Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Koked up distributor in 327 chevy motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by demian5, Feb 18, 2020.

1. demian5

demian5

Anyone ever come across a koked up distributor shaft? I thought I had a bad condensor cause the car wouldn't start and run, it wanted to... but turned out the shaft of the distributor was tight in the body. Its a factory single point delco distributor. I noticed something was wrong when I got it to idle with distributor advanced, I blipped throttle and distributor physically moved to the retarded position (as far as it could go).

I disassembled it and cleaned it out and its all good now, just what a goofy thing to discover.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

what is that word--koked??

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Ive taken apart cast iron Chevy V8 distibutors where it was a bear to get the shaft out.Soak in penetrating oil,and tap up,and down for days to free the shaft.I can see how it could happen

5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

watched that show a couple weeks back.

i had a couple distributors in the past that had locked or almost locked, soaked them in marvels mystery oil and got them moving again. sold them at a swap meet after that.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. 6sally6

6sally6

Think he means coked-up..........like in Breaking Bad.........naw, wait a minute!
    6sally6

7. saltracer219

saltracer219

That varnish like build up is tough, but I have found that a liberal dose of WD40 and working the shaft back and forth will get then out quickly.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Soak it in cider, no not that!

9. demian5

demian5

Man you guys are funny, I guess a better term would be "carboned" up. Yes I sprayed some penetrating oil in it to get the shaft out, used a brass bottle brush to clean (and scotch brite for the shaft) its all good now.

Koked (coked) I guess is just a turbocharger term. Ill need to update my usage...

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. There too young to know what coke you are talking about.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 likes this.