Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Catch words, phrases coined

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeycarpunk, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Well, to try and turn this negative thread into a positive one, a friend just e-mailed this to me and I thought you guys might "get a kick out of it!" It's kind of long, but have some fun remembering when our Grandma's used to talk like this...

Lost Words From Our Childhood

Mergatroyd! Do you remember that word? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her quizzically and said, "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He had never heard of the word jalopy! She knew she was old ... But not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle. About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record, and Hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie. We'd put on our best bib and tucker, to straighten up and fly right. Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy Moley!

We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone by the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore. We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!"

We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone. Where have all those great phrases gone? Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth…
    See ya later, alligator! Okidoki.
    You'll notice they left out "Monkey Business"!!!

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 30's, 40's & 50'S ... NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN ... WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS: LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"

2. Dilligaf
    And a new one I find myself using,,
    I’m out of give a fucks

Chavezk21 likes this.
  3. Good !!!

Chavezk21 and wraymen like this.
  4. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I just used this phrase when trying to help a guy with his door adjustment...

Your junk is gonna sag too when you are seventy one years of age!

BigO and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well said, my father was a member of the” Greatest Generation “ they gave us a wonderful world to grow up in, just like you said! Best cars, best engines, best music, best girls, best times! I, for one , appreciate it! And I told my Dad that, before he passed at 91. I still tell my Mom, at 96! ( she still drives her car!)

Bones

Baumi, warbird1, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  6. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

When I worked in maintenance at a mill, we always had meetings with upper management. To this day, I cringe when I hear DUCKS IN A ROW or LET ME PICK YOUR BRAIN. As an apprentice, working with old people (over fifty) they always pronounced film FILAM, column COLUME, or battery BATREE. Thank you for letting me vent.

7. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

That brings up memories of working in foundry and they words got butchered. Crayon driver for crane operator, metal chargers for raw materials loaded into melting devices, cooplas for cupolas, railroad switchers for daily railroad car deliveries. Releaseman for relief operator. And it goes on!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. I think you meant to say "We old people"...not "us old people".....more trivial grammar that probably doesn't matter but this kind of stuff was drilled into my brain in 6th grade.

9. Mike

Mike

A few phrases that I find annoying are "bucket list", "man cave" and "hot mess".

bchctybob, Moon50F3, X38 and 5 others like this.
  10. ............As if "man cave" isn't bad enough, how about the "she shed"!!!:rolleyes:

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

How about “ Us Taryton smokers would rather fight, than switch” ? I bet that upset you, too! Lol

Bones

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NOS, as in this is an excellent restoration with a lot of NOS parts used in the re-build. They are not NOS once you bolted them on, just parts.

MILF...wait, I like that one, never mind.

jimmy six and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Where did "Take a shit" come from? I would say it should be, "Leave a shit". :D

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey now, don't be messing with the MILF, I don't have many forms of entertainment left!!!

jimmy six likes this.
  15. Damn dude,
    nothing better than mama walking into my man cave looking like a hot mess and asking me if she can scratch something off my bucket list.

16. 6sally6

6sally6

LMAO ( oh wait a minute....can't use that phrase, can eye?!)

Say what they want but........the ass-hat-middle age turds that prissy ass around with their durn ball cap turned backward drive me crazy! Cute on a two year old (or maybe a welder?!) but a grown man or teen with his ball cap on backward AND wearing sunshades!! Now that immediately pisses me off!
    OK-thank you
    6sally6

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  17. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Gotta check yourself these days of political (yeech) correctness, So "better to be pissed off than be pissed on".:cool:

18. Whoa homies y'all need to "get a life"!

bchctybob, Boneyard51 and jimmy six like this.
  19. Do you know the difference between a garbanzo bean and a chickpea ?

Ive not had a garbanzo bean on me

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Sock it to me

Flathead Dave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless it was Goldie Hawn back in the day. Oops, can't say back in the day, My bad. Oh shit not that either.

22. abc123

abc123

Sometimes a word or phrase is implied -- so maybe it's a shortened version of "Take a shit break from working."

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. As these guys once said IMG_0855.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

And “ spreeeaaad out!” I use that upon occasion! Lol.

Bones

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don't forget, "boomers" for chain snap binders. Don't know where that came from, unless it was the sound when you snapped them tight over center, boom!

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

“Binders”......for brakes!

Bones

Montana1 likes this.
  27. Like, this thread is awesome, you know what I'm sayin. I have to go get that new dizzy I'm jonesin for after I eat brekkie......cause my rims have the right patina to put on my barnfind. Having said that, I'm just the new cartaker of the sick new rat rodz with a leaky tranny from back in the day.

BOOM

Holy shit balls that hurt to type.

28. Did you hear about the 2 crabs on a toilet seat?

One got pissed off!

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. jchav62

jchav62

Or the newer short version... "Right?" Grrrrr.. That really frosts my huevos…

30. jchav62

jchav62

The word "Whip" for your car or truck...

arkiehotrods likes this.