Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone going South

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg guys looking for options to get my running 40 sedan from Md. To Tenn .mid March ? Anyone going that way with a empty trailer ? Same 40 return trip about 10 days later ? 1 way or both , am contacting a couple transporter on the hamb but know response yet .thanks , Dennis

2. gene-koning

gene-koning

For what purpose is it going south for 10 days? Having something done to it down there?
    The way this year has been weather wise, you may be able to drive it there and back by mid March, road trips are fun. Gene

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Gene , I was thinking the same thing. Road trip and stretch the legs out on you and the car .:)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. What part of Tennessee are you headed to, Dennis? East Tennessee is a fairly pleasant drive down I-81. Middle Tennessee and of course Western Tennessee (like Memphis) is a lot longer trip. Tennessee is so long it has two time zones! If you can't locate a hauler, and don't feel comfortable driving it South, you can rent a truck and trailer from U-Haul.

47ragtop likes this.

5. .......... Curious myself, unless it's TOP SECRET.:D;).............Don.

WTF really and wraymen like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

For the right price I will bring my trailer up from Tn. load your car and drive back down here.
    Then load up your car and take it back home. PM me about the details. I live in Athens Tn. which should put you close to Knoxville.

7. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Henderson Tenn. gonna have a some upgrades- ,changes to my 40 . My 1st thought was to drive it down ?? Longest trip so far was 100 miles one way . Thought it would be a great adventure but a lot of what ifs!!! Thought I'd throw it out see what my options are ?? Should I drive ? Should I haul ? Ran fine to Charlestown West Virginia but that not Tenn. Don't want to hurt the old girl .

47ragtop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Yeah, Dennis, that's quite a ways, much farther than Knoxville or other East Tennessee points. I understand your concern about driving it that far and would likely opt to have it trailered, preferably in a box trailer if at all possible. Good luck with it.........Don.

47ragtop likes this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a couple of questions, what drive train is in your car? Is the car capable of freeway speeds? Are you physically capable of making the trip? These things were built to be driven, not trailered. I don't know you and I'm not trying to compare the two of us but I can remember a time when anything was possible. Taking off down the road in a car that would have been considered questionable today to get to someplace I wanted to go was considered an adventure. If it broke, it got fixed. Sometimes you met a guy who realized what you were doing because he had already been there and done that and helped you just because. Then, there was always that one friend you could call on to help you out. I miss those times.

10. If you drive consider some back roads for part of the trip and allow time for that and some long breaks along the way. 81 is going to get you there the fastest but it can be a bear with all the truck traffic. Beautiful country down that way, it would be a nice vacation.

Driver50x, 47ragtop, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  11. Callmaker

Callmaker

Drive it!! If I couldn't get in my hotrod truck and go when I wanted, I'd sell it. Thats what they are for. Bringing it down for upgrades and still afraid to drive it back? WOW. Fire suit on and fully polished!!

alanp561 likes this.
  12. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

13. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Thanks for all the responses ,suggestions .Alanp , later model flathead 3 on the tree ,stock 411 rear .Runs down the road nice , little concerned about the brakes .I'm 71 and can still hang, but don't want to hurt the old girl ,I drive it a lot but that's a long way from the house . Turkey thanks for your input ! How far is Coker Creek from Henderson ? What's the farthest you've driven yours ?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Are you sure it will be done in ten days? A cap of 60 mph will be a hair under 3k rpm, should be fine. Change oil before you leave and bring along the brand you use for any adds..

alanp561 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Goin' South is a great movie.

saltflats likes this.
  16. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg Seb, thank you ,was wondering about the rpms I run about 3000 to 3200 , 3rd gear , .was wondering about for long periods ( hours ) . Again don't want to hurt the old girl.

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Flathead Dave, ain't a horror movie is it ??? ;)

18. Callmaker

Callmaker

[QUOTE=" . Hey Turkey thanks for your input ! How far is Coker Creek from Henderson ? What's the farthest you've driven yours ?[/QUOTE]

Couldn't tell you. Well I drive my truck every day,, longest trip was to south Ga and back last year...

