Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2020 Banger Thread. Happy Groundhog Day***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 1, 2020.

1. railcarmover

railcarmover

Im a ham and egger next to those guys,Hell all im looking to do is take a flathead up as tight as I can and still run it on the street.

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  2. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Happy Groundhog Day to me! I got my Jim Brierley head (thumsup).
    Do you guys know where I can get a 509c gasket? I had a stash I got off ebay but I've used them up messing with my roadster. All I can find is in the full gasket kit. Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 97

4. 97

What sort of head is it? i.e OHV ? flathead ? I was unaware he made heads! We need pics!

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

6. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

7. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I mebbe shouldn't have said that- it reminded me of a Crusty the Clown joke I heard back in junior high (long before the Simpsons...)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

you gonna fly cut it?

9. I really think you should run the head as produced first.

John

Old Dawg and brjnelson like this.
  10. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

My pistons are flush with the deck so I can run it as-is. I'm curious to see what difference there is between my well tinkered-with alum. Winfield and this. I'm expecting top end to be improved for sure. I like messing with these things entirely too much...

11. Jet,
    More than likely your timing will be different with plug location in the new head.
    There should be more usable power under the curve, don't expect it to rev like an OHV though.
    You might also find that 5 degrees cam advance makes a big difference.
    J

12. I get my head gaskets form Brattons. Not sure it their copper is the same as a 509c

Jet96 likes this.
  13. kb9jlo

kb9jlo
    from Central IL
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

chryslerfan55 and Jet96 like this.
  14. kb9jlo

kb9jlo
    from Central IL
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

FAST - I finally get a little extra pocket money and find out that FAST is not accepting any new applications. Bummer.
    I got some old mags off eBay last year and loved them. Plus I'm a fan of most of the original members. Love the Brierley book. I'd like to get him to do a cam for me...

15. I just heard this last week that the final issue of FAST has been sent to the printers.
    It is an unfortunate situation, the FAST organisation has been looking for someone to take over the operation but it did not work out.
    Besides the magazine, FAST also organised the Hill Climbs and the insurance for them, so something else that may be ending soon (west coast?)
    Mr. Brierley is doing well with the books and now cylinder heads. Of course he still has the Winfield cam masters and is grinding away.

J

16. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

johnnielson-
    Thank you for the advice. I very much value the knowledge you have about these old things.
    It sure is a nice casting!

winduptoy and railcarmover like this.
  17. kb9jlo

kb9jlo
    from Central IL
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Thanks for the information. Well maybe I'll find some more mags laying around somewhere...
    Dan

18. brjnelson

brjnelson

The 2020 FAST Iowa hillclimb in Sept, will be the last one :( then the insurance runs out.
    I was told FAST just needs someone to do the editor position, no one stepped up, so they are letting it die.
    I wonder what will happen to the timing equipment.

chryslerfan55 and kb9jlo like this.
  19. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

We will try to keep the GREAT F.A.S.T. organization going! Working on it! Doesn't look like we will do a magazine- just a web site or Face Book. We will have insurance and hill climbs! Don't switch out those great 4 bangers for a SBC yet!

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

From Tod:
    Picked up some intakes last night when I dropped off the mold sand for the next aluminum 5 main Model A engine block. We are planning to pour the aluminum block Saturday 2/22. This week should also see iron B heads, Winfields, and a sample 3 main iron block poured as well.

[​IMG]

21. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Thanks to rudestude for the intake and carb and reston racer for the header.with a little fitting the car runs great.even smoother than the stock setup!got to Fab some exhaust and see how it drives tomorrow. 20200218_182353.jpg 20200218_182401.jpg 20200218_182409.jpg

22. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Egges sells Best 509c head gaskets. Not a lot cheaper than buying the whole set but I already have enough of the other gaskets to last a lifetime...

winduptoy likes this.
  23. rudestude

rudestude

Looks good Brian...it worked out good for you..thats great.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

What's one of those intakes worth?

25. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Model B experts I can use a little help. On a B engine can you remove/install the flywheel with the oil pan in place?

26. I am pretty sure you can. there is no enclosure around the flywheel, but why is it an issue?

27. No, if the oil pan is in place then the only way is if the upper flywheel housing is removed BUT you need the flywheel removed to remove the upper housing.

28. The stock "B" pan has the lower bell housing integral to the pan. If this is the case, you must remove the pan.
    If the motor was modified to use the "A" housing, you can remove the flywheel without removing the pan.

J

Old Dawg, chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  29. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Thanks for the answers about the B oil pan and the flywheel, that looked to be the case. jim1932 - the reason for asking is that I'm about to finish putting my new cam, lifters, etc together and then put my oil pan back on, but my flywheel isn't ready. I didn't want to put the pan on, and then need to remove it again. I started looking at the pan and the hole the flywheel would need to fit thru looked a bit too small, so I asked the experts to confirm. Thanks again everyone!

chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New 81's and Mallory dizzy. I'm gaining on it. Two 97's were too much. IMG_20200221_163941896.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app