Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wayne Carini's 1930 Model A Hot Rod Sold at Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Day2Muscle, Jan 21, 2020.

1. I would rock that suit.

2. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

That car is Fugly as hell!! what as waste of some really cool parts.

WiredSpider and nochop like this.
  3. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I think if you're claiming $1M to build a hot rod, your doing it expressly to appeal to Middle East buyers.

More power to him... It's a pretty car except for the broke dick frame... And there are a ton of custom touches on it that probably cost a fortune. I just think some of that $300k is profit, no matter who built it.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This picture tells me all I need to know about this car. No wonder Carini sold it!

Hnstray, alanp561 and anthony myrick like this.
  5. AndyLeachriddlerwinner.jpg When I was out nosing around Andy's shop I saw the last-year's [or maybe 2017?] Riddler winner up on a lift....got to really check out the under-wear details. Super detailed 40.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Ted and Colleen`s Land speed racer as well.

loudbang likes this.
  7. AndyLeachssaltcar.jpg

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a good looking car. it would also be a good looking car if he took it back a few notches.
    all the extra do dads and detailing don't add much for me , especially when compared to the cost.

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian Bass is totally capable of building alongside the very best million dollar shops whether they are located east, west, north, or south of Dallas. He is a very low/key guy who lets his talent do his talkin'.

10. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Oh yes, I agree with that completely. I hope my comparison of the two was not taken in a way to suggest he couldn’t. That was not my intent at all.

11. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I have seen the car in person and it great looking with a lot of innovative features.

12. I wouldn't mind the car sitting in my garage, I believe I could fix all the negative things that have been pointed out, especially the spring over the frame and the ugly pushed in grille insert.

I do respect the work the builder did, it's over the moon. HRP

anthony myrick likes this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's a chopped model A, quick change, with a blown Ardun-head flatty. Any shit-talk on this car smacks of sour grapes.

Hombre likes this.
  14. It’s super cool and I would be proud to own it.
    Except the front axle and grill

kidcampbell71 and alanp561 like this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

that is an asinine statement. One can be critical of this car on it’s own merits without secretly wishing they had it. I would only be interested in owning it if I could buy it for a lot less than what I could promptly sell it for.

your statement is essentially saying “if I like it must be right and anybody who doesn’t like it is lying ‘cause they are jealous. “. Ridiculous.

Ray

16. Seen the car in person.
    Absolutely stunning craftsmanship
    Beautiful paint. Detailed to perfection.
    The engine and rear axle are works of mechanical art.
    The front axle’s placement and grill dimensions looks misplaced proportionally with the rest of the car.
    The front axle’s engineering looks sketchy.
    I would love to be corrected on the engineering part. The proportional issues are just matters of taste personally.
    Regardless, the skillful folks that worked on it should be proud.
    I would.

ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

My statement is saying that there are a bunch of strong negative opinions on here about this car while other Model As with lesser build quality but the same basic ingredients are praised. I find that suspect.

We have a thread on this board titled "tired of homogenized hot rods", but when someone dares do something a little different with stance or otherwise, now the car is fugly and a waste of parts. I don't get it.

stanlow69 likes this.
  18. What's to get? It's the HAMB mantra. Build your car anyway you want, but it better be how we tell you to do it.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No matter how much you spend, you can't buy good taste.

Blue One, nochop and Hnstray like this.
  20. The thread has prompted a lot of interest and replies. My comment ....informative and educational for me . Thanks to all who pointed out the wrongs and rights of the car. My build skills are honed and homegrown in a backyard garage, my budget too...... and my imagination level does not go too far beyond speed shop marketing . Best said , I like it that way! To see this level of build power regarding craftsmanship , money , outsourcing, purpose , notoriety , tax loss, and showmanship goes way beyond my backyard ....my neighborhood too. I commend and respect those who can do it . Having such diversity in this hobby from the little guy to the most wealthy is what keeps the hobby alive . For those who play at the highest levels perhaps with their influence they can persuade the politicians to leave this hobby alone and let the money keep flowing. "Hot Rod and Hot Rodder" are both in the dictionary and are part of Americana as we progressed through the decades . Enjoy it no matter what level you fall in and remember your A, B, C's.....Always Be Cool. Later .

egads and Hnstray like this.
  21. Hombre

Hombre

I do not understand the need for some to criticize this car. If you don't like it that's cool, but why the need to knock it? It did cost a butte load of money to build, but hell it's not your money so why does it matter? The builder did a lot of modifications some I like some I could just leave alone, all and all I like this car.
    I guess it kinda sorta like attending any car show today. You take the trip sometimes hours away and some times minutes to get to this car show. You set in the grass with your cooler and a lawn chair and all of these spectator Pilgrims come by and tell you every damn thing you did wrong to "YOUR" car, how you should have done this and that. Never mind that most of these people probably never owned any kind of a Hot Rod before they still know how you should have built your own damn car. This thread is quickly taking on the same flavor.

22. nothing wrong with discussing positive, and negatives of a build or for that matter likes and dislikes.

-Brent-, Blue One, nochop and 4 others like this.
  23. We're not uneducated car show visitors trying to impress their friends or lady with marginal car knowledge. I hear the same crap with my junk and with the professionally built stuff when I was working in a rod shop. Who cares, they bought the ticket. let em complain.
    This is a message board mainly made up of folks that participate in this industry and/or hobby. We critique and add commentary based on experience and personal tastes used for our own builds.
    I agree with you when folks just say something sucks or stinks without explanation.
    I could care less how much is spent on a build. The more the better, pays guys salaries and keeps shops and suppliers in business and this industry/hobby is all the better for it.

ClarkH and Hnstray like this.
  24. sololobo

sololobo

Wayne Carini is a class act as I see it. I enjoy his column he writes for Hagerty Magazine that Hagerty publishes and a very good magazine. His T. V. shows are very interesting and an opportunity to see a lot great barn finds and cool cars. I am a big-time supporter of Hagerty Vintage Insurance. They do some great stuff in our sport.

The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  25. Dayamn! That is a slinky Comp coupe. But sadly that class breeds widowmakers. The similarities between this and the Tom Thumb coupe scare me.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Deescott

Deescott

^^^^
    Seems like that’s exactly what an Internet forum about hot rods is for! Especially when the topic is a $300,000 Model A. INMHO- It’s funny lookin’.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. tedjg

tedjg

Just stumbled on this thread.
    Anyone else notice the spring in the video is different than the one in this pic?
    The one in the pic has the Posie’s style pockets for the sliders, the one in the video doesn’t.
    Maybe that was how they corrected the clearance issue?

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. nobby

nobby

Did he get the Fuhrmann 547 knee-caps ?