Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical THE most rare Pontiac intake ever?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Nov 29, 2016.

1. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Frank, could you please share Arnie Beswick’s contact info? I wanted to reach out for an autograph. Sent you a PM...
    Thanks much!

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  2. frank spittle

frank spittle

Done. I am sure he will want to hear from you.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  3. frank spittle

frank spittle

I will be in Greensboro this weekend and spend some time with Arnie. I am sure he will have something to add here about his memory of the intake.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Tell him all his HAMB fans say hello :)

kidcampbell71, 1947knuck and TFoch like this.
  5. frank spittle

frank spittle

6. Berryhill

Berryhill
    from Taft TN

I've saw a couple of pics before but never the story. Thanks for the history.

A friend has a 421 intake and it's supposed to be pretty rare by what little bit of research I've done on it but this one is way cooler.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Interesting stuff.

Mike

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. frank spittle

frank spittle

I asked Arnie today if he used the small carb and if it worked. He said he did and it didn't. I will have more on it tomorrow. All four of his daughters are with him. I have never seen all of them with him before. They are a close family and trying to cope with the loss of Mrs. B.

kidcampbell71, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  9. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Thanks to you @frank spittle, I called Arnie and we had a lovely phone conversation about my newly acquired 60 Ventura. He once demo-dragged the same car at a Quad Cities Pontiac event in the late 90’s. Father of the GTO / Pontiac Advertising Exec Jim Wangers also made a run with the car on the same day. At the time of the event, the car belonged to former Pontiac Exec and President of the Sixty Owners Society car club, Doug Bendle of Nashville, TN.

Arnie shared some cool stories about driving his 60 Pontiac all the way down to Daytona, FL from Illinois...changing the intake, gear to a 4.30, timing, etc. all in the parking lot! The “beating Chevy’s ass”...putting all the street parts back on the car in the same parking lot and driving home. “That’s how it was done back then...”

Arnie’s in my Hall of Fame!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  10. frank spittle

frank spittle

Glad you got to talk with him. I talked with him at Greensboro. I also had the honor of introducing a close friend as he was also being inducted into the North Carolina Drag Racing HOF along with Arnie. Pete Hill and I raced T/F Harleys 40 years ago, mine was powered by two Sportster engines and his a supercharged single engine Harley. It was a hobby for me but business for him and he is known worldwide today and stays busy rebuilding vintage Harley engines. He also ran Harleys at Bonneville and was friends with "The Worlds Fastest Indian" Burt Munro.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

guess i've lived a sheltered life! my first thought was the fuelie intake '57-'58 (?).

12. carbking

carbking

The 1957 and 1958 Pontiac fuel injection intakes were different for the different years.

There is a reason why Pontiac discontinued fuel injection after only 2 years, and the same reason why MOST 1957 and 1958 Bonnevilles that show up at auction are described as "low mileage cars".

Jon.

kidcampbell71, dan c and loudbang like this.