Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dead Blow Mallets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pirate, Feb 13, 2020.

1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

What are you guys using for Dead Blow Mallets? I had a Craftsman that I used for numerous years however during last use the hitting surface started falling apart as if the plastic had been effected by the atmosphere or a chemical. I suppose Harbor Freight is probably the answer but looking for other options.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Craftman might warranty the hammers.....SnapOn did mine.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Home depot has an Estwing in stock....I've been meaning to buy a dead blow hammer for a few decades, maybe now is the time.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just bought a 3-pack on Amazon for around $20. 3 different sizes, bright orange (hopefully to aid in my not losing them). They seem like a quality product but I have yet to use them.

5. I had a decent one, (forget brand) that worked great, until I tried to tighten up some knock off's in the winter, I guess 10deg didn't agree with the plastic and it shattered.

6. Gangrene

Gangrene

Napa now carries craftsman they will warranty it for you. They will give you a number to call, then a new one shows up at your house.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. I had a bright orange deadblow for years, I grabbed it one time it was white-ish looking and just crumbled. I’ve got some some old black handled snap on screw drivers doing the same thing. I must have the coronavirus in my shop.

8. Mine is from HF and I was told at check out that it has a lifetime warranty. My old Stanley hammer broke after years of abuse.

9. finn

finn

The orange ones from HF shatter in cold weather. At least mine did. So did a HF air hose on the planishinng hammer and the HF grinder handle.

Got a blue USA made dead blow from Menards or Lowe’s and it doesn’t mind the cold. Neither do my Bosch , Makita, Dewalt, or Milwaukee grinders.

10. Deuces

Deuces

Here's the one I use here at work.... I've had it for almost 20 years now and use it every day lining up fixture plates..... It's a no name brand... IMG_20200213_104313.jpg

11. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Seems like they all fall apart sooner or later. I've had cheap ones and expensive ones and they all eventually fall apart.

12. Budget36

Budget36

My son inlaw had knockoffs and had a mallet that was lead on the hitting surface.

My dead blows are 25 years old or so from HF. Pick up a few brass mallets too while you're there.

13. Tetanus

Tetanus

[​IMG]

Lixie, you can buy replacement ends also

14. spook498

spook498

I have a HF one that I have beat the snot out of. The plastic has started to split.. I will just take it back and get a new one. I dont use it that often.

15. jaracer

jaracer

Had a tool man talk me into a dead blow hammer for knock offs. I could tighten them, but never get them off. I found that regular hammer worked much better, you really need that sharp blow. Ended up with a stout little hammer from Speedway that has copper ends.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Never had a use for one. My 2lb ball pein works pretty good, if I need something bigger, there's always the 20 lb sledge....:D:D:D

17. Deuces

Deuces

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Worked in an explosive atmosphere for 35 years , I have bronze , lead , leather and shot filled . I have a 10 lb dead blow ( Snap On ) you can whale the hell right out of something with that monster and never feel a bit of sting in the hands . Snap On will replace a busted hammer , but you could buy four for what you pay for one .

19. My HF one (orange..) stunk to high heaven for a long time. Must be something in the plastic cure.. or not cure..

seb fontana, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Trusty Cook. Great tools.

I have a set of their blems from deadblowhammerdeals.com and cannot find a flaw on any.

21. Snap on makes a good one

THOR has good ones as well raw hide, leather, copper , lead etc.

22. Stooge

Stooge

I've been replacing my dead blows as they fall apart, with, (and adding dead blow ball peens) Trusty Cook hammers. US made, seem to be the OE for many other brands and they have a representative over on the Garagejournal forums who posts specials, cosmetic defect deals, etc. https://trustycook.com/product-category/hammers/

chryslerfan55 and Nostrebor like this.
  23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I have a Champagne CH-2, over 20 years old and held up great.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. donno

donno

Ken Tool, had it forever, no idea where I got it.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This is my Snap on dead blow ball peen that I have had for over 35 years. I guess the red plastic started coming off a couple of years ago. Is this covered under warranty? I currently do not have a snap on dealer. He used to stop at my place weekly. Back in 2001 right after I had painted the body for the futurian white, pearl and mini flake and clear, he walked in and asked what kind of primer job did I call that? He was serious so I asked him what I owed him and I wrote him a check and told him to never darken my door again...

455CF282-B8F3-48B1-956F-088AED6517C1.jpeg 1942BA67-1C57-45C6-934A-59C65FC33366.jpeg
    4F34E256-245D-4F85-BE4F-B8FE55071850.jpeg

26. I made the same purchase and have found them to be of good quality. My work is generally medium to light duty and they work well at that level.

27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Yes it is covered ! Google and contact nearest distributor , I have mailed a few tools to them that the truck “ Tool Pirate “ refused to replace because I did not “ purchase “ from him . I was HOT x10 , no where on that truck does it say only warranted if purchased here . If that is the case , I guess the silly dude needs to give me a shovel to dig up my tool man , for replacement . He has been dead for 30 years !

28. 40Vert

40Vert

Absolutely, Trusty Cook made in Indianapolis and according to Garage Journal, they are the supplier for Snap-On. I have six.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Nostrebor, Stooge and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Not affiliated with these folks but for those who might be interested in a good deal here’s one. These are Trusty Cook dead blow blemished stock. I ordered a couple have not received them yet. Blemish doesn’t effect usefulness of hammer. Not all models are available. Go to this website: Deadblowhammerdeals.com and at checkout enter code blemx2 for discount.

loudbang likes this.
  30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i had 2 snap on dead blow ball peen hammers they did the same thing got this chalk colored stuff on the plastic i hit something and the plastic shattered