Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40' Plymouth driver

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 40 Plymouth driver, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Hello, just signed on, Welcome to all.. I just purchased this car recently, It had survived hurricane Sandy, in NJ. It was sitting in water waist high, and probably then some..Stock flat head six could not be saved, ( rusted out badly) So, when I got it,...it had already had another drive train build on the existing chassis, by the guy who sold me the old girl.. I bought it here in Ga. about 2 weeks ago now.. It has got the makings to be a good daily driver, so right now I am going through the car, making sure to make changes where needed..surprisingly the body is solid, ( no bondo) all good metal..good bones to work with.. It has a 48 Merc flat head V8 in it, conversion housing to accept a T5 transmission out of a Chevy S10, rack & pinion steering, with a Jeep Cherokee rear axle.. New gas tank, w/ sending unit. New custom dual exhausts..Right now I have ordered new ignition parts for a tune up. the flat head needs it...I will keep you posted as I get into this project.. Flash! 0209201835 (1).jpg 0218201228.jpg Well,..there's all the left over debri, LOL Tune up went pretty smooth as it turned out.. The flathead has some Zip now...like night & day!.. I did find where the brake piston had stopped working, because the rubber coupler was old and dried up,( stopped making a good vacuum seal) so, I fabricated a new piece which goes between the distributor & the crank..Fixed.. Next,... ??? Will keep ya"ll posted... See ya down the road.. Thanks, for reading... Vic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Sounds cool. Any pictures? Nice that it has a t5 already

3. Hi, @ Mcnally 351, Yeah there will be some pics forth coming, but I will get some posted when can.. Still trying to navagate my way around..Thanks for the comment! appreciate that..Vic

mcnally351 likes this.
  4. Yeah, the Falcon's ought to scream! Awesome! Vic

mcnally351 likes this.

5. George

George

Was it waist high in salt water or fresh water flooding? If salt the long term viability isn't good. My Dad had a '59 Willys Jeep wagon that spent 1 year in Vermont when new. Couldn't stop the rust.

6. 2828.jpeg 2832.jpeg
    Yes, Hi George, Nice to meet you... Well, I believe it was in fresh water flooding, well inland from shore.. The only rust you can see is a light surface rust, because the car had set out in the elements for about 6 years..( after being rescued) before it actually had work started on it. But the frame is solid, and all new drive train installed, by the guy who had it before me.. I know in the pic, it looks pretty bad, but that is the original black paint and the body is all metal ( solid, no bondo) Paint will be the last step in this project, but I will light sand the surface rust for now & put black primer to keep even surface rust at bay..Ty, for asking George..I appreciate your inquiry... Oh, by the way good luck with your projects too.. I see you have been on for sometime ..I will update from time to time..Thanks,Vic.. P.S. I sent 2 pics that show where the water mark went to..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    62rebel likes this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

Sounds like a great project. Keep us posted!

40 Plymouth driver likes this.
  8. George

George

A buddy has a '41 with a Camaro sub frame & a 354 hemi in it.

9. Gidday from Oztralia.........some of the parts 7 panels look familiar........lol...........I've had my Oz 1940 Dodge since 1971, here the Oz assemblers used 1940 Plymouth chassis, fenders, hood, head & taillights & bumpers with Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto or Chrysler grilles, badges & dashes as the market here was miniscule compared to the Nth American market........my cars had a 1962 318 Poly, cast iron auto, 4 wheel discs, rack & pinion and uprated original style front end since 1973.........I'm trying to comprehend the Merc V8 installation.....lol.........got a pic?..........heres the poly install..........regards, Andy Douglas

Attached Files:

das858 and 40 Plymouth driver like this.
  10. Hi Andy,... Hey what a nice awesome ride you have there..I like that 318 you've installed... I had a 318 in my old 77 Dodge Van years back..a great reliable motor, for sure.. Sure hope your all doing okay avoiding those fires down under.. I can't take any credit for the 48 Merc flathead install.. But it runs great ..I will be giving her a tune up soon as the parts get here.. 2824-1.jpg I am just getting started with this project, Andy.. Thanks for sharing your ride with me..It's an awesome custom... Talk again soon, and I will keep updating, as I go along.. regards, Vic 0131201346a.jpg

