Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Up in smoke ~ Hot Rod burnouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

a ‘Hot Rod’ can fulfill more than one ambition or motivation. Sure, performance is usually one of the criteria that a builder seeks to achieve. And for some, that may be enough. But for a lot of others, it’s the creative process......imagining the desired result, overcoming challenges in design and engineering, striving to get the right ‘look’.....the car is a canvas, a sculpture....and expression of one’s creativity......none of which requires burning off the tires as a condition of achievement......at least in my opinion....perhaps not in yours.

Ray

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^ Thanks Ray.

Bob

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My Hot Rod is a race car, I'm not to be trusted with a Hot Rod street car.

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

up in smoke...is where my money goes.

my local track has relaxed the rules for their burnout contests at their events. the rules now are: do whatever you want, for as long as you want. this was a fresh set of all seasons... i shut er down when i heard cords flappin.

don't forget to crank up the speakers.

5. I was at a local show 2 years ago, at the end a burnout contest and a revving of the engines... I'm in one video... making for the exit with my car.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. I had no idea we are so different on the subject of doing a burnout. I do understand building a Kustom or show car that can't do one. I'm all about art, and love the Roth bubble tops, cool show Rods etc. We are all very different in our likes, and dislikes. { THAT'S VERY COOL! } I also get being a grown up, and not wanting not to showoff. So I guess I fall in the middle of this debate. I just had my old worn out 350 sbc Chevy rebuilt in the Nomad. I think 350 to 400 H.P. is good for any street driven Hot Rod. I do like breaking the tires lose every now and then. I also enjoyed watching the video of the Chevy in that burnout contest. But I could never do that to one of my Hot Rods. Like I said, We are all defferent , and that's what I like best about our hobby. Keep all the cool pictures coming, and { Smoke'm if ya got'm } or not. Ron.......

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  7. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

My brothers 29 just before he bought it. All stock 4 banger! jimmy29.jpg

Deuces, WC145, Hollywood-East and 4 others like this.
  8. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

A little history about my 50 Ford in post #24. I bought it in 1995 with 37k original miles. It had been parked in 1962 with 32k miles by original owner. She sold it in 1992, the engine was stuck, so 2nd owner installed another flathead, He supposedly drove to Texas and back. He was asking over $10k but I couldn't afford it. He ended up trading it for a truck at a used car lot, where I bought it for $4,500. It became my daily driver, rain or shine for over 2 years. In '96 I rebuilt the original flathead (came with car), .030 over, Isky cam, Mallory distributor, Fenton headers, Offy heads, 3 deuces, etc., etc. Stock was 100 hp, I must have increased it to at least 110 hp. Lol.

Now for the good stuff. The night I got stopped for doing the burnout, I was pulling out of Advance Auto showing off to the store manager. Tim had asked me how the flathead was running, so I was showing him. The next day on the way to a car show I stopped by to see Tim. He asked if the cop had caught me, I told him no, that I had put in my Thunder Road tape and out run him. Lol. Anyway, I told Tim, I wouldn't get in trouble doing a burnout in the parking lot and proceeded to show off again. I think I laid nearly one foot of rubber before the tranny blew. Oh, well, I had a car show to attend. I made it there and back home using 2nd, 3rd and overdrive. I think that was the only time I took out 1st gear, but 2nd gear is another story. Took out 2nd over 10 times, once going to another car show. Almost turned around and went home but she was still pulling. Pulled into the show making all kinds of noise, even won a trophy that day. Tried to drive home, but had to call a roll back.

Burnout contests? Yes, I tried it once, and yes with my '50. Stupid, I know, but, I had to try. I couldn't get the tires to break loose no matter how much I tried. Only thing I smoked was the clutch. Later, back at the hotel, I realized that I had never emptied the trunk.

This car was a daily driver and I put over 10k road trip miles on it. 80k miles total before I quit driving it around 2007. No power shifting and/or burnouts away from home. Maybe a 2nd gear chirp, but thats all. I've broken 3 transmissions in 2 wks before.

I drive my cars and if they break, I fix them. BTW, when I would put a floor jack under the '50, the transmission bolts would automatically start loosening.

