Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Ozzie Build

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BS!, Mar 13, 2019.

1. spanners

spanners

Something to consider. Leave the plain water in the system for now to avoid the issue I had on the dyno. When the revs built up it blew the lower hose off showering everyone with coolant. Luckily no injuries but could've been expensive if it was the good stuff. That was caused by my custom hose fitting which I rectified.
    As far as posting videos, I downloaded to youtube and then transfer them to the thread.

2. BS!

BS!

Good idea. Considering I've already wasted 10L of it so far. Will try the YouTube thing

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

3. BS!

BS!

Crosley likes this.
  4. BS!

BS!

First time I've ever uploaded video footage to the Interwebs.. hopefully it worked?

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  5. spanners

spanners

Worked good from where I'm sitting, both video and engine. I like the way the family gets into it too.

6. BS!

BS!

Good to hear it worked. Yes the whole family love the "race car" luckily my wife grew up with cars and motorbikes thanks to her old man who is helping me in the video

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thoroughly enjoyed the vid, the sound, the manager's videography, and the "muff"s on the Kids. :cool:

8. BS!

BS!

Glad you enjoyed it. I can tell you I didn't mind it either!!

Anyway, car is off to be run in and dyno tuned while I head back to work on the other side of the country. It's going to be a long week. Once I get back from work I'll have a few little things to finish and then hit Carralbyn for a few shakedown runs.

Here is my youngest "helping" load it up.

[​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  9. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Lookin' good there brother. See you on the weekend.

BS! likes this.
  10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

"It's Alive"! Always a great step forward when you make noise for the first time. Seems like tradition with my builds that it usually happens about 11:30 PM.:rolleyes:

BS! likes this.
  11. spanners

spanners

Come on Brendon, don't be shy. How did it go at Caralbyn and more importantly, did you enjoy it?

12. BS!

BS!

It was a great event but unfortunately the car did not make it. I got properly stitched up by the "tuner". Turns out this bloke shouldnt be changing lawn mower spark plugs let alone touching peoples cars.

Long story but I dropped the car off on my way to the airport/work last week. First mistake was not trusting my gut. When I got to the workshop he works out of I didnt have a great feeling about it but I had a plane to catch so I left it with him emphasising that I'll be back in a week to pick it up and go racing. He ensured me that would be fine.

I didnt hear from him all week and rang him as I was waiting at the airport to fly home from Perth to confirm it was still on track for me to collect the next day. All of a sudden, after not hearing from him all week he started making excuses. Instantly I knew my initial gut feeling was right. This dickhead was a pretender.

Fuming, I rocked up with the car trailer once I get home. What I discover is he has disconnected one set of points and 2 of the 3 carbys. So running worse than what it was when I dropped it off.....

Trying hard to fight the urge to murder this prick I took the car home, unloaded it in the garage and then headed off with the family to Kooralbyn to camp with friends trying not to think about it.

After a weekend away I lifted the roller door and assessed the situation. Brand new dizzy from dave a vintage racing developments as I said had one set of the dual points disconnected, the set that was still connected had been messed with and as a result the wire to the points had been rubbing on the rotor and had rubbed through to bare wire. The dizzy cap had the carbon button snapped off the underside of it and as a result the spark had been arcing out and destroyed the rotor button.

With the carbs he only had the center carb operating and he told me the radiator was leaking so that is as far as he could go. I've since pressure tested the cooling system and can guarentee it aint leaking.....

He also has managed to loose some of the washers under the bolts holding the body panels on and has scratched the shit out of the ceramic coating on the headers.

Im absolutely furious. Anyway im back to work tomorrow, I've got 3 weeks to get over it and start again..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Crosley likes this.
  13. BS!

BS!

On a side note Brians car looks really good and appeared to be running strong all day. It was super hot and humid all weekend but looked like a heap of fun.

[​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  14. spanners

spanners

That would piss me off. I know that time wasn't on your side but look around for an old school tuner or have a go yourself. As for the distributor, get in touch with Dave that built it as to adjustment. I do mine by ear. Get it running, preferably in a deserted industrial subdivision, crank it up and adjust it till it runs smooth.

Crosley and BS! like this.
  15. BS!

BS!

Thats the new plan. I'm going to go over everything, start from scratch and have a crack myself. Ive already spoken to dave and hes given me some good instructions on how to check and reset everything so will let you know how I get on. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back but all good. I'll get it sorted

Crosley likes this.
  16. BS!

BS!

Hi All, long time no speak. I hope everyone is keeping safe in these crazy times.

I've managed to get back home after all this covid shit when crazy in OZ back in March.

As mentioned I work as a mining contractor doing fly in fly out from QLD to the Pilbra region in WA some 6000km away (sorry for the metric measurement). Back in March I had the heart breaking decision to choose between having to relocate to WA without the family to be able to keep working and earning a living or join the unemployment que with everyone else who had lost their jobs during this shit show....

Anyway, as I said I have managed to sneak home and see the family who I hadn't seen since March. On top of that I managed to sneak a bit of shed time in and rectify all the shit the the "dyno tuner" messed up.