11. My first comment was.........well I'll be damned............some people might think............nah this guys having us on..............but I recognise the bracket that the hood prop fits on and the firewall coil hole & 3 screws as 1940 Mopar parts........yep.......lol........there REALLY IS a Frod Flathead in that engine bay...........lol..........I have learnt something today..........lol.........thanks Vic.........andyd

12. Ha,ha,...ha..That's funny Lol.. Yeah, it's for real Andy.. Have a good one! Catch up with ya soon.. Lol..

13. Flash! [​IMG] [​IMG] Well,..there's all the left over debri, LOL Tune up went pretty smooth as it turned out.. The flathead has some Zip now...like night & day!.. I did find where the brake piston had stopped working, because the rubber coupler was old and dried up,( stopped making a good vacuum seal) so, I fabricated a new piece which goes between the distributor & the crank..Fixed.. Next,... ??? Will keep ya"ll posted... See ya down the road.. Thanks, for reading... Vic

dwollam and RAR1947 like this.
  14. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Hell yeah looks like a cool project!

15. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Lol yes sir!

16. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Nice old car ,when the flathead ford dies ,find a nice flathead 6 , I'm sure Andy will agree .

17. Tub............nah I've heard that 318 Polys fit much better........lol.........andyd

18. George

George

A or LA!

19. 40 Plymouth driver Flash: Little things mean a lot... Been busy working on some loose ends since the purchase.. Got the horns remounted... also, got the original wiper motor lubricated & working, mounted, provided a new vacuum port at carb, new hose, & new wiper blades installed...(wipers clapping time again, woo hoo!) Also, hooked up the Gas gauge... Wow! nice to see that gas level again!.. Stay tuned.. more updates will be coming... Regards, Vic

dwollam and harpo1313 like this.
  20. Update: Rebuilt the front brake cylinders, bled system with new brake fluid.. Lubed the front king pins, tie rod ends, etc.. Mounted a new pair of mirrors. Installed all new 6v bulbs, stop & tails, got parking lights working... Ripped out all the old carpeting, put new floor mats down for now.. Getting ready to either order a rebuilt carb or maybe do a rebuild kit.. Will also be getting new tires mounted on original 16" rims soon.. That's it for now.. keep'em running!
    Flash: Installed 2 new Monroe shocks on the front, still have to modify rear brackets before rears can be installed. Ordered a NOS rebuilt Carb. & new spacer gaskets.. See ya down the road!

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    s55mercury66 likes this.
  21. Vic.........good to hear your getting things done...........I'm still amazed with this engine swap, it would have to be one of the more unusual swaps I've ever seen but it really makes me smile and its the sort of thing that will make a few people take a double look.........lol.........have you got any pics of the steering column/rack conversion also and T5 install, also curious how the engine/trans are mounted, not for any other reason than if I saw it in the flesh I'd be checking everything out due to its uniqueness........thanks for the updates.........andyd

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

There was a guy posting from Idaho a year or so back, who was looking for info on putting a flathead Ford in a '37 Plymouth sedan, definitely not something seen every day.

24. Sure Andydodge,..
    I would be glad to take some pics and show the drive train hook up when I get a chance.. Thanks, for your comments... Vic

25. Hi Andy,
    Rack & pinion/ mid 90's Chevy Cavalier. Bell housing is a (Summit). Allows for V8 flat head motor bolt up, & for T-5 Trans which came out of a 94 Chevy S-10 pickup. Clutch/ pressure plate/fork, out of a Chevy Astro Van. Rear axle from a Jeep Cherokee. I hope this sheds some light on the drive train hookup for ya, mate..

Attached Files:

s55mercury66 likes this.
  26. 0503202039a.jpg 0503202107.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  27. Thats the stock Plymouth brake master cylinder and clutch linkage.........lol..........whoever did this conversion really did quite a job........these little things like this impress me.......maybe I'm just an impressionable old fart but this car intrigues me........thanks for the pics.............andyd

28. Cars back in the day were built to last.. The master cylinder lasted 80 years, so why not another 80, Lol.. My dad would always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.. Lol It's still working fine, but I did buy a rebuild kit if needed.. Have a great day, down under mate.. Keep'em running! Vic..