Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Water passage head plug

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 17, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got a Gen 1 350, Target Master I think. Went to remove the plug in the head to install a mechanical temp gauge. Female square drive plug, smaller than 3/8", larger than 1/4"? Am I going crazy?

2. squirrel

squirrel

5/16" perhaps? They can be a pain to remove. Use the correct tool, so you don't screw it up and have to drill it out.

square.jpg

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I just went through this on my sbc in my 47 buick when I changed sender locations. GET THE RIGHT TOOL! Lippy

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was at O'Reillys a couple hours ago, they had never heard of a 5/16" square drive. On the way home I realized I have some 5/16" lathe bits. However, I noticed the other side's head, that I wasn't going to use, had a regular hex plug, and I found a fitting that fit. So that's that. Tested the lathe bit, tight fit and plenty hard but no reason to chance it.

Thanks guys.

5. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have used a square shank punch and adjustable wrench. A punch shank is a lot tougher than a lathe bit.

Gary

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5/16" lathe bit or key stock in a 5/16" 8 -point socket.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sometimes them plugs can be a real bitch even with the right tools.

olscrounger and egads like this.
  8. Mac Tools makes a set of square plug sockets. The set I have includes a 5/16”. It’s not surprising that nobody at O’really’s had never heard of one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19Eddy30 likes this.
  9. A lathe bit (tool steel) is too hard/brittle, don't use it. And just because someone did in the past doesn't make it right. Key stock would work better, but the right tool for the job is always the way to go. A little heat wouldn't hurt either.

10. squirrel

squirrel

If it's easy to get to, a LOT of heat, some oil, and a smack with a hammer usually get them loose, so the proper tool will work to unscrew them.

Used to be one of my favorite tasks at the machine shop.

11. Fordors

Fordors

When I have to remove a pipe plug in a block or head I use a candle, a natural one made with bees wax. Light it and drip some wax on the threads of the pipe plug. It will wick it's way in and lube the plug making it easier to remove.

12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That bastard size plug probably cost GM $.00025 less than a plug that actually fit a wrench.

blowby likes this.
  13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Target master is the problem. If I remember correctly these engines were assembled in Mexico, so it hard telling what they were assembled with

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I use one of my Mac 1/8'' number stamps and a 12'' Crescent.

15. speedshifter

speedshifter

Regarding the5/16 square drive needed I have a Snap On torque wrench that is 9/32" drive, have heard that odd size was used during WW2. Greg

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Speedshifter,
    Yes that was a Military size. Do you have a part number? If you can post a picture of the Snap-on logo on it I can probably tell you the year of manufacture.