Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spoon pedal spring installation help needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Feb 17, 2020.

1. I tried a couple searches here and the Barn but came empty handed. Hoping someone here can help me.
    I am in the process of installing this '36 spoon pedal in my Model A Roadster, so I made quick template to find the right location for the holes and the pass through cut out.
    Everything fits well but once I install the spring, it feels there is too much return tension on it.
    The pedal sits almost straight up...I don't remember on my '36 truck ever seeing anything like it.

thumbnail_IMG_5519.jpg
    With the spring mounted, in which I think is the right location, the pedal returns only stopping at what would be the firewall. The upper part of the pass though cut out.

thumbnail_IMG_5523.jpg
    I thinking it should sit somewhere lower, to what it would be the floorboards, no?

thumbnail_IMG_5520.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5521.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5522.jpg
    This is how the spring is mounted. I tried rotating the spring, rotating the sleeve on the shaft but it always returns to the same position....

The pedal works well, smooth, no binding but I am not sure what I am missing. It returns the pedal with plenty of force. The spring appears to be original, just like the rest of the parts.

Is it going to relax once I connect it to the carbs to the linkage? Wouldn't that put to much stress on the carb shafts? Maybe the wrong spring?

Thank you in advance

2. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

It looks right, once the linkage is hooked up to the carb the spoon will drop down to the right position.

clem likes this.
  3. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Yes, You need the right length linkage hooked to the carb. Solid rod linkage not a cable. That will put the pedal in the right position.

4. alchemy

alchemy

After a decade of driving my sedan with a stock 32 pedal and spring, I removed the stock spring. I use two (dual carbs) of the little Stromberg-made springs that fit around the carb base at the shaft and press on the linkage arms. And then one more spring attaches to the linkage and pulls straight forward to a bracket. Much less foot pressure required, and my leg doesn't cramp up on long trips.

hfh and Algoma56 like this.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Yep that's right, I'm running the same pedal in my flathead A and when it's disconnected it lays almost flat on the right head. I made the throttle rod from the linkage to the carb where it gives me full travel on the carbs before the pedal hits the floor. Kind of hard to see but in the first picture you can see the lever laying on the head and in the second picture with the linkage connected. works nice and smooth and doesn't need any other throttle return spring.

Attached Files:

flatford39 and olscrounger like this.
  6. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

I like how you mounted it to a flat plate to get a idea of how it works before putting it in the car..... I’m in the same boat with my AV8 and I’m having the same issue with the pedal not being where I think it should be. Gonna play around now! I’ll have to admit, I don’t understand the cups that go on before the nut, if it’s just used as a washer then why not just use a washer?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just asking but do you really need a spring on the pedal ??

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I ditched the factory spring, as it wasn't needed for my carb setup. The cup is used as a washer and to cover the hole in the factory firewall insulator. The flange on the cup spans the outside of the hole in the insulator and acts as trim to help keep it contained against the firewall. The length of the linkage rod to the carb determines the position of the spoon from the floor.

olscrounger likes this.
  9. redoxide

redoxide

being as thick as a plank, I mounted mine all wrong, but it works. A little heat and bending and it was perfect :) I have no idea what mine came from, It was in the bitsa box.. works great ..

DSCF6562.JPG

Johnny Gee, GordonC and sawbuck like this.
  10. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i did the same ...i musta did it wrong too

redoxide likes this.
  11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Like Idaho dave points out, when the solid rod spans from the carb to the ball at the end of the linkage, the pedal will be in a normal position. You will probably need to play with rod lengths to make it comfortable so I would make the rod adjustable.

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of dark pics of mine. Fitted it to the firewall of the car and then had to heat and bend the arm and also cut and adjust the linkage to the carb about 3 times before I got it right. I also added a small return spring to make sure it won't get stuck. Works pretty well.

20200218_201831.jpg 20200218_201843.jpg 20200218_201849.jpg

13. Thank you all for your responses. I guess I was over thinking it.
    Huge thank you for all the pics...I am a visual guy.
    I am glad the HAMB is here to guide the way.
    Thank you again!

Pete Poling likes this.
  14. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Any progress??? Pics? Still trying to figure out the same problem

15. For more details check out my build thread, page 13...here is what I did. Hope it helps

These are the dimensions I came up after it was all done
    thumbnail_IMG_5546.png

I am using a 59AB with two carbs and an Offenhauser intake. I measured so the arm will be level with the top of the manifold and the joint in the arm will line up with the carb in hopes to avoid any bidding once connected to the lever.
    thumbnail_IMG_5526.jpg
    I built this knuckle similar to the one on the other side, since the original cover won't fit due the firewall difference in shape. Simple piece of round tube and a cut off screw.
    thumbnail_IMG_5533.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5534.jpg

Fits nice and tight against the firewall. Works super smooth.
    thumbnail_IMG_5539.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5535.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  16. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Great details! Thanks for the pics! All the really good pics look like 30-31 firewalls and I have a ‘29. Can anyone pull a measurement of the spacing between the the right side of the brake pedal and where the spoon pedal starts?