Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy Distributor/1947 Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Richard Reed, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

I have installed a chevy distributor in my 59A 1947 flathead. How do I find #1 terminal on the cap? I know where #1 cylinder is located and the firing order and distributor rotation. Just need to get #1 located. Thanks

2. alchemy

alchemy

Doesn't matter. Just make sure whichever you designate #1, you follow the Chevy order the rest of the way around.

3. speedshifter

speedshifter

Wouldn't you want to wire the cap to the flathead firing order? Greg

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you installed a "Chevy Distributor" in a '47 flathead, you must have used an 8BA front cover and a converted distributor (if you did it some other way, please start a new thread on it; I'd like to see what you did). Assuming that you are using an 8BA type distributor, I think it would be advisable to stick to the 8BA plug wire convention, where number one is the bottommost wire on the cap (6 o'clock).

5. alchemy

alchemy

I mean in the proper rotation. Yes, the flathead order on the block.

6. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Does the rotor button need to be pointed at the #1 cylinder when at TDC?

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, on the firing stroke. 4 cycle engines are at TDC twice during any given firing cycle. Put your thumb on the #1 spark plug hole, and the TDC just after it blows your thumb off is the one you need. Please note that the "bump" on the crankshaft pulley is 4 degrees before TDC, but it's close enough for initial timing.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my 8BA here is how I located TDC. Remove number one plug, stick a long plastic wire tie in the hole nut end down. Slowly crank by hand until the wire nut binds against the head. Mark that spot on the bottom pulley. Crank it around the opposite direction until the wire tie nut binds up again. Mark that spot as well. Directly In-between those marks is TDC. Its easy and accurate.

lodaddyo and alchemy like this.