Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oldsmobile J2 Golden Rocket engine build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BDRodder, Feb 11, 2020.

1. BDRodder

BDRodder

Bought a 57 371 J2 Golden Rocket short block that I plan to build up into a running motor. Have had a hard time finding heads (shocker right?). Found a pair of 371 heads from 1959. Will these work/fit on my 57 J2?

Thanks all for any insight.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. birdman1

birdman1

I had a freind of mine that installed a J2 Olds engine in his 1937 IHC Farmall F-30 farm tractor. He did all the plowing and field work with it and also competed in many tractor pulls with it. Man, that tractor had POWER!!

Deuces likes this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Those 59 heads might work but the 59 371 has a taller deck height that is the same as a 394,I would stay with 57 or 58 heads if possible.

4. Have you looked over on the AACA forum in the Olds section? I swapped some Olds parts with a fella north of you that is a member who has or had a bunch of Olds stuff. He sent me 371 pistons in a swap for Jahns pop ups I had. I have his number here somewhere if you wish to pursue it him.

rod1 likes this.
  5. 40mercFlathead

40mercFlathead

I've also got a 57' J2 I'm getting ready to break down and rebuild. Looking for the outer carb and a few other parts

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Cool! :cool:
    How's about lots of pictures of the disassembly and re assembly of this great engine please...... Thanks!:)

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I know of some 57s and 58s in a local junkyard.

Deuces likes this.