so once the cover is on it will hide the fact that it's a modern day plastic seat. Of course I'm buying everything from Summit, New sponsor for the SEGA points fund for the 2020 season.
    It's in but only with one bolt. I'll finish up the other 3 mounts next time I get a few minutes to fool around with it.
    IMG_0713.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  26. catdad49

catdad49

You're thinking/planning about this build, you just don't realize it. I believe it's called Experience! I'm wheelie (insert groan) enjoying this, can't wait to see the finished product (Oh, and the T Bird).

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Reminds me of my responds to O’Reilly Auto Parts. "O'Really!, you don't have what I'm looking for".

catdad49, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Woo hoo!!! I see y'all are going to Lassiter Mt! Gonna do my best to be there!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yes we are and the wheelie truck should be there. Spread the word, let everybody in the neighborhood know so we can pack the place.

loudbang, catdad49 and mad mikey like this.
  30. This is a great build you are doing Quain,and will delight fans everywhere you go. :) Still waiting for you to bring the show to here in Pa.;) Anyway, thanks for sharing your talent and all you do. Mike.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.