Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this Flathead heavy duty oil pan worth saving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziggster, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Ziggster

Ziggster

That is why I love working on my Toyota truck. Three sockets will get most fasteners off. 17mm, 13 mm, and 10 mm. Jeep/Chrysler could learn a lesson from them.

2. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Those will come in handy when you have to replace the corroded chassis!

3. Ziggster

Ziggster

Lol. Funny a few years back on my way to the dealer, I saw a forklift driving down the road in front of the dealer carrying a full frame into the workshop. They were replacing the Tundra frame under warranty. Crazy. No issues with my 97 LX450.
    image.jpeg

4. Ziggster

Ziggster

Soaked the oil sump clean out bolts and drain plug for a week with some Seafoam. Nuts/studs came off with barely any force. Gasket appears to be a factory made piece and not homemade. Getting the drain plug out may be a bit more tricky. Will try to get some more dents straightened out. Waiting on a No. 2 tip from the welding supply store also so I can braze in some of the rust holes and to repair the forklift tear. Damn. The clean out plate is 1/8" thick!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Ziggster

Ziggster

Damn. WTF? Looks like someone went at it with a torch or welder of some type.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

6. Ziggster

Ziggster

I can't believe it. If came off with a few taps of my 3 lb brass hammer and one of my large adjustable wrenches. That Seafoam works wonders. You can see someone just butchered the hell out of it at one point trying to get it out. Problem is that there are only two threads left in half the circumference. I'm not very comfortable with that.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

303racer and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. adam401

adam401

That pan is a nice piece. Glad you decided to fix it, you'll be glad too. Good job.

8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The drain plug threads look like they have been eroded from corrosion from sitting in water underneath the oil.
    The threads in the plate look good though. Perhaps the plug is available as a repro?

egads likes this.