Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Small Scale, Big Horsepower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 14, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Small Scale, Big Horsepower

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

jnaki, Tim, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always loved these small engines and really appreciate the workmanship involved! Cool!

31hotrodguy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. When dad and I were going to the LARS every year in the 90's, as soon as the roadster or whatever we were driving was parked I would beeline to find the Bay Area Modelers and just loiter for a while and watch them fire those things up. My uncle Jim Hay began building scale single cylinder hit and miss engines, then graduated up to a 4 cylinder.

31hotrodguy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. sololobo

sololobo

small but mighty, these excellently engineered babies always intrigue me

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool

6. Joey @J.Ukrop -

Thanks for sharing!

The yearly "Bay Area Engine Modelers" show within this "late August Car Show" is always a Must-See for me.

I always enjoy talking to these talented machinists ... and appreciate how enthusiastic they are to share their creations with us Hot Rodders.

The supercharged V8s are for sure very cool ... but my favorites still remain Ron Bement's ARDUN & Offy minature motors ... Here's a couple iPhone videos I shot at the 2011 "late August Car Show":

Sadly, we lost Mr. Bement a little over a year ago:

Ron Bement & his ARDUN Scale Model Engine @ the 25th GG WCNs.jpg
    Ronald Bement
    January 7, 1939 - November 16, 2018

7. 55Belairman

55Belairman

8. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I just love these miniature engines! I remember back in the 60's building my Visible V8 and wishing it was real. I wanted one for my go kart. These are about the same size. I wonder if the horsepower output is in scale relation to the full scale engines they are modeled after. Has anyone ever dyno'ed one of these engines? They are examples of supreme craftsmanship!

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Many years ago there was a magazine article with photos about Ron Bements' unbelievable handbuilt engines and his shop, now I was a machinist for many years but I sure felt out his league, a true craftsman with skills beyond belief.
    RIP Mr. Bement.

FlynBrian and HEMI32 like this.
  11. Bluedot

Bluedot

Great pieces of engineering, but that cited website URL shows where my mind is. Instead of reading it as North American Model Engineering Society Exposition, I first read it as Name Sex Position. Surely I'm not the only one? Not that I was disappointed when I checked it out....

55Belairman and Lepus like this.
  12. Totally what I always thought. Go kart, mini bike, even a push mower would be awesome with one of these.

13. No you’re not the only one

14. This one? ... in issue Number Twenty Nine of The Rodders Journal (pages 58-61):

TRJ #29 pg 58.JPG TRJ #29 pg 59.JPG TRJ #29 pg 60.JPG TRJ #29 pg 61.JPG

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

HEMI32 likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Skills and much better eyesight than I have! No way I could see some of those tiny parts without a big magnifying glass, and I doubt my ten thumbs could assemble one for sure!

17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I really would like to know how much power these miniatures make! I would think they could be hooked up to a dyno like the kart or motorcycle engine builders use. I can only imagine having a V8 go kart. How cool would that be?