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If the engine is in good shape, it should not hurt it. Like said, don’t miss this adventure! At 71, I’m sure you’re retired and have all the time in the world. I suppose you have AAA? If you have trouble, get towed free to somewhere it can be fixed. Carry some tools to fix little stuff along the way! Once there, rent a car and tour the area, take a ten day vacation! The drive the car back! Road trips are great! This is a wonderful opportunity! Don’t miss it!

Schedule extra time, because every time you stop for gas or eats, its going to take a little extra time.....talking to the folks that want to see your car! Just sayin

Bones

20. Budget36

Budget36

In here lays they answer,

i/e you deliver the car and fly home.

SC2631 picks up the car and takes it back to you.

That way if 10 days turns to 12 , etc...maybe he can work with it?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. jim snow

jim snow

That 350 will haul it like nothing. Rent a u-haul car trailer and off you go.jmho. Snowman

47ragtop, alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. gene-koning

gene-koning

OK, so I did a mapquest:
    Dundalk MD to Coker Creek TN - 605 miles and shows 9 hours and 36 minutes one way.
    That is probably all Interstate. I'm sure there are probably some really nice state highways that can get you there with a little more time.
    Personally, I'd do state highways, and split the ride in 3 days, go 200 some miles in one day, then do another 200 miles the second day and finish it up the 3rd. Drop your car off, rent a car and see the sights (TN is a really nice state to visit). When your car is done, split the ride back home into three days.
    All 3 days would be an easy drive for you and the car. That would give you a chance to check out some sites that may interest you along the way and it would also give you time to visit with people that will have questions about your car. Gene

47ragtop, alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. ......................Don't forget, Gene, he's going to Henderson, Tennessee, not Coker Creek. Henderson is much farther to the West.........Don.

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

HAHAHAHA...No...Its a comedy Western with Jack Nicholson.

25. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Be a nice drive...

26. Not that it matters too much in this case but it is actually 853 miles from Dundalk, Md to Henderson, Tn. If it will make it to Coker Creek, it will make it to Henderson! (All interstate)

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I have driven many a bone shaker's across country... The Key is to stop often, drive an hour/hour an half, pull over, let rest 10/15 minutes an Roll...
    Outlaw 356 Porsche California an back N/Y
    61 Willy's pickup(SBC) California/NY
    66 Dodge D-200 Nor cal/NY

28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had that truck with the 7.3, I wouldn't hesitate. The 7.3 is a much better engine than the newer ones Ford uses and will pull a trailer with your car on it like it's not even back there. If you're going to borrow a trailer, make sure the axle bearings are greased and all the lights work. A hitch for your truck is going to cost you much less than paying someone by the mile to move your car and when you're done with this trip, you've got a vehicle that can actually be used for something worthwhile. You're 71! I'm 75 and I wouldn't be afraid of this trip of yours in the least. Are you going to sit at home and worry about what's happening with your car or are you going to be there to see it? Come on, man, I'm not thinking morbid thoughts but neither of us has probably has a hell of a lot of time left. It's a chance to go somewhere different, eat different food, meet new people. Just do it, you won't regret it.

29. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

You guys and all your (great ) suggestions .. Feel like I'm on the high dive getting ready to turn around and go back down when I got 10 of my buddies hollerin "Jump" "jump" . :(:confused::oops::rolleyes:. I do appreciate all the suggestions . After all I did ask .

30. 5window

5window

Call one of the HAMB haulers like Bill's Auto Works. Sure it will probably make it, but it may not be the best time of year to drive. Do you really want to chance sitting in even 45 degree weather for a bit while help comes? I don't know your shop, but I would question anyone who tells me "10 days" that that is really 10 days. And, depending on when you arrive, 10 days might include two weekends when nothing is being done. Just a thought I have.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Bill's Auto Works likes this.