Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Saved from the scrap yard - Big lot of vintage blocks Chevy, Ford flathead, others

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rfanuke, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Wow, I hate to think what happened to the other parts you mentioned . How many total pounds of iron is that?

2. So i bought a two bolt main 400 chevy block from Rob. Looks good enough to use. Think ill be taking it to MidWay.
    Man, there is tonnage ! And very reasonably priced.
    Far toooooomany flathead blocks in one place. Saw a couple of 289 and 302 Ford blocks.
    Lots of transmissions as well.
    I did see an old Chevy v6 block that looked like it had a 5” bore.
    Check it out if your local to the Monterey Bay area.
    Thanks again.

57JoeFoMoPar and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Thanks Peter for buying the first block. Only 99 to go! Good guy to deal with.

Rob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Buying a hundred engines is something I would totally do that would lead to a divorce shortly thereafter. Awesome to see someone else do it

5. Letting them go to scrap would have haunted me forever. They are starting to move to some legendary homes.

6. Well I got an education the other day when a living legend, Vern Tardel and his assistant Kevin, payed me a visit to pickup a few flathead blocks. We wrestled with blocks for a couple hours, and he showed me how to inspect them for cracks and pointed out work that had been done to some of the blocks like relieving, sleeving, larger valves, etc. He told me ahead of the meet that he just wanted 10, and that's what he left with. One of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

He determined that 9 of the older blocks with cast-in bell housing were serviceable, but needed some type of repair such as crack repair, re-sleeving, etc. So I have those listed for sale on craigslist for $25 each. If anyone wants me to put them on a pallet and ship them, let me know.

stanlow69, wraymen, dwollam and 7 others like this.
  7. Its good that you are able to sell some to recoup your investment.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  8. How,s it going with the cleanup ? @rfanuke has,nt been on here since 4th of March. Hope your out of the doghouse by now :oops:.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  9. I'm happy to say that everything is gone. Sold a bunch of blocks, and I got a really nice Ducati ST2 motorcycle in a trade for some blocks. About a week ago, I put an ad on craigslist for "free blocks", and local guy came and picked up the rest and all of the transmissions. I found that no one is interested in the old 3 speed transmissions -- couldn't sell one to save my life. A good education, I made some money, and I'm back in the house.

10. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Wow, great save.

Hope you made a few dollars on the deal.

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

...and with luck your back is still in good shape.

12. My back is stronger than ever!

stillrunners likes this.
  13. Thanks rfanuke for taking that challenge !