I can sure get long winded, sorry.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

@jho Model A Coupe, night before the 2017 HAMB Drags.

54delray, El Hueso, Ned Ludd and 7 others like this.
  10. I just could never justify burning up a set of good tires, although I have done it in the past and it is a lot easier with automatics. At shows, it just brings unwanted attention from neighbors and cops. One great cruise night was shut down for a few years due to that. The engine-revving in neutral thing is beyond me... one real old timer was standing near me at one... he just shook his head.

Ron Funkhouser and Gman0046 like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

True, personally I think burnouts are over rated, guy in his 70's would look stupid doing one. Bob

grifcarnut likes this.
  12. I guess i need to design my cars to hook up better lol. I have a need for speed, but i get the point. What I'm reading is build a car, then sit and look at it don't waste that gas by driving it. :rolleyes:

WC145 and fauj like this.
  13. I guess it's like the jacked up four wheel drives with all of the latest technology in off roading, but yet they never leave the blacktop, we call them "mall crawlers" around here ;)

fauj, wraymen and raven like this.
  14. Do what I do sometimes, make a run through the 1/4mi. at about 2:00 a.m.. No one will see you. Well except maybe for that cop, and my wife that one time.:rolleyes:

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I guess its like everyone who doesn't feel the same about their car as you do should be ostracized ........is that it ??

16. Who me? Not at all, personally i don't care what others do. I enjoy building my cars, from design, to chasing down parts, to every aspect of building my cars, with the exception of upholstery, right up to burning the damn tires off for the first time :D don't hate me for being the way i am.

WC145 likes this.
  17. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

18. Damn that sounds good.

19. Relax guys, the OP just asked for pics of burnouts. There are hundreds of “what I hate”and “what’s cool or playing the fool” threads on here already. Let’s not make them all that way.

WC145 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. this is a traditional hot rod site with the emphasis on hot rod. the traditional drive your car like your wife drives the family prius to church is another site. I think arnie beswick at 80 plus looks cool burning the tires in his pontiac

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  21. 6sally6

6sally6

"After 70+ years I have learned to NEVER trust a fart!"
    But(no pun intended)........how did we get from burnouts to farts in one topic?? You guyz slay me!!!
    6sally6

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There are burnouts (moving) and there are burndowns (not moving), which are we talking about here.

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Driving your car " like a hotrod" continuously would invariably result in loss of license ,etc. Soooo , if you must always drive it " like a hotrod" , the only place you'll be able to drive it is at the strip ! That leaves me and alot of others out .. Sniping is a senseless endeavor !!

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I forgot that one!!!!! :D

25. Deuces

Deuces

I'm sure my daily can break the rears loose at the drop of a hammer... But at $500.00 a piece to replace, I don't think I could swing it.... :(
    It does 10.90s in the quarter... :D;)

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok- I’ve cleaned up the off topic posts and it’s open again.

I deleted pictures of Not HAMB Years / newer car burn outs, animals , misc off topic.

If you want it to stay open - please keep on topic.
    Thanks .

54delray, Deuces, grifcarnut and 4 others like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The picture I posted was at the 2018 FallOut Drag. This picture was taken with a 35mm slr manual camera with black and with film that we developed are self. That was me in the burnout contest, first contest I have ever entered, think I have a video on my youtube channel. Now I didn't try and burn my car or tires down, just went out to have a little fun and entertain the crowd. If the crowd is entertained they well come back to the track and buy tickets, selling tickets is what keep the race tracks open and I'm all for that. Towed dang near 500 mile one way for that weekend. :cool:

slayer, Max Gearhead, Gammz and 4 others like this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here’s another very short video clip of Brian Bass and his Hemi coupe showing that he’s a real hot rod hooligan. :cool::D

fauj and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. Thank you. HRP

54delray, fauj and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There IS an honest correlation between the 2...

A GOOD BURNOUT will leave black "skid marks" in your driveway:)

A BAD FART will leave brown "skid marks" in your underwear:(

Just sayin' :D

Ron Funkhouser, fauj and Deuces like this.