Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gasser 50 chevy wheel stander project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Doug Poulton

Doug Poulton

Oh man, I saw that video. Leno was riding shotgun with his arm resting in the window and his hand on the roof and I'm thinking 'what could possibly go wrong'? And then it did, he was lucky he didn't lose his right arm that day.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Broadway Bob of Union Grove Drag away is BACK! in the form of Quain ! Bob always believed if there where folks in the stands, there better be something going down the track! Next Quain you need a Jet car ,loud pants and a cold beer ! Love the wheel stander build and long live vintage drag racing and the memory of Broadway Bob! ;) Larry bob.jpg

slayer, SS327, egads and 6 others like this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Really? Got to be a catch, frontal pics? Who was there?

4. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Why no 4 speed I thought that was the golden rule

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

L
    LOL that would be a cool trick with a turn brake in each hand. If I was that talented I wouldn't be building cars for a living.

6. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

wo who the start of an automatic class

Quain Stott likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

At first I thought you were gonna build your version of JJ da Boss’s Old heavy!

Wheel standers are fun to watch. Got to see Bill Maverick Golden and the Little Red Truck one time, really put on a show. Got to get you a tailgate plate to throw sparks for the night races!

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Nope never will be a class, it's strictly exhibition.

Old-Soul, catdad49, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great to see this build thread Quain, glad your doing it. SEGA is the Best Drag Racing ... period.
    Glenn Hayes

loudbang, bchctybob and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks Glenn, I wish I could do a build thread on all my projects but just not enough time. This one is so different I just couldn't resist.

enloe, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Stripping out the molding getting ready for sand blasting
    IMG_0607.jpg

enloe, mad mikey, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Once Sand blasting was done there was not much left. Passenger side rocker panel was completely gone. Here's the steps to make a new one out of .032 sheet metal.
    It has a slight roll then a break where the bottom of the door lines up with it.
    IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0610.jpg

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Next the break at the top where the new floor will tie into it.
    IMG_0612.jpg IMG_0613.jpg

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I can read the facial expression,,,$#^%&*(^ screw. LOL Wonder how a transbrake would work with that. Too violent? Why just pick up the front wheels when you can hike all four? LOL. Lippy

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now the hard part, it has to be formed to fit the funny angle in the front, a little shrinking and stretching then some hammer and dolly work. Rear was easy it just stays straight.

IMG_0616.jpg IMG_0615.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    mad mikey, catdad49, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great work. I can't wait to see it finished. Lippy

mad mikey, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

About 1/2 the screws had to be welded then vice grips to get them out. I might have been ahead if I had just bought a good body.

mad mikey, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

New home made rocker panel installed. I cut it back until there was metal but still some repairs to be done in the door jam. You can see how the curve and bottom break matches the body at the bottom
    IMG_0617 (1).jpg View attachment 4576174

enloe, mad mikey, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The front where it had to be formed to fit where the original rocker went. This is not my best work as most know I'm just throwing this deal together.
    IMG_0618.jpg

mad mikey, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  20. This is interesting build to watch how you tackle all the technical challenges to make it do what is planned. I love the idea, keep us inquiring minds posted sir. Just what the downtime needs!

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I have to warn everybody this project is on a strict budget and I don't have a lot of time so don't laugh because your going to see a lot of things that are not built to my style. The roll cage is the next project and it's no exception. The bars in the next few pics were bent and installed in less than 3 hours. No pains were taken to make it fit good.
    The front passenger out rigger for the a pillow bar.
    IMG_0633 (1).jpg

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Rear outrigger for the main hoop.
    IMG_0632.jpg

enloe, mad mikey, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Roll cage pics. Still a few bars and braces to add later.
    IMG_0631.jpg IMG_0634.jpg IMG_0636.jpg

mad mikey, catdad49, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not quite sure what anyone else thinks, but I'd be happier than a ground hog in soft dirt to have a cage that nice in my heap! Especially in that short of time frame! I think you're being a tad too critical of yourself. :rolleyes: I have no doubt that EVERYTHING will be top notch when it's done. If you want to see Shoddy workmanship, let me at the pipe rack and the bender, I'll show 'ya how it's NOT supposed to look! LOL!!! :D:D:D Lookin' good Brother! I'll be watching 'till the bitter end! :cool::)

enloe, catdad49, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  25. Well outside of that she's cherry....yep...just needs a little fixen...

enloe, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Fantastic job Quain .... this truck is going to be one-of-a-kind. Thank you so much for making the time to share this with us all, it is greatly apprieciated.

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

LOL the pics make it look better than it really looks. I am building it so the cab will come off so it had to fit a little loose for that to work. Thanks for following along.

enloe, mad mikey, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Your worst work is better than most's best. It looks good.
    My old automatic Gasser would go to half track on the back wheels if I put the ladder bars all the way down in the front. I would just follow the point of the hood to see if I needed to set it down early.
    Y faded memories.jpg ou will have the advantage of see through floor boards to tell where you are going.

winr, enloe, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like the idea of see through floors. Be a lot easier to see where you are on the track. Maybe some Lexan windows would do the trick? Seems like I remember reading about one of the famous wheel standers, might have been the Little Red Truck, being set up that way.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  30. Leave it to Quian, as if his duties hosting the 11 events that give the many fans,both young & old a glimpse of what real heads up drag racing was like back in the good ole days yet it is not enough fot him!

Quain has continued to improve the SEGA by adding a different new venue in 2019, the Super Stock Class and not being content he is bringing back a form of entertainment that proved wildly entertaining back in the 60's, the wheel standing exhibition.

He say's it will be Strictly Exhibition class but who knows, Quain has been know to let Pandora out of the box in the past! :D who knows what the future will bring? HRP

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    mad mikey, catdad49, loudbang and 3 others like this.