Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 9 sec. 38 Dodge truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jan 11, 2020.

1. exterminator

exterminator

No, you must have him confused with someone else. Sorry. Exterminator

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

This is the brand new polished Hilborn injection with scoop. I am leaning towards the carb though. I am runni g a MSD distributor but not sure on what control box. Looking at the 6al but still looking. 20190611_132714.jpeg 20190611_130304.jpeg 20190612_200701.jpeg 20190917_183457.jpeg 20191005_090439.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

After a some more research, and questions, I believe I narrowed my ignition down to 2, and the 6AL is not one of them. I am going to run the Holley HP or the Dominator. I also will be going with the Hilborn setup since I already have it and it will work good with my electronics. I believe that the HP will be fine but if I want to add more inputs I would have to upgrade. For what I am building I don't think I need to spend the extra. Im still out of town for awhile so no update pics because nothing has happened, but when I get home something will happen.

If it seems like im not sure what way to go on things, its because im not. I have never built anything like this so it is all new to me. I do ask a lot of questions to businesses and hope I get a straight answer from them. So far Lee at Littlefield Blowers, Andy Starr at Holley/Hilborn, and Brian (racerx) has answered a lot of questions, Thanks to them. Since im not home I have time for calls and questions so I get the right parts the first time. Now to find out about the fuel system, and I am going to start by talking to Kinsler, and maybe run a Meldon pump.

Tony

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Hemi Joel, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  4. The weldon pump is a very good high end pump. I have had mine 5 years now with zero problems.

AHotRod, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  5. loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 Me likey too...this is getting exciting AND scary at the same time:D

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. A lot more than you think, care to put your money where your mouth is? HRP

8. RR

RR

Be careful not to over size your fuel pump. While you want enough to make as much HP as you can on the strip, the 250 mile drives with a high volume pump will put a lot of heat into the pump and more importantly, the fuel. I suggest staged fuel pumps where you have two smaller pumps in parallel. One is used for street driving and the other comes on when the fuel demand goes up. This way, you are pumping less fuel when you need less fuel. The Holley ECU's should have the ability to do this. I know of at least one guy running two Walbro fuel pumps in parallel and controlled just like I said. I run a single Walbro GSL392 and at Drag Week 2016 I had to put ice on the fuel cell because the fuel was getting hot.

Another option is to have a track fuel pump and a street fuel pump, but that requires change over at the track. And trust me, every little thing you add to the change over becomes a real pain by day 5.

Just more things to think about. I will be following your build! Hope to see you in September.

loudbang likes this.
  9. That's alot of needless fooling around and weight. Weldon offers a box that controls the speed of the pump. A toggle switch flips from street to strip with a dial for fine tuning. Tony do you research. I use one and it works great.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    ottoman, loudbang and David Gersic like this.
  10. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

HERE IS A LITTLE THOUGH ABOUT THE FRAME. YEARS BACK IN FRESNO CIRCLE TRACK GUYS RULES SAID NO ALL TUBE CHASSIS SO THERE WERE CARS THAT HAD ROUND ROLL CAGES WITH ROUND TUBE CHASSIS INSIDE OF 2X3 TUBING RAILS. THEY SLIDE THE TUBE THROUGH THE REQ TUBE CAP THE ENDS AROUND THE OUTSIDE TUBE AND WELD ROLL CAGE TO IT FIT RULES I WILL LOOK FOR A PHOTO OF A FRAME I HAD FROM A FRESNO SUPER MODIFIED

19Eddy30 likes this.
  11. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

HERE IS THE CHASSIS OR MY 19 20191230_161937.jpg 48 CHEVY SEDAN DELIVERY

Dog_Patch likes this.
  12. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

MORE PHOTOS OF THE 1948 FRAME 20190922_133801.jpg 20190922_133814.jpg

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See the "Caps Lock" key on your keyboard? Press it once......

14. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

Sorry for the caps

milwscruffy likes this.
  15. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

My suggestion,and worth every penny it cost you,is to forget the blown gasser cartoon car,and build something you can actually drive
    and enjoy.

You can easily spend tens of thousands of dollars and end up with something that sits in the garage when it's not being hauled on a
    trailer. I personally know people who have north of 40 grand in cars that sit in the garage because they are no fun to drive on the
    street,and not fast enough to be a real race car.

Maybe get this one going with a 318 or 340 so you have something fun to drive around,and then start looking around for your dream car/truck
    to build?

16. he already has a 340 in a drag week truck. this is the second truck to go faster. having previously owned tonies blown hemi I can say it is a fun reliable and fast engine. there is nothing cartoon about it.

loudbang and David Gersic like this.
  17. Who let Debbie downer in here? Mcmopar knows full well what he is getting into with this build.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I meant no offense.

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

File that under good sound advise that will not be taken. Tony has the itch for some dirty fast speed, at that point practicality has already left the building.

