Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Original paint scheme sedans built to hotod pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CC-Mo, Feb 9, 2020.

1. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

So, I've recently purchased a '30 Tudor sedan. 100% original car. Solid as can be.
    Actually driving to get it tomorrow.
    It'll be driven and enjoyed as a banger for a year two.
    Future plan is to make it a hotrod. I've been focusing on the traditional 28-29, 30-31 original color paint schemes. Black fenders, two and sometimes 3 different colors for body and upper body.
    In other words, from. 100' away, looks like a restored original. Get closer, it's a hotrod.
    Flathead or later Ford power, later 32 & up rails/chassis.
    This combo seems unusual from what I've seen but I think the idea is cool.
    Looks original from a distance, but. It's a hotrod when you get closer.
    Any pics like said build, post up. I need ideas on color combos.
    Thanks in advance.

2. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Your computer may make this color combination look a little different than I'm seeing but it is one I have considered. It's not a stock combo but the result of using two colors not usually seen together. I think the black striping on either side of the beltline, black inside trim and traditional gray upholstery set it off. Not sure where I got the pic and it is not a real good example. You need to visualize it using your imagination. Henry started painting the fenders black in response to claims it was easier to match colors after fender benders. I think the colors used in this pic would look great with the grayish green used above the beltline and on the fenders. Just an example I like b 6.jpg ut, color is subjective.

alfin32 and CC-Mo like this.
  3. Not unusual at all,good combo.Pictures when you get it.

4. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

Yes Sir! That's what Ive got in mind . The classic original paint combos.
    I've been wearing out the interweb looking at original cars with original paint applications.
    Seems like most hotrod builds go with solid black or wild ass colors which I don't want.
    Some coupe builds I've seen use a traditional color but I rarely see a sedan with original colors.
    My vision is a sedan, hotrod, but with a traditional paint scheme.
    Thanks for posting. I'm putting color combos together in my head to come up with the final choice.

5. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

IMG_1031.PNG
    This is what sparked this idea.
    Photochopped pic from this forum.
    Classical look, hotrod underneath

alfin32, JPaulB and A 2 B like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are hot rods with original color schemes, and then there are hot rods that look... for all practical purposes... original.

A little bit of middle ground area.

The main distinction would probably be stance and wheel and tire selection. But there would be other choices to be made.

You'll have to define (for yourself)
    How original do you want it to look?

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Functional consideration.

Wire wheels? But still wanna squeak squeal smoke the tires?

Some guys do it. Some wire wheels are stronger than others.

One guy had custom made billet aluminum wheels made to to look like they were made of wood. Not on this forum.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. If you want it to look stock with full fenders forget the '32 frame.

Charlie Stephens

brad2v, Tim, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  9. Here's a couple Model A's tapatalk_1581481428954.jpeg tapatalk_1581398890779.jpeg

Phil

alfin32, CC-Mo, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you plan to run fenders etc how will you run the 32 rails and why would you bother and not just run the A chassis if you aim is to have it look like a restored car from a distance?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    CC-Mo and pprather like this.
  11. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

Well now my lack of knowledge about these cars shows! Lol. Even aftermarket 32 frame setups of course won't allow fenders.
    Now to research what can be done to mod the model A frame to allow small Ford V8.
    My '33 is a hotrod. Flathead. Traditional style.
    The A might lean more towards street rod so the mods might put this in a different section.

12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be 1000s of As running around with SBF V8s in them.

Nooooooooooooooooooo. :)

13. My old '29... 50616687_10211145215421016_4791122871516659712_n.jpg Hard to tell from the picture but the top and body band are Rock Moss green, the rest of the body is Vagabond green and of course the fenders are black.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Gasser 57, catdad49 and CC-Mo like this.
  14. One more. A custom color with black fenders.
    tapatalk_1581949594114.jpeg
    Photo by Tom Davidson.
    Phil

15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

There is, or was, an aftermarket Deuce-rail supplier that offered a flat-top on the rails, for the modelA bodies. Might allow for modelA fenders, but the wb is longer, so the running boards n side aprons (if used) will have to be lengthened n modified also. Could be an interesting look if pulled off correctly, resulting in a head-scratcher for some folks. . But a lot of work for little gain.
    As for the OEM outside/inside, Hotrod underneath, look, except for maybe using ~'35 wire wheels, what you are proposing was very popular in the 70s n 80's. Was called "Resto Rods". Also found occasionally in the 50's n 60's, sometimes referred to as "Sleepers". Might help in your search.
    Marcus...

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Refering to CC-Mo's pic
    The restored original look pic you posted you were referring to classic looking paint and wheels I assume. But the car is definitely chopped. More done there hotrod than just undereath in appearance.