Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ford v. Ferrari... More Than a Movie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!----Been thru Oklahoma 2 times, 1973 & 1976 Street rod Nats.

Boneyard51 and arkiehotrods like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Come on back! We’ll drink a beer and maybe attend a race?

Bones

3. Not intended to offend. That is exactly what happened to Big Daddy. He started Chopper mag and featured some Hells Angels rad bikes. Then the group decided Ed was 'abusing' them and demanded he give them the profits of the mag. Resulted in a real-life gang shoot out. Ed was the hero.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Watched it last night with the wife n kids
    Three girls 10-11-12
    Last minute suggestion at the theatre
    They all loved it!!

I think Matt Damon and Christian bake did a great job.
    Movie was a fun watch and as accurate as you could make it with all the holly wood nonsense put it.
    Great movie

Hot rod and car movies where very popular in the past.
    Hopefully this movie motivates holly wood to make GOOD CAR MOVIES
    And step away from the fart and furious type idiot car movies.

Driver50x, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Saw it last night and have been thjnking about going again. Don’t ever remember thinking that after seeing a movie in the theater. Great movie

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto

Lepus, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you guys haven't read "Go Like Hell" you are missing a real treat. A history lesson that reads like a novel. It will grab you in the first chapter.

8. toml24

toml24

The Worldwide Box Office as of December 25th is $194.1 million.

Driver50x and loudbang like this.
  9. aircap

aircap

I should go see this flick again, very soon.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We went to see Ford vs Ferrari tonight. It was here a few a weeks ago, but I waited until it was showing at the Grand theatre in down town. I really enjoyed the show, I’m sure there was some theatrical changes to it to make it more interesting, but I think overall it was pretty close to true as I remember it happening.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Good movie, kinda skipped over the whole U.S. domination though.
    As a Ford guy it was tough to not feel pride when Enzo got his!
    Henry the 2nd was kind of an arrogant prick, only surpassed by Enzo (sign of the times).
    The popcorn was great!
    Wish I was able to witness this timeline myself.
    A cool car guy movie!!

Driver50x and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. frank spittle

frank spittle

I just watched "The 24 Hour War" on Netflix, a historical documentary on the 24 Hour races at Daytona and LeMans. It is a masterpiece to go with FvF and Shelby's America. It has a lot of interesting information and video on the history of the races and covers the races up through 1967. I was kinda shocked at the producer. ADAM CAROLLA. It is excellent.

tractorguy likes this.
  13. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I did not read this entire thread, so I don't know if this was mentioned. I loved the movie, but my only complaint was they should have added some text on the screen to identify places and dates. Like 1959 when Shelby won Le Mans, Italy, Dearborn, 1965 Le Mans race when they lost with GT40. LAX where the hangar was located, the date Mustang was introduced (April 17, 1964), etc.. These are historical facts and easily added to the film and it would have made it THAT much better.

14. Had a visit with my nephew - who has a - sooo called young know it all - Mustang guru with the latest what ever - in his the garage....it was a party - he was there - so I asked have you seen the movie ? Funny he said - oh yes but no....that was when I knew he hadn't a clue to the history of his brag a boo in the garage. When I let I mentioned the years the GT40 held all others off....he had an open mouth.......just left it at that.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

saw the movie again tonite - last showing locally - theater was packed - know that blue ray, etc will have it shortly - but, the big theater sound system hard to beat - get lost in some of the scenes that give so much of the sensation of high speed -

16. I had the chance to sit in the car used in the movie. IMG_0739.jpg

Nicholas Coe, treb11, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  17. I just found out that “The Movie”, that’s what we call Ford vs Ferrari at work, is coming out on DVD on February 11. I can’t wait to add it to my small collection of car guy movies like American Graffiti, Hollywood Nights, Two Lane Blacktop, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Movie That Has More Going On Than Just The Race...Shelby VS The Deuce Made My Day...

Deuces likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having lived through this era, the drag racing for some was just getting started. For us, it was going away, although we did still read the local Drag News and several magazines. But one magazine kept our high horsepower ideals alive, Road & Track. The news of a lightweight AC Bristol with a 289 Ford motor was very enticing. Of course, our parents would have been aghast at the idea of a high horsepower open, low slung roadster for their young 20 somethings sons. Let alone a 427 powered open roadster. By this time, my wife and I (married 20 somethings) were looking for a car and visited the dealerships.

