Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Could of cried 34 3w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39WILLZ, Jan 14, 2020.

1. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Very good work. I am impressed. You are going to fool around and have a super nice coupe out of this ordeal. Keep up the good work. Gives me hope on my projects.

39WILLZ likes this.
  2. Wavetrain75

Wavetrain75

What do you use to do such a beautiful job of scouring the paint/primer to the bare metal?

39WILLZ likes this.
  3. The hamb is blessed with 2 killer build threads.
    Imagine if those goofy tv shows could show stuff like this.
    Great work sir

Jet96, jimgoetz, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.
  4. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hi Wayne, my floor pan just has a single battery hole![/QUOTE]
    Your one came out of this one then , turns out the floor was the best part of it. How you getting on with yours ?

5. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks so much for the nice words, I'm pleased with the way it's going so far some days are hard tho when I uncover more crap.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg
    I use flap wheels that fit in a 4,1/2" grinder they vary in grit from 40 grit to 120 not sure what you guys call them

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  7. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks very much makes it all worth while when you guys enjoy it too, not sure a TV crew would air some of the language I've been using while working on this one tho,,,,'

8. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Little more done still working on the left side. Top of the door frame was a mess so ended up making a new inner frame. Mounted steering column too. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. AmishMike

AmishMike

Amazing great work. U should be proud. A saying in the us - u turned a pigs ear into a silk purse

39WILLZ likes this.
  10. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks very much, I'm feeling good about it now, starting to look like a car now

11. Smokey34

Smokey34

12. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Great progress Wayne....

13. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks Bob some of its been a real challenge but learnt a lot more on the way, just need to get some sleep now, take it easy,,,,,,

14. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Been a bit slow, moved round to the rear working on the deck lid as like the rest of the car the lid was a mess and full of bondo so cut the skin off and repaired inner frame and planning on making a new skin. Also changed from a rumble lid so made up a pair of hinges as didn't have any. Repair rear quarters where they meet the deck lid as they had bad repairs and topped off with lots of bondo.

chryslerfan55, Baumi, alfin32 and 3 others like this.
  15. If I'm not mistaken, you posted a thread after you got it.

16. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

17. One of the pictures and the story seemed familiar. My mistake.

39WILLZ likes this.
  18. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

No problem had me thinking thought I'd gone mad,,,,,,,

19. Coleman8

Coleman8
    from UK

20. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Way to prove that indeed you can polish a turd! Great work!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great project, just checking in, have a Happy New Year!

Bob

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you're in pretty good shape, in spite of everything. A lesser man would have been stopped cold.

Didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if you came to a conclusion about the condition of the car and the seller's credibility or lack of it. But just a thought. The man you bought the car from may have in fact been selling his grandfather's car... and judging the car from outward appearances himself.

23. ...awesome work you're doing to save that coupe!...what are your plans to build it?..hiboy?...fenders?, drvetrain?...it'll be a dandy whichever way you go.

24. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

@39WILLZ Is there any progress to report? Looking forward to seeing the finished car!

25. SS327

SS327

Holy Herpes Cure Batman! That car looks a thousand percent better! Can you update please?

26. I had looked at this car long and hard when it was for sale. I thought of pulling the trigger several times on buying this , but as I looked at the pictures they sent real hard and something kept telling me to pass, As most of us I was fighting my inner thoughts. Instead I bought a all steel 33 vicky for a little more than this vehicle .
    I am sorry that the seller was that scrupulous to miss advertise this vehicle.
    Vic

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    SS327, The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sir, do some impressive work. Still it is a totally different thing buying a hulk knowing that it is a rough hulk than being scammed into buying scabbed together mess that was misrepresented.

28. SS327

SS327

I just can’t believe someone put in the time and labor to do all that and not do it right. Looks like it was gas welded in the old days though. The guy should have been a sculptor.

29. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am looking at the beginning of this saga and look at the one sitting in my barn and wish I had yours in the beginning! I bought mine last year had it shipped from Portland Oregon to Maine. It cost almost as much as the car to ship. I started looking at the body and a car builder came to look at it. I wanted his opinion and he promised he would not laugh. I am sure it was tough for him to hold it in!
    The body lines/revels are made of Bondo and the door mounts are steel from? After deciding I would start collecting some pieces I called Steve's and ordered both rear quarters and the panel above and below the trunk lid. There is no trunk lid just sheet steel. The doors have no tops and the same body man gave me two door tops to help me out. I will save some of the roof and the cowl. I have a replacement fire wall and half a floor. I checked my scrap pile and I now have two halves of a wind shield. I will probably start this fall while I am still working on my 5 window made from scrap also so 1 headache at a time.
    Not a quitter but it will be nice if I live long enough!

30. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i had lost track of this thread, you have come a long ways good work.