Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What is this 1941 Ford Biz Coupe Worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Feb 6, 2020.

1. belair

belair

Bonded title in Texas.

2. Budget36

Budget36

Funny some talk about all the "hard to find parts", and what it will take and cost.

Mercy, if the OP wants a hotrod, and yes this car is asking for it, does he really need those elusive high dollar parts and trim?

Seems the FordBarn is spilling over to the HAMB.

"Yes, you can make a HotRod, but you have to have every Henry part/piece on it."

I recall Hotrodders taking un-essential parts off the car...not looking for a waterfall thing or that elusive trim piece.

I'm amazed.

3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Like somebody said earlier, you can't do both jobs of being the buyer and the seller. How hard is it to get a title for a non titled car in Texas? If it's doable then and you can get the car cheap enough then what the heck, you'll definitely have a good project to practice and upgrade your welding skills.

scrap metal 48 and seb fontana like this.
  4. low down A

low down A

i happen to think they make one of the best lookin tail dragger's . if your thinkin of buying a car in that condition you must have the skill's and finance's just ignore the chicken little bs. post your build here on the hamb and be the envy of all the naysayer's

Squablow and Hombre like this.
  5. Hey @chstitans42, you haven't checked into all this great advice and knowledge since Thursday afternoon...so did you buy it or what? 1/2 of us think you should, and the other 1/2 say run like you're being chased. You need to close this bracket so we know who wins!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    56don likes this.
  6. 2 to 3 g's on the west coast, 1 to 2 g's everywhere else.

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

The short door coupes are somewhat unusual and make great hot rods either as a custom or as a gasser/drag race coupe. If you can get it somewhere between $500 and $1000, I would get it. With a title I even would go a little higher.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. phat rat

phat rat

0385 (2).JPG Your idea of $1000 to $1500 sounds good to me. But I got more for a 41 business cpe in a lot worse shape than this one. I can't remember if it had a title or not. The only expensive glass would be the rear window everything else is just flat glass and I don't see it costing a grand. Here's my 41

LBCD, bchctybob and 32SEDAN like this.
  9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I guess it depends on where you are. That car would go for $5,000 easy over here.

10. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Get it as cheap as you can

bchctybob likes this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

patmanta likes this.
  13. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Agreed, 41's just dont get the love. I think your $500-$1000 range is more than enough.

14. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

It's hard to say without an inspection to see what needs repair/replacement, but I see the value as being dependent on the intended use of the buyer:

Restore or resto-rod build -- $0
    Rod or custom car build -- $500
    Race-only "gasser" build -- $1500 (no title required, simple interior, plexiglas for most windows)

If buying to part out, then your motivation is profit, and not enjoyment. Again, depends on the condition of each salvageable component and the value of your time, but I don't see it being worth the aggravation, regardless of price.

jim snow likes this.
  15. lake_harley

lake_harley

Rather shameless plug for a '48 I have for sale here. Clean title and much more complete and in better condition (in my opinion) than the car in the original post. Add a few hundred and I'll include an old ramp trailer, so all you have to do is show up with something to pull it and you're all set. A fresh, completely rebuilt 350 and a Wilcap adapter to mate it to the '48 transmission could also be included for a bit more money and it would be a one-shot hot rod "kit"! Be sure to read the entire post because I've been dropping the price.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1948-ford-super-deluxe-coupe.1158058/

Just offering a comparison of what's available.

Lynn

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'd love to use that for the Texas chop class coming up in March in Dallas...

17. chstitans42

chstitans42

Dude never texted me back, so I kinda left it on the back burner. Maybe in a few months Ill message him and see if he has come down from $2000

Squablow likes this.
  18. Crocodile

Crocodile

I just don't know what to think anymore. I have a solid 41 Tudor sedan for sale, very complete, with title, and nobody seems to want to travel for it at 1800. Yet I see people applauding someone starting with a no-title rust box that they were "lucky" to find for a grand.
    This car is a short door coupe, which is special. Some say to run? Are we all getting bipolar?
    41's are a bit of an odd-ball in the scheme of things, but they are a pre-war Ford, and even if not the top of Ford styling, all Fords are still generally better styled and more sought after than other makes. Even for the GM guys that insist on putting a SBC in them if for no other reason than believing everything should have a 350.
    The car in question is well worth buying (within financial reason), and buying another car to cull for what it needs. Fordors are usually easy to find cheaply. Hell, buy my car and kill it (which should be a sin) and you would still do well.
    I just don't know how guys are supposed to start the hobby if they get told to run like this thread shows. There are threads excited about stuff like a 53 Plymouth, when we all know that most people would walk across a nice one of them for a rough 41 Ford...
    Rant over-tell me how I am mistaken.

19. tinmachine

tinmachine
    from Midwest

Better looking car than any other Dodge, Chevy, Plymouth, Chrysler, or the lesser manufacturers from that era. Better looking really than a 46-48 Ford or Merc. Lots of room under the hood virtually anything you choose will fit. Plenty of nice parts laying around in collections for that car, and they are low buck. Don't really see that many of them rodded or restored. Big dent is just a fender, remove it and bang it out not a quarter panel issue. I say thumbs up on the old girl at $1500 it is cheap, $2500 would be tops.

Hombre and Crocodile like this.
  20. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

21. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Exactly right!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. phat rat

phat rat

This one for the same price didn't last long and was a heck of a lot better deal