Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech week 6-71 Blower rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Kozak, Jun 2, 2009.

1. squirrel

squirrel

About 50k since it was last overhauled by BDS

2. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Wow. Does it have many scratches?

3. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, but from what I can tell they're mostly old scratches. Also looks like some dents in the rotors were welded up long ago.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

One thing that may not have been mentioned and to watch out for especially on disassembled core blowers is never remove the rotors from the rear bearing plate by pressing or tapping in the center. Both rear shafts are hollow and have pressed in plugs that will fall in. Make or find a tool that registers on the outer edge of the shaft, a socket will work.

shawn ramsay and Kan Kustom like this.
  5. B A D dad

B A D dad
    from NSW

Thank you rodgeroadster for the pdf's, much appreciated ;)

6. trammel

trammel

Well written a lot of good knowledge.

7. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

While polishing my blower, Just about finished I noticed there is a crack on the side through one of the dowel holes (appears they were a little rough putting dowels in). It doesn't appear to be through the blower can it be fixed? or will it hurt anything? I'm assuming if they are cracked all the way through they will leak vacuum?

8. I am so glad that I found this thread. I just picked up a 6-71 today, fresh off a 1976 GMC 7500.

9. hipster

hipster

Great read, thanks for dragging it back into the light!

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

BTT. Might be of interest to you future (or present) GMC supercharger owners. My avatar was 4.71 small block Chevy powered and later 6.71 big block Chevy powered back in the '70s and I am building a '55 Chevy 4d moonshine car powered by a 6.71 small block Chevy. The juices are running again.

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Go man go ! I am working on a couple 671 blown early hemi's. Some of us have been dormant for awhile but are coming back . There are many of us die hard's out here.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

If you check Ebay or have a copy of Best Hot Rods. Fawcett books #465 has a great article starting on page 36 maybe someone can scan.
    [​IMG]

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Please tell us more!

14. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am getting close to cranking it. I decided to replace everything that might give trouble including gas tank and lines, the complete brake system including a new dual master cylinder, the complete front suspension and steering parts including new front hubs with tapered bearings replacing the ball bearings. A couple grand in parts alone. This car is the ugliest I have ever had and typical of cars sitting outside for 65 years....faded paint with some areas with no paint and some rust thru. It would have been embarrassing when I was younger. But I don't care at this stage of my life, it is what I want. A real sleeper moonshine runner with the original three on the tree. All the supercharged cars I have owned in the past were built to display the blower. I was hoping I could close the hood on this one but will have a small blower scoop sticking out of the hood dang it. I hope to have it on the road within two months and will post some pictures.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Frank this is such a coincidence!
    My wife and I were out for a drive yesterday in a neighborhood next town over from us.
    We rounded a bend and there in a driveway sat the nicest unrestored 55 Chevy 210, black, bone stock, black wheels and dog dish hubcaps. Cripes, I've wanted one for years!
    I didn't realize it until we had passed it that it was a four door, now there was a time when I would not have looked twice at one but I got to tell you, this thing was a beauty and all the way home I was quietly scheming on how to pull off buying it and it wasn't even for sale, not to mention not having the coin either, but boy did my mind take off on me.
    My mental picture was more subdued (visually) than the plan you have for your car but no less exciting, picture a "real deal" 302 Z motor and four speed (what else), quiet exhaust, etc. what better car to sucker in the street trolls.
    Then I came home and looked at my three unfinished projects and came back to reality.:(

mad mikey likes this.
  16. frank spittle

frank spittle

That's a car you won't be able to get off your mind for awhile.

17. Are you sure you can't make it fit? I know I've seen tri 5 Chevies with blowers under the hood. maybe custom motor mounts?

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've seen a few but I think there's more to it besides modded motor mounts.
    I did see a ?57 Nomad? in a magazine many years ago that had carb adapters that I think is called a "water buffalo" afair where a low profile casting allowed the carbs to mount adjacent to the side of the blower.

Found this one
    s-l400 (1).jpg

enloe and mad mikey like this.
  19. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Someone still makes this casting

20. frank spittle

frank spittle

The first GMC supercharged street car I remember was Charles John's '55 Chevy wagon, who worked at Ace Speed Shop in Charlotte N.C. This was mid 1960s. He ran a 4.71 SB Chevy and put the whole deal together himself from a "how to" magazine article. I believe the hood closed with no scoop. It must have had a side draft carb setup or I was so impressed I forgot the scoop. There were very few supercharged cars at the local drag strips back then and NONE on the street. Charles changed that. It was the first time I was able to hear a GMC supercharger whine at idle. I just loved everything about that car, especially when I was fortunate enough to cruise around the hangouts with him and share the unbelievable attention.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    mad mechanic and mad mikey like this.
  21. frank spittle

frank spittle

My first personal experience with a GMC supercharger came in 1971 when a local racer placed his BB/G 1941 Willys coupe up for sale. It had a 4.71 supercharged 368 cubic inch SB Chevy in it. I had finished redoing my avatar, a '33 Essex Terraplane convertible, about 2 years earlier and the 354 Cadillac engine wasn't enough anymore. So I asked him if he didn't get any buyers would he sell the engine and Muncie 4-speed. He said he would consider it. So I got back with him a couple weeks later and he had no takers so we struck a deal. The Cadillac was a race prepared engine including 2 fours but WOW what a difference it made. I ran that engine for 2 years and built a 6.71 supercharged 427 Chevy, which I ran 5 more years. I ran the shit out of both engines with no major problems, even on some 500 mile road trips. Looking back at some very fond memories I realize how fortunate I am to be posting this.

22. shawn ramsay

shawn ramsay
    from Canada

This is a great read and the reason I joined. Hello to all I appreciate the group and the info found within.I have been doing conversions as well for some years now and really enjoy the car group. I always like helping others and strive to find more information all the time. Anyone on here ever messed with anodizing rotors and cases? Im setting up to do so shortly. Cheers guys

kidcampbell71 likes this.