Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why is my car starting in the ignition ON position

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Feb 15, 2020.

1. ahshoe

ahshoe

Building a new Ford powered 390 project with a new crate motor. Just about everything is new or rebuilt. I turned the key to the ON only position to check out my timing with a test light. Anyway that is not the concern. Every time I put the ignition in the ON position the car turns over. I unhooked the cable to the starter so I could do my test and of course still in the ON ignition position the solenoid clicks on, so if the starter cable was on it would spin over again....Any ideas. Do you think the fender mounted Fords solenoid is sticking?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is that shoebox you are asking about they came with a push button starter button that went to ground. If you wired the start wire that runs to the solenoid to the stock Ford ignition switch there was no "start" position on it and you wired to the "IGN" or "ACC" post.
    The quick fix is to remove that wire from the ignition switch or where ever it ties into and install a 2 pole starter button and run a hot wire to it and a wire from it to the solenoid.
    Or put in a relay that can be triggered by going to ground an wire it up an use the stock shoebox starter button to ground it.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am no auto sparky, but suggest that one wire is hooked up on the ignition switch poles incorrectly or you have a faulty ignition switch.
    Is your system stock or modified?

4. 270ci

270ci

If you have your start wire (the one that goes to the starter solenoid to activate your starter) wired to the On/Ignition terminal it would do that. Maybe double check your wiring.

uncle buck likes this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Calling @The37Kid :D
    I’m thinking that Bob should answer this question :D

kidcampbell71 and Budget36 like this.
  6. ahshoe

ahshoe

Not a shoebox...NOS ignition switch...Not a modified application....Stock mostly new reproduction wiring at least under the hood anyway

7. KenC

KenC

since your starter relay clicks when you turn the switch to 'on', there is power getting to the 's' terminal on that relay. There should be only 2 terminals on the switch with outgoing power when on, ignition and accessory. Somehow one of those is connected to the wire to the start terminal on the relay. Or the new switch is bad. No magic anwer, just grab a test light and start at one end and work your way to the other looking for the source.

More info on what you're working on and maybe even a pic or two might generate more answers.

8. Mimilan

Mimilan

Pull the starter wire off the solenoid and see if it tries to start itself [ if so,a faulty solenoid ]
    If not, then put this wire back on ,and pull the starter wire off the switch [if it still starts.there is a short between the Ign and Starter wire]
    If both of these tests eliminate the problem, it is the Ign switch.

I had an Aussie falcon that was "doing a Christine" occasionally , it turned out to be a blob of solder on the switch.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Sorry to say but I think you have ether a shot or a long, LOL

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I lost count of the above guesses, you don't need me. :) Stamp sales are slow, no fires yet. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  11. ahshoe

ahshoe

Got it figured out... solenoid S and I wires where switched....I wired dozens of these Fords ...so it must be old age or something....Thanks to all the replied.

David Gersic and olscrounger like this.
  12. uncle buck

uncle buck

That’s the ending I expected as I read through this thread. Been there done that myself before

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the REASON you always need to clarify what you are working on or working with otherwise we will assume that you are working on what shows up in your avatar that we connect you with.
    I'd agree with the crossed wire or connected in the wrong place wire on the back of the switch or. Possibly the wire that should have been run to the ignition was run to the solenoid. Or it is possible that you reversed the resistor bypass wire and start wire on the solenoid.