Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1933 Plymouth alternator conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rich s n, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Rich s n

Rich s n

I’m wanting to put a 6volt alternator on my 33 Plymouth I have a universal bracket that came with alternator but can’t get it to work any suggestions or ideas on a bracket Or where I can get one

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not know what u need, I usually start with 1-1/2" to 2" 1/8" thick angle steel, find a place to bolt it near the pan line. That's where I bolt the universal "u" bracket and the alternator to it.

3. BJR

BJR

Post a picture of the front of the engine and the bracket that was furnished with the alternator and the alternator. Then we know what you are working with.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Try using the original generator mount with a spacer tube behind the alternator to make up the difference in mounting points.

5. dwollam

dwollam

I put an alternator in my '36 Dodge pickup. I redrilled the mount to make the belt line up and used a left over piece of tube from a '28-'29 Model A headlight bar for a spacer tube. Got all 3! GM alternator, Dodge mount, Ford spacer.

Dave

Cosmo49 likes this.
  6. dwollam

dwollam

BTW, my '33 Plymouth coupe will probably run a generator, but it will be mounted on a Hemi!

Dave

7. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I used an original generator bracket, all-thread, and like 6 nuts with lock washers to capture it without wander. Lasted 85k miles till I needed another alternator and then I installed a dedicated alt. bracket. Fab something up, you ain't going cross country, then again if you are you'll still be OK!

8. brading

brading

I'm with BJR on this a picture tells a thousand words.

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Wow ,go figure the bracket won't fit ! They don't call this hot rodding for people who can't pick up the phone and call 1 800 Lego's . Make it yourself and enjoy the process.

10. Rich s n

Rich s n

Attached Files:

11. Rich s n

Rich s n

The universal bracket won’t go on the generator bracket So I cut it and drilled new holes bigger removed generator bracket Now I think I got it just need to weld another bracket to it so I can bolt to motor I was just hoping to buy a bolt on bracket like I’ve seen for other conversions I’ve seen

12. BJR

BJR

When you don't have a SBC you will end up making most of your brackets and mounts.

Frankie47 likes this.
  13. brading

brading

What I would have done is first fitted the alternator to the original bracket using allthread. Then make a new bracket like D and weld at C using the allthread for alignment so that you could use the bolt pictured with the alternator. Now fit the bracket if the pulleys do not line just slot holes A and B.

Attached Files:

14. Rich s n

Rich s n

The original bracket was to tall @ A it would hit the alternator when you set it in So I couldn’t line it up So I removed the original bracket and kept it Took the universal bracket and drilled bigger holes so I could use the bolts to mount to motor so now it looks like I just have to weld the one short bracket to the other and it should bolt up to motor But I’m gonna need a shorter belt

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

why not make your new bracket fit the old belt size?