We had gone to the shop across from Dewey Webers Shop in Hermosa Beach, and then having a Ford dealer a couple of miles away from our house in Long Beach, Mel Burns Ford on Long Beach Blvd. Now, the favoritism in fast cars was flowing for my wife and there was almost nothing to hold us back in our (her) purchase, except for money and insurance. Isn’t that about the similar concept for all 20 somethings trying to get along in life?
    upload_2020-2-16_4-33-29.png …across the street from my dad’s favorite Buick dealer on Long Beach Blvd.

The movie, Ford vs Ferrari, was pretty good and showed the highlights of the era. The cars in the background, spot on, the clothes were kind of fashionable for the time period. The small Craftsman style houses in the local So Cal cities are still there. The locations we knew from being in So Cal all of our lives. Plus, the interest was moving on into the high horsepower, better handling cars that we kept seeing in the Road & Track Magazines. So, the 289 Cobra and then the 427 was in our sights.

A 250 hp in a 2300 lbs sporty car would have felt like our Willys 671 accelerating, except for the massive amounts of air blowing past us in the open cockpit. That part of racing the Cobras, Super Cobra Coupes (shown in the movie) were left out for concentrating on the GT 40 episodes. It was a very exciting movie, the family scenario fit into the time period and job description. But, $200 a day at $6000 a month during 1962-69 was an outstanding salary, considering the starting teacher was paid $6000 for the whole school year in most districts.

Jnaki

This type of movie with the big name stars draws plenty of people into the automotive world. Those that have been involved during the time period, love it for the action and plenty of memories of that era. Reading those early stories of sports car racing, the team work and seeing it on the large screen satisfies the old brain functions. It was not drag racing or hot rods, but part of automotive history.
    upload_2020-2-16_4-34-48.png
    As big time as the whole racing scene was/is all over the world, So Cal played a big part. Now, a movie about hot rods and custom icons? That would be great, but maybe not for the masses. When those hot rods and customs are part of any movie, we like the intersecting plots, the actors and the idea of the movie. But, usually, there is not a lot of public acceptance, even with big-time money movies with academy award winning actors and supporting cast. This one hits the spot.

P.S. Recognize the interpreter for Enzo Ferrari? Very cool!

P.S.S. Did the pit crew have to beat the sh!$$$$ out of that expensive mag wheel knock off hub spinner?

P.S.S.S. What a great role as lee Iacocca for Jon Bernthal…aka “The Punisher.”

20. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Loved Ford Vs Ferrari. Snake and the Mingoose was also a great movie, really helped that both were alive and consulted on the Snake movie and Don P. Did most of the driving.
    Would love to see a good quality movie of Big Daddy made while Garlits is still alive so he could keep it authentic. He has a great story and name recognition so it would be appealing and good for the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Still have not seen it. More excited about this:
    Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)
    • Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 7:30 PM – 9:15 Pm
    • The Plaza Theater
      1847 Larpenteur Ave E, Maplewood, Minnesota 55109
    Saw it in on a big screen 15 years ago and will enjoy seeing it on the big screen once more. Ford vs Ferrari does nothing for me. Delete if too far off topic

22. The local, 14 screen, theater complex in my town continued to have Ford vs Ferrari in the line up until a week or two ago. Toward the end of the run, it was only one showing per night but that must have sold enough tickets to keep around for +/- two and a half months.

Boneyard51 and 65pacecar like this.
  23. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary with viewing Ford vs Ferrari, she picked (and I was a little surprised) I think she liked it more than I;) It was worth the time to see it. Now I've got to check out some of the Netflix movies previously listed.

65pacecar likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

I got a pristine copy of the poster for a $5 donation. Cost 4 times that to frame it!

25. 5window

5window

Our huge single screen Art Deco theater has Dolby Surround Sound-it was Great!!

26. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Loved the scene at the end of the race where Enzo tips his hat to Miles. A class act indeed, especially in comparison to the total shitbag (Beebe) from Ford.

27. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I watched it last night with my wife. I liked it and so did she. I would like to see more movies made about our most interesting car hero's, such as Smokey Yunick, Duntov, and Briggs Cunningham just to name a few.

tractorguy likes this.
  28. Really?

I took that as Enzo showing Miles who was in charge. I got the idea the whole "he started from further back" deal was because of him... I'll have to watch the scene again

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Enzo was not even at the race, just Hollywood fabrication, as was most of the movie. HFII was not even close to the character portrayed in the movie, nor was Beebe the jerk the movie made him out to be. And lug nuts dropped on the ground? Entertaining movie for sure, but not historically accurate at all.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That actor racing the Ferrari couldn't have looked more Italian if he sang O Sole Mio in the car.