There are still a few little jobs and adjustments to make which I have ran out of time for but the car is closer to being ready for the strip than it has ever been.

Stay safe everyone. Hopefully there will be a smaller time frame between updates [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  17. spanners

spanners

Good to hear from you. Yes, it's hard being away from family like that but sometimes you have to grab the income while you can. I was a truck driver for the 40 years before I retired and for the first 20 years I did local, intrastate and interstate. The years I was an owner driver I was lucky to spend a weekend at home. Set yourself a time frame of how long you will do it and stick to it.
    I've moved to Temora, about 600 Klms South West of Sydney but hope to still travel up to Qld for the racing. It'll just add another 6 hours to the trip.
    Hope to be racing at Warwick in September. Stay safe.

BS! likes this.
  18. BS!

BS!

I had this pop up as a Facebook memory today. It was this chat with Spanners that convinced me to purchase my chassis and start building one. This year was meant to be my debut 6 bangers. Not to be.[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

It's said that if you want to hear true laughter, you need only tell God your plans. ;)

I started, just this morning, on the body work of a "wagon to sedan delivery" project of which I started on the mechanicals over six years ago.

Life does, at times, tend to alter our plans. :D

BS! likes this.
  20. spanners

spanners

I'm feeling for you Brendon. All that work to get the car certified and can't even have a run. I've got mine certified with both ANDRA and IHRA and have run mine once since. At least ANDRA has extended my licence by six months to make up for the cancellations caused by Covid. The other mob isn't doing that.

21. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That doeth suck, Gentlemen. From that, do I understand that you're required to purchase memberships in your sanctioning organisations in order to be allowed to race? Here, we only need to meet their specs & adhere to their rules. At least in the smaller classes, membership isn't required, I don't know about the big boys.

22. spanners

spanners

G'day Dick. Over here you can turn up at an event and take out a day licence and have your car scrutineered, pay your money and away you go. Because of the obviously home built look of our cars some scrutineers get a bit officious so it's easier to have your car certified by the sanctioning body that the track uses and a licence as well. When you turn up you fill out a self audit form stating the car is right to run. I like doing it this way because you avoid the queue at scruteneering where they bring the big boys around you and then go through all the back slapping and hugging of 27 crew members while you're sitting in the sun.
    The problem is I race at several different tracks that use ANDRA or IHRA so I need the car certified by both and a licence for both. Whilst I try to avoid getting on my soapbox about this, IHRA came over here and they're only interested in the big boys and getting spectator bums on seats so they price their fees accordingly. ANDRA licence cost me $140 for a year and IHRA wanted $230 Australian for the same licence. A day licence is $50 plus the track fee.
    But I'm not bitter:mad::mad:

Black Knight Racing and Crosley like this.
  23. BS!

BS!

Exactly what spanners has said. The big capital city tracks in nsw and qld are IHRA and the smaller country tracks are ANDRA.

When the covid rubbish is over and we have travel restrictions lifted I plan to run both so as per spanners post have chosen to have the car techd through both sanctioning bodies and hold licences in both too.

I have been home from WA the last 2 weeks for a bit of a R&R. Its been a productive break, lots of time with the family and snuck some planned shed time in to get a few more of the little finishing tasks crossed off the list. I managed to sneak my "first backyard test hit" in (no neighbours were harmed in this process) and get the car through ANDRA tech. Im pretty much a wheel alignment and tune away from having the car ready for the track now.

I've entered Carralbyn 1/8th mile for late feb next year. This is the event I was hoping to debut the car at this year but we all know what a disaster this year has been. Im hoping it will be easier to get too and from WA by then but with the Supreme Leader over there being all political about Eastern staters taking jobs and money from "his people" im not holding my breathe.. see what happens.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Great looking and great sounding car good luck and have fun.

25. spanners

spanners

Good to hear from you. I haven't entered for Carralbyn yet as it'll depend on borders reopening. Hopefully racing at Gunnedah at the end of this month, weather permitting. Haven't raced since October last year.

Crosley likes this.
  26. BS!

BS!

Yeah its been a horrible year. Im back in iso in WA. It will be a month ive spent in self isolation/quarantine this year but I guess thats nothing compared to what the guys in Victoria are going through. Hopefully things keep improving. I hope you are doing well too and hopefully catch up at a track soon

Crosley likes this.
  27. spanners

spanners

Car sounds good and beautifully detailed. I like how you've done the crankcase breather. I used an exhaust scavenger setup on mine but you get a burst of smoke out the pipes on start up.

28. spanners

spanners

Dave Andrews the distributor bloke suggested to me to carry a spare Bosch module for the dizzy. He said it would be the most likely part to give trouble and they're not very expensive. Cheap insurance to be able to keep racing on the day.
    I'm going to try to post a video of my driveway testing. Computer has a new operating gizmo.

Brian Handle and BS! like this.
  29. spanners

spanners

For those that couldn't make it to Carralbyn in 2020 such as myself.

BS! and Crosley like this.
  30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group