It's not going to be reasonable, but it's gonna be cool.

-Abone.

loudbang, David Gersic and racer-x like this.
  20. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

"File that under good sound advise that will not be taken. Tony has the itch for some dirty fast speed, at that point practicality has already left the building."

Tried that myself,and got tired of spending money forever and still not having something to drive daily.

Then again,I'm old now,and more interested in driving places further away than a quarter mile.

In fact,my semi-daily driver is a 51 Ford business coupe with the original flat 6 in it. Recently found and bought a Knudsen finned aluminum head and 3x1 intake for it,and will be running them with a 3/4 cam and dual exhaust and glasspacks after I pull the car apart for bodywork and paint. Looking for a set of cast iron headers for the 226 to finish it off.

Be putting my 99 percent unmodified 51 Victoria up for sale soon to finance the redo. It's a daily driver with 75k on the odometer. Original flat v-8 w/FOM.

21. That hemi with efi got 15 miles per gallon. No Prius but not bad considering what it was.

loudbang and 19Eddy30 like this.
  22. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I don't get much more than that with my stock Flat V-8 in my 51 Victoria.

23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

That’s disturbingly good. I get about 15 with my 3.9L V6 Dakota, which has all the get-up-and-go you’d expect from a 170K mile V6 pickup.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Arthur, Thanks for the advice, but as stated I already have a 340 in my 1937, and drive it everywhere, that's why I am building this one. I thought I would be happy with a mid 13 sec. truck as a daily driver, I was wrong, then it was a low 13, still to slow, then mid 12, not happy yet, low 12 getting close, and this year it will be close to 11.5, and im stopping there because I don't want to put a cage in it. Anyone that knows my 1937 knows it has been allover the U.S. in its short time on the road (2017 it was drivin to the H.A.M.B. Drags and I raced it on my b-day best et was 15.3). Since then its been to Arkansas, Virginia, Delware, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and drag raced in most of states.

I have some good people in my corner, guiding me through the process. I believe that I can build a low 9 sec. truck and drive it as much as I want to. I have always wanted a blower motor, and if ya got it might as well use it, so lets build this.
    Tony

loudbang likes this.
  25. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I apologize. I had no idea of your level of experience. Seems like most of my life I have seen people
    "building" their "dream cars",and the cars never get built. Most end up being hauled off to the crusher
    because they have been stripped down and cut up to the point there isn't much worth saving.

We all have our dreams,and sometimes our dreams have no relation to our reality when it comes to mechanical
    experience,place to work/story tools and parts,or money to do any of it.

Almost all of these people could have afforded a drivable and enjoyable car if they had made their
    dreams match their realities.

This was driven home to me recently when I finally had to admit I am too old,too sick,and too crippled
    up to do the work I LOVED doing,and am now having to take my project cars to a commercial garage to
    get them to the point where someone will want to buy and drive them,instead of refusing to face up to reality
    and have them sold for scrap at my estate sale.

Yes,I do plan on keeping one or two project cars so I have something to do when I feel good enough to do
    something,but they will be cars that will sell easily as project cars.

Not happy about any of this,but there it is.

fauj likes this.
  26. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

No need to apologize, im just explaining why I am building this. I have a plan that makes me think I can do it. I have done a lot of learning along the way, and I also know what you are talking about. I have a friend with 3 unfinished projects, because he ran out of money/time/interest. When I was young my Dad said I could do anything, and im going to. I do most work myself even, just because I like the learning, and if its wrong its my fault not someone that took my money, so I can only look in the mirror. I have learned that most people want you to do good in life, and will help you if you help yourself first, and the ones that don't well, we have to deal with them also.
    Tony

Tickety Boo, Arthur and loudbang like this.
  27. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

I boxed the stock frame on my 38 Dodge truck. It was built for the street and not the track but I will take it to the track at some point. Good luck on your project.

Attached Files:

270ci, loudbang and mcmopar like this.
  28. Well the @raven is running 10s on a boxed T frame and a buggy spring suspension. Naturally aspirated big inch SBC. You should have no problem getting that truck into the 9s with what you are building.

That said, I have seen a truck with an SBM(OPAR) a lot like it and I don't like it at all. Especially the color of it. :D :D :D

Gonna be watching your build my friend. I probably won't be much help but if you need something I'll try my best.

loudbang likes this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have been looking for someone to bend me some 2x4 rectangle steel, and its tough to find someone. One question I have is, will rolling it kink it or will it do the same as mandrel bending. I know that I can cut notch, bend and weld just prefer not to. I have talked to Boling Brothers in CA, but it will cost more in shipping than the product. I want it mandrel bent, but closer to home would be nicer, if not CA it is. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Thanks Tony

loudbang likes this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

S&W race cars
    Art Morrison Enterprise

loudbang likes this.