Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turbo 350 question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KahunaKat, Feb 12, 2020.

1. KahunaKat

KahunaKat
    from Texas

I have a Chevy Turbo 350 Transmission it came out of a 89 four wheel drive. How hard is it to change it over to a two wheel drive transmission?

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

You will need a 2 wheel drive output shaft and the extension housing to match it. There is a long and short output shaft

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  3. 47ragtop

47ragtop

The trans has to be disassembled and the shaft changed to a 2wd output with the corresponding leght tail shaft housing. Later Bill

greybeard360 likes this.
  4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes very true. The output shaft goes in the case first

5. I'd think somebody would be willing to trade you a comparable condition 2wd unit even-Steven. No wrench-spinning required.

6. You sure you have a 350 trans? I do believe last year for it was 84
    Could be a 700r or t400 in 89, Unless some one did a swap at one time.
    Square pan with a corner cut off?

Bobby38 likes this.
  7. Good observation, I agree that trans is not a T350. Probably a 700R4 if out of a half ton and behind a small block.
    Also agree that easier to just get a 2WD trans instead of converting 4WD to 2WD.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

8. G'day, Unlikely it would be a 350. Here in ND a lot of the early 700r transmissions failed quickly and a lot were replaced with the 350 trans. A custom shaft would be made to engage the transfer case correctly or you could take a long shaft 350 and cut approximately an inch off of the output. Local transmission shops made bank on that process.

Turning a 400R into a two wheel drive isn't that uncommon. Since it is an 89 transmission it should have all the good GM updates. It also should have the stronger K case with the 6 bolt heavy cast aluminum converter cover. It makes a good strong piece. Just need to find someone with extra 2wd shaft and extension housing. Replacing the shaft would involve examining the internals to make sure it is truly ready to go.

9. KahunaKat

KahunaKat
    from Texas

It's a 350 it came out of a 89 4 wheel drive Chevy truck. THM350
    20200213_094429 (1).jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    kevinrevin likes this.
  10. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Some people actually DO know what they are working on !! Yes that is a picture of a 350 turbo and despite the fact that so and so never came with so and so. It's only 30 plus years ago and in my 33 plus years with Chevrolet I saw a lot of things that were odd or not offered that came from the factory that way . Later Bill

11. KahunaKat

KahunaKat
    from Texas

Hey, 47!
    I'm sure it wasn't factory. The 89 it came out of was a 4x4 I'm just trying to find out what tail shaft and housing I have to get to turn it back into a 2x2!

12. 47ragtop

47ragtop

If i remember correctly there were 3 different length output shafts. The short and middle length were the most common. The longest one maybe a truck application not so common. I would ask an older or independent trans shop if they had any extra parts from trans that needed too many hard parts and rest was just put aside. Later Bill

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you have a local transmission shop, they should have one.
    If you have problems finding one, I'm sure I have what you need.

14. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this is an 80s TH350, it is probably a TH350c lockup. I would just go find a 70s TH350 that is stronger, more desirable and easier to find converters etc. for.
    Warren

[​IMG]

15. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

whats the differences between lockup and non lockup . what makes one better ??

16. A lock up trans has a device in the converter that connects the engine to the trans, with no fluid coupling (similar to a stick shift car with the clutch engaged) The RPMs will drop a few hundred and supposedly give you better gas mileage
    They were added to most American cars in the early 80's.
    A T350-C (lock up) is a bit different in the valve body area. It requires an electrical connection to operate the lock up..
    Most of the valve bodies and shift kits that are sold, are for the earlier, non-lock up T350.

17. If it’s a good transmission I’d just put it up for trade. To convert it you take it all apart, bare case. the last part you remove it the 4x4 out put shaft. The first part you put in is the 2wd out put shaft. Kinda sorta not worth it on a perfectly good trans

18. PackRatWrecker

PackRatWrecker
    from Kansas

Wouldn't bet against it being a factory 89 TH350. During that era, the Blazer, Suburban & 1-ton 4x4 pickups were still square body.
    Strange things left the factory during that transition period. A buddy of mine in Denver had a 91 full-size Blazer, with a factory iron 4-speed.