Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. I'm still here. Might have posted this before. My Kurtis Chassis #275, warming up at the Tulare Thunderbowl, 1988.

[​IMG]

KiWinUS, quick85, rpm56 and