Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oil pan to Axle clearance sbf Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyvolt, Dec 30, 2019.

1. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Is there a difference between the oil pump pickup screens from the Explorer to Fox body? Is the rear sump the same height?

2. Budget36

Budget36

Am I wrong, or I thought you said issue was it was close to the axle?

3. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

4. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Both motors have different pickup screens, and the rear sump of the explorer is deeper. I can get a measurement if you're interested.

Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Yea, your right dude....might as well put an LS in it like every other belly button buy a kit wannabe hotrodder......

warbird1 likes this.
  6. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

That would be very helpful. I have a project with the fox body pan on it now and an extra 1/2" would be great at the very front of the pan as I also have a crossmember in the same area. Not to mention it would get rid of the goofy dual oil drains. Can you tell if you could use the fox body pickup with the explorer oil pan? Also what year Explorer is your engine from?Thanks

7. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Without a doubt, the explorer pan is 3/8 shallower than the fox. Also the pick-ups will not interchange. Explorer has deeper rear sump. My explorer pan is off a 2001, but I think all the steel pans are the same, cause the part number shows a 98 date code. I do know Ford made. Cast aluminum pan, but I can't see it being shallower. Steel pan at this point is 3/8 off the bottom of the oil pump.

Black pan is explorer

Nasty gray is fox body 20191231_093825_HDR.jpeg 20191231_201822_HDR.jpeg

8. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Fox is 7 deep in the rear, I'll have to measure the fox rear sump later. My welder took a dump and I'm out looking for a machine today

9. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Thanks for the help. The Explorer oil pan seems to be easy to come by with or without the oil level sensor hole. The pickup is a different story and doesnt seem to be available aftermarket. Is it just longer to reach deeper into the pan? Or is there also clearance issues where the tube runs from the pump?

10. I used a 289 oil pan on my 302. HRP

yhst-13525187779972_2268_63956480.jpg

11. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

What vehicle and year is that from^^^? Is it a rear sump pan? I see pans that look similar to that but find out that they are front sump.

12. fordor41

fordor41

on all the "double " sump pans the front "sump" is there for the oil pump. pick-ups are always in the rear sump

13. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

I was just curious about the pic HRP posted as it looked similar to a fox body "double" sump pan but without the extra drain in the front. I have a similar situation as Hyvolt and looking for a pan with the shortest area in the front area under the oil pump. Was looking to rework my existing fox pan but finding a oem pan thats 3/8"-1/2" shallower is a much better option.

14. The one I used is from a V8 Falcon, 64 -73 260/289/302 my later model 5.0 engine had the double hump pan but I had a clearance issue, I just used a front sump pan and used a oil pickup to match, I tossed the double pan and pickup on the scrap pile. HRP

15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

You get an A+ for thinking outside the box! Several production cars had offsets in their axles to clear something-or-other; Mopar tube axles fron the '30s, and and all Crosleys, for example.

To extend your thought further, could use a dropped axle, and put an equivalent spacer between the spring and crossmember. Would likely be way more expensive than having the local truck spring shop bend in a vertical offset.

I still have trouble believing the axle will hit the pan before it hits the chassis, in this case. The clearance claimed seems more than adequate for suspension "bump". Could add rubber bump stops for assurance.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  16. lucas1946merc

lucas1946merc

I have the same one from a 75 mustang. It is front sump

17. tim troutman

tim troutman

correct question also how close is the chin pan to the ground. 4 inches is a lot of travel on a dropped car. I have looked under cars with stock snubbers that the axle was touching them . not good for ride quality