Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Up in smoke ~ Hot Rod burnouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Catching 2nd hard enough to kick it a little sideways & lay down 20 feet of rubber will make ya grin.

2. Burnouts? Sure. Before every race. I have also been told that the road in front of my house looks like the start line at Maple Grove Dragway on occasion . It wasn't me officer, I swear .:D;)Its better to burn out then fade away.

Driver50x, deadbeat, WC145 and 14 others like this.
  3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

4. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

slayer, WC145, Tickety Boo and 8 others like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could sometimes spin the tires in my 1951 Buick Roadmaster 2d ht 320 I-8 Dynaflow... LOL. And for some reason, that rear axle acted more like a limited-slip than an open differential.

I think it was a pretty big deal when hot rodders went from being able to squeal the tires to smoking the tires. Somewhere around 300 horsepower I guess.
    But as I see it in regards to how much power hot rods have... it's become so easy now, that it's not even a challenge.

It's funny you should bring this up, Danny. Just yesterday, I happened upon a video of some burnout contests. These people are out of their minds! LOL. The engines are revving at their absolute maximum... the rear tires are on fire... they're sliding and crashing into cement barriers... I couldn't believe it.

That's way way way too much. LOL

For me, and I know for most of us here, we're trying to emulate what guys did in the past. Breaking the tires loose was very often part of it. But we don't have to burn the freaking tires off the wheels! LOL.

Everybody have a good Sunday.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey, Budget36, Gammz and 5 others like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know I'm preaching to the choir with most of you guys. You know the history of it very well.
    But I think some forget the context of how hot rodding was... and instead, see it through today's lens, so to speak.

We need to remember that during the time frame that we are interested in, production cars were not fast. And the modified hot rods that could easily outrun them were really something for the time.

That's why I think it's pretty cool to see original cars alongside traditional hot rods at a show or a cruise. It gives you a sense of the contrast... at the time.

mad mikey, Driver50x, fauj and 7 others like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

A burnout contest to me is about the dumbest activity there is. Why would anyone with half a brain participate in this intentional destruction? Why would someone destroy a set of tires and tear up a car being cheered on by a crazed crowd they don't even know who are just hoping the car gets destroyed? Every time I've observed a burnout contest I've always scratched my head and wondered about the mental status of those participating. Definitely not an activity for those having a relatively high IQ.
    Not talking about burnouts prior to a pass down the track but a burnout contest to intentionally pop the tires and tear up a car.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    mad mikey, troybert, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you guys can't build a car that can do a burnout without tearing itself up, maybe you should work on your building skills.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

I did one on a ferry once...

Rich

mad mikey, WC145, racer-x and 5 others like this.
  10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A burnout contest is dumb. Doing a burnout is fun.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The burnouts I'm referring to will tear up ANY car.

HOTRODPRIMER, 2OLD2FAST and 3W JOHN like this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Watch the end of this little video.

mad mikey, Ned Ludd, Thor1 and 8 others like this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my first "Hot Rod" on the road in 1966. It was an 1835 lb "T" Bucket with a good runnin' 270" hemi. a Dodge "plow-box" and 4.30 gears out of a Plymouth station wagon. I was real lucky and was able to score a set of used 7.60/15 Ellingson recap slicks for it. I don't know how old they were, but they were HARD. When I got everything up and running, it turned out that the only thing 1st gear on that car was good for was doing burnouts. Those slicks would go up in smoke any time I wanted to. Funny thing is that these days, the only vehicle I have that should be able to do a burnout is my '67 L79 Corvette. Try as I might, I can not bring myself to abuse that car. I guess I'm like most guys here.

BTW, I notice just about all the pictures in this thread are drag cars on drag strips which I don't think was the intention of this thread.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You know as we'll as I that if you try hard enough you can break an anvil , I can't afford a new "anvil"

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Customs can do it too. This is Blakmerk at the OG HAMB Drags on '03.

merc03.png

-Abone.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    mad mikey, slayer, Ned Ludd and 9 others like this.
  16. Totally agree with not wanting to have to replace broken parts. At my age, I don't need extra expenses...

17. I suppose my inner hooligan is always on display or at least ready to spring out... I will intentionally turn off traction control on the wife's Lexus just to see if it will... and yes it will! Every vehicle I have ever driven I have tried to light them up because it is fun! Also fun to hear em bark when you shift too!

Having said all of that... I will not burn them down to see if they pop, that is best left to those who compete at such things or simply don't care if they tear a fender off. Generally speaking, for the ones I build I intentionally build them for fun. Occasionally, it turns into a bit of trial and error as power goes up and traction goes up, things break and must be upgraded so to speak to handle the fun.

I am all for the the guys that trailer a car to a show to sit around and talk about it though, it is theirs to do with as they please, plus I enjoy looking at them.

I just don't think I am capable of owning a 'look but don't touch' trailer queen that can't be flogged occasionally.

18. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Some of you guys are reading more in this post than I see, hrp didn't say a burnout contest.

mad mikey, WC145, CAHotRodBoy and 3 others like this.
  19. What Ray said, a waste of time and money, go out and burn you ride down for someone's else's enjoyment, duh?

mad mikey, fauj, Gman0046 and 2 others like this.
  20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I see nothing wrong with hotrodding hotrod parts. And besides as far as the mechanicals go during a burnout, it's a no load condition. Lighten up ya old farts. LOL Lippy

mad mikey, Driver50x, WC145 and 6 others like this.
  21. There is no doubt in my mind some of you guys know exactly what I am talking about, some obviously misinterpreted.

I didn't say anything about a burnout contest, who hasn't at one time or another sidestepped the clutch and had a big grin on your face as the rear tires go up in smoke, not trying to impress anyone just amusing that kid within. HRP

mad mikey, WC145, fauj and 12 others like this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup... just for fun.
    Not at the wrong time or place.
    Usually away from everybody and everything. So definitely not meant to impress anybody except myself.
    And not too crazy. I scare easily.

mad mikey, fauj, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  23. 392

No video but I’ll try this year. When I mash the gas on 92 it doesn’t disappoint. Kinda scary. Have to let up.

24. WOW! That’s messed up, I hope you didn’t hurt him too bad.

25. Hahahaha

26. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

image.jpg image.jpg
    Smoke 'em if ya got 'em...

mad mikey, slayer, WC145 and 11 others like this.
  27. Hot Rodding and not so much. [​IMG][​IMG]

fauj, mad mikey, slayer and 9 others like this.
  28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

mad mikey, slayer, WC145 and 11 others like this.
  29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It’s not just one or the other. There is a lot of daylight between the extremes you cite. But, you probably know that.....it just serves your purpose to pretend you don’t.

Ray

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Well said !

fauj and HOTRODPRIMER like this.