Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 chev s.d. windshield installation ; HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Feb 13, 2020.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

anyone have any expert advice .it appears that the glass and molding are only held in place by the garnish molding . and on a master deluxe the molding goes over the pinch weld . anyone know if this is true ,and if it is what sealer should I use to keep out the rain . and should the window trim be removed to install the pinch weld seal??

2. squirrel

squirrel

6inarow likes this.
  3. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I have a 41 sd coupe. I put in a new rubber and glass and if I remember correctly we put a small amount of clear rtv on were the chrome and the rubber meet. I would highly suggest having help to put it in. It is a bit of fight holding the glass against the body holding the garnish moulding and starting the screws at the same time. I also suget covering the dash to prtect it.

4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

it seems that the garnish molding is what holds it in .sounds simple but both sides have to be put in the weather strip then installed together . seems like at 80 mph the wind would push it in or push rain through but well see . I ordered the 3m bedding and glazing sealer that steele recommends .so ill give it a shot today .the stainless trim has a separate pinch weld seal that goes on first then the weather strip with glass just butts up to it .different than any system ive ever installed before so learning as I go .thnx for the link jim .ive red it several times and it still says the same thing!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020

5. squirrel

squirrel

It sounds a lot like the 51 Hudson I had last summer. When I got it, the garnish was not installed in the car (it was in the trunk with several other parts that had been painted 35 years before), and the windshield was kind of loose!

6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I was going to draft my wife but she conveniently threw her back out to get off the hook so I guess im on hold . and yes that's smoke tint going in the frnt . I AM a outlaw . cant waite to see how it looks . I figure if its dark enough I wont need uph.!! DSCF4992.JPG DSCF4993.JPG

7. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

well im sure hoping for some magical advice . I tried yesterday to install the pinchweld seal and its not wanting to work as stated in the directions .the trim wont go on the seal dry so I tried with soapy water . no chance . so I tried so I tried to install on the seal before installing the seal on the pincweld . all I have done so far is made a really big mess . advice please

8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I am pretty sure that windshield is not legal in CA. Law states only top 4 inches.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

You will not be pleased with the dark tint windshield I bet.

milwscruffy likes this.
  10. Tinted full windshield in Kali a BIG NO NO Only top 4 inch allowed

11. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

if I can install it im sure it will be ok . ive had the same light smoke in my p/u for 20+ yrs without a problem but it sure wont matter ifi cant get the pinchweld seal trim in .went to the sac auto rama yesterday . there where several 41 thru 48 chevs but none with the trim ! .the windshield should be as easy as it gets after I get the trim in. so I hope ! DSCF4718.JPG

12. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

this is how I did the install . not right im sure . any ideas on what ive did wrong ??love the smoke glass though!! DSCF4995.JPG DSCF4996.JPG DSCF4994.JPG DSCF4997.JPG

13. cshades

cshades
    from wi

its been 20 years since I did mine but that doesn't look right. I went and grabbed the body service manual. you should have 2 pieces of rubber one for the chrome to the pinch weld and one that goes around the glass and butts up to the other one from the inside. The garnish molding and the division bar hold it in place. I will see if I can post the picture from the manual if I can figure out how.

14. cshades

cshades
    from wi

here you go

Attached Files:

15. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx much ! I have found the error in my thinking . all makes sence now , but so is not what I had in my mind at first. I knew it wasn't clear and tried hard for a diag. I could understand . its so much easier once you know what your doing . my wife now even tells me how simple it is !!!