Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The iconic hot rod of all hot rods!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 5, 2020.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

67905A22-13BA-401B-85F0-04F1E0097C32.jpeg C5909120-5155-4391-8C65-1241B1E13518.jpeg Trying to build one

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh yeh!
    On the other hand if I had a photo of Rachel Welch sitting in my roadster....................

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Growing up in the 50's in the Pacific NW, the 40 Ford coupe and the 49-51 Merc were the definition of hot rod and custom. Personally, the 33-34 Mopar coupes were always my favorite. It took me 50 years to find and build one but they are still my favorite.

DSCF1837.JPG

4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. guy1unico

guy1unico

This car is blue now with plaid interior...not mine.
    Why people change shit this fantastic, I don't know.

25.jpg

6. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'20's... a '27 bucket is cool. But I am not the biggest fan of not having a lid.
    '30's...a '32 Vicky, a '36 Plymouth coupe and a '34 Stude coupe in that order.
    '40's...a '40 Ford coupe, a '40 Merc coupe or a '49 Merc coupe in that order.
    '50's...a '55 Chevy 2dr sedan or a '57 Ford 2dr sedan in that order.
    '60's...too much to list.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Put simple !!!!! Yes;
    But no hood is: "Hot Rod Cleavage"
    abetters2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@dana barlow tell that old guy to stop leaning on your car. Some people!

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That guy now days is always in the way when I try too look in the mirror also,SOB

10. MASS PRODUCTION......it's mostly about numbers made - and to a wrecking yard guy - what's popular. Popular - get's kept - the rest get crushed !

The 1932 Mopars were nice looking......

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

It is fantastic although my car is the same color and I was thinking about painting mine blue also. lol. I don't know about plaid interior. Maybe he's tired of people calling it a Rat Rod. I know I am. To quote Ricky Bobby "Call it a Rat Rod, call it a Jalopy, just don't call it a trailer queen."

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. JimSibley

JimSibley

C8DDE6CA-26A2-4B49-B61D-C8B8349CBD5B.jpeg I’m going to half to go with a black, flamed , chopped 32 ford 5w coupe, fenderless with a blown small block, 4 speed and cheater slicks.

13. THE iconic hot rod is a '32 Ford. I love my Model A, but a deuce is the true icon.

-Brent- likes this.
  14. 33-34 ford coupes. Oh, the 32s are cool but they're a little too boxy for my taste. I always thought the model 40 was THE iconic hot rod with it's sexy, tapered body. 34falleaves10_18.jpg

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Chili Phil is correct but for me personally I agree with @Rocky
    A Deuce is the answer (whether it’s your personal favorite or not)

16. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

nochop likes this.
  17. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

If you ever get tired of this let me know so I can sell everything I own and buy it.;)

arkiehotrods and nochop like this.
  18. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

For me the iconic Mopars were the 60’s Super Stocks, 413 and 426 Wedges. “Little Ole LadyFrom Pasadena”

midnightrider78 likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Iconic often describes something or someone that is considered symbolic of something else
    Epitome is close to describing something that is an icon or iconic.

Hello,
    As long as we have been around hot rods and custom cars, throwing in drag racing into the mix, there have been outstanding cars shown to us. The key words here are “shown to us.” The early hot rods were plentiful, but it took the magazines and newspapers to “present” what the editors or owners of the magazine thought were their versions of a hot rod or custom.

It did not matter what we, as consumers of the magazines, liked or not, those “editor selections” were shoved down our throats on a monthly basis. So, we all assumed that was what a hot rod should look like and we all fell into place. Fender-less, whitewall, hot rod roadsters, with Flathead motors.

But, as the years rolled by, people still wanted to be different, but stayed within the choices of those editors. A roadster, but had to be a 32, was most the popular that was presented almost monthly on the covers or as a photo spread inside. Why a 32? Editor’s choice. Before the 32 were the equally cool Model A coupes, roadsters and sedans. Before that, the Model T group of roadsters, coupes and sedans were the forerunners of what is now known as iconic. (A 32 Ford of some kind.)

Innovations were abundant in the Model T and Model A Fords, so where was the love of those two models for hot rods? A first for the Model T as an icon:
    upload_2020-2-19_4-44-21.png
    “More than any other vehicle, the Model T helped America into the automobile age. The car also became a part of popular culture. Conceived by Henry Ford as practical, affordable transportation for the common man, it quickly became prized for its low cost, durability, versatility, and ease of maintenance. “

“The Ford Motor Company was incorporated in 1903 by Henry Ford, who transformed personal transportation with his Model T, an automobile that was reliable, efficient and reasonably priced. To meet the growing demand for the Model T, he designed the first moving assembly process to produce cars on a large scale. This assembly method was a great success and was widely adopted throughout the industrial world.”
    upload_2020-2-19_4-45-16.png
    “Ford's original Model T was the first car to undergo "speed modification," a hobby that quickly grew into a $60-million aftermarket industry.”

4 million Model A cars can’t be wrong… setting trends to last a lifetime.
    upload_2020-2-19_4-45-52.png

Jnaki

It is just an opinion, but the editors and owners raised the 32 as “the” hot rod, which is wrong. There were plenty of others just as nice or just a cool backyard projects, not being a 1932 of some model. The Model T grille/radiator was small and somewhat streamlined with the rest of the body design. Then the Model A also had a smaller looking grille and radiator. Then along comes a 32 with a huge grill to match the rest of the car and that is a difference to make it an icon? Sure, the original Flathead V8 was cool, but the front end of a 32 looks like a rounded off box, trying to push aside any wind or stuff coming towards the car.

As teens, no one wanted a 32. Most were out of reach due to the higher cost placed on them thinking the editors of magazines had knowledge of value in cars. But, it did not matter as millions of others built their own versions of hot rods and cruisers for teenage fun, fun, fun. As the years continued, the magazines continued to pursue the value of a 32 over all of the others, thus creating a rolling ball that was hard to stop. There were some people willing to pay for the right to drive a 1932 Ford of some kind. And it continues in a value crazed society to make the 32 vehicles more valuable than others.

That is too bad, and in most eyes, an icon is the epitome of something. A 32 is not an epitome of something.

Cars: “Let the good times, roll…”

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  20. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

There is definitely some truth here. Before the HAMB, I just always assumed that the only time people built a sedan "back in the day" was if they were too broke to afford a coupe. Additionally, I didn't think anybody ever built a 4dr unless it was free. Thankfully we have this great community to see how things really were.

jnaki likes this.
  21. Just Gary likes this.