Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Been To A Drive-In Lately?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Having the dubious distinction of living in a 'resort area', my wife and I get to do some novel things within a short drive of our front door. One of those novelties is a drive-in movie theater. We have always tended to see our share of hot rods and classics in town but the drive-in has definitely added one more good excuse for local and visiting rods to cruise.
    Does anyone else have any drive-in action going on in your parts? Our theater, The Stars & Stripes Drive-In, has this link to their drive-in.......
    http://driveinusa.com/nb/
    They are a new outfit, just opened in 2015, so none of the old-style speakers on a post to bust your windows when you roll out. Other than that, it's a nostalgic time warp.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. Andy K

Andy K

We have two locally. Not necessarily in the best parts of town but we got them. It’s been awhile since I’ve been. Unfortunately they require a radio and all that to hear the movie, so that right there would eliminate the novelty of being able to take the 27 roadster over.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Daylight savings time has pretty much killed the drive in movie business. I would like to find a drive in restaurant to see if I can bring a mug of root beer through my chopped door window.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

We have a drive in here in my town with 3 screens and car clubs do cruises to it. Across the road from it my friends Steve and Jill have a farmstand and they have live music beer and all sorts of good stuff. We often have nice gatherings of some cool cars there.

loudbang likes this.

5. There is a drive-in thread somewhere in the hamb archives.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

7. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I've been wanting to go with my girl some time, but they're all in the bad parts of town unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Andy K like this.
  8. Andy K

Andy K

That’s like ours. You gotta carry to go. Our two drive ins belong to the swap shop. The owner that passed away a few years ago had a crazy exotic collection on site. Probably one of the craziest known exotic car collections in the US. But man, the location is straight up in the middle of the hood. One of the highest crime rates in Broward county.

chryslerfan55, Phoenix24 and loudbang like this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

I drove by one on the way to the swap meet at Conroe this weekend. Does that count? :)

loudbang likes this.
  10. Nude Stude Dude

Nude Stude Dude

They opened a new one here in the Louisville area last year but I haven't been there yet. If they would have a double feature with some car movies like Vanishing Point and Two Lane Blacktop I would go but that hasn't happened yet....

11. We’ve got both a drive in and a place that has drive up food that serves root beer in frosted mugs. I guess we are lucky

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

South east Fla. land has gone high $$$$$$$$$$ an with it many great places are gone now,only a few hold out an are a cool walk back in time. At lest as close as it can be done. Biz is booming big,just not that kinds I'd like..
    Many great an cool drive in movie spots are shopping malls or condos now.
    One place here is kind of holding on,it was one of the giants with many screens an movies at the same time,an that's part of why it's still around. Some of that land is now a giant Swap shop an the left over few screens still play movies some times. So yes.
    There has been a few pop-up screen outfits,that would rent a parking lot an put out adds! Have a drive in movie as a temp event=some were cool,but a few were super over priced{give a scam vib/greed vib} so in the end made less $ an failed. The cost of using as much land it takes now days,a long with lots of these kids that don't even know what a drive in is !! WOW
    Some youth are very in the know,but so many have there head glued to there phone ,only looking at stupid crap,,are zoned out !
    This is the one still going ;;

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SWAPSHOPS/about/?ref=page_internal

As for drive inn car hop places,just a few are still in biz,but no longer have car hops,the new Sonic dose,but it is down in Homestead/about 20 miles south of Miami
    Long ago,we had a lots,even more then in just one add, back then,DriveInns shows;

DriveInMovies.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  13. Back in the 60's there were 3 Drive in theaters here in Anderson, unfortunately the property values were on the rise & worth much more than the owners could refuse.

Shopping centers & housing developments replaced the former automotive movie experience.

As a teenager & a young adult I spent many a hour at the drive in. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not in my county any longer. Oakland has one. The concession stand has switchblades, ammo, hypodermic needles, tourniquets, penicillin, tires and catalytic converters.

15. I took my 40 dodge pickup to the drive in on a very regular basis. The truck had no radio. To solve this I found some drive in speakers at a antique shop. I pulled out my old boom box radio to play them at the drive in. I put the radio on the roof and ran the wires to it. The speakers hung off the edge of the box. With the truck turned backwards to the screen and a foam egg crate providing some cushion it was perfect.

David Gersic and loudbang like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

The one in San Jose is gone?

Edit: Just realized where you were at.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

only one that I went to today was the Sacramento Autorama Drive-In - I know, not a pre-recorded movie

loudbang likes this.
  18. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

More than a few HAMB members go to this one once a year.

93576353.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  19. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

I went to one in Midland, TX a couple years ago when I was out there for work. Closer to home, there is one that is adult only. Never been to that one.

loudbang likes this.
  20. We have one in my town but there are no speakers anymore. You have to tune to an FM frequency on your car radio. Some of my cars only have AM or no radio. Wonder if some people's cars won't start by the end of the movie. (I've never been to a movie there, just a car show once)

loudbang likes this.
  21. 1245.jpg We have a cool Drive-in here in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. It opened in 1956, and has been open ever since. I took dates there while in high school too. I've also taken the family there for many years. It's even called the FAMILY DRIVE IN. They also have a car show there every fall, and show car movies. We love going in the summer. Drive-ins are Fun, and great Americana.:) Ron....

22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Southington CT has one that the town took over (Back taxes?) Anyway they allow a different charity
    to screen a movie on Saturday nights as a fund raiser. As I recall it was $15 car if you were from out of town, less if a resident. Movies were older, Jaws usually was the opening one.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Fayetteville, Arkansas. The 112 Drive Inn is a local legend. Everyone goes. 112.jpeg unnamed.jpeg 12065597_562759887222321_475997719424939152_n.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

There is one about 20-25 miles from me, I've never even been to it. One of my Great Aunts owned it when I was growing up. They did regular movies until 11PM, then until about 4AM they played adult XXX movies! Something for everybody, he he!!

Only drive in I ever went to was over in Columbus, MS, back in high school. Don't know why I didn't go to the Great Aunt's, but for some reason I didn't. Maybe the folks were afraid I'd go to the adult movies? Can't remember now...

We have a Sonic over in the county seat. Was a hot spot back in the late 70's early 80's timeframe, now, just junky food and school kids trying to make a few bucks, nothing special to look at.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Sadly all of them are long gone in my area, sure do miss them. I drive right by where one of the best ones was every day. :(

loudbang likes this.
  26. I got stuck at our Drive Inn. 1946 Willys Jeep Hot Rod. We flooded the carb sitting at an angle. Really embarrassing with everyone loving the Jeep. 20150721_182637.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Starlight Drive In with 6 screens is on the South side of Atlanta, and about 35 miles from me. They used to host Dixie Fried, a huge hot rod gathering, over the Labor Day weekend, but its no longer on the schedule there.
    Drive In has changed ownership and from what I have heard the Hot Rod Club that sponsored it and did all the footwork, has pretty much faded away.
    Damn Shame

28. 500caddy

500caddy

About 30 years ago ours was takin down an I use the screen to build my deck and cattle shed. The owner at the time said he was going to put up a new one that never happened so I always said there was a lot of movie stars on my deck

34 GAZ likes this.
  29. j3harleys

j3harleys

I know that place well. Sad to see it leave, but glad it's still going to happen. I'm going to miss it. They are moving to a new venue this year. It will be held at Pikes Peak International Raceway ( PPIR ) in Fountain Colorado June 5,6,7. It will save me a few hundred bucks, It's only 30 miles from my home. See you there:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That's kind of like asking when was the last time you used a pay telephone or sent a roll of film away in the mail to be developed.