Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lincoln zephyr u joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ianjaylights, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

I just picked up a transmission that came out of a 1941 Lincoln. It has the serial number beginning with H and is a side shift with no overdrive and a 25 tooth cluster gear. Is there a way to tell if the u joint is the desirable needle bearing one? I realize that at some point it could have been changed out for something else. Is there a part number I should look for or do they look different than the Ford u joints?

2. alchemy

alchemy

I've never had a Lincoln joint, but on the Ford joints it's easy to see there is a simple bushing around the end of the cross shaft that's captured by the housing halves. A bearing would need races and room for the rollers. Much thicker when you look at it from the side.

Also, the simple bushing type has the housing halves capture the bushing about 80 percent around. There is an opening on one side which is where the clip is installed. Maybe the bearing style is different here?

Here is a good thread discussing the "value" of having a LZ joint: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35547&showall=1

3. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

Thank you Alchemy. I’ll have another look at mine and clean it up

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Please let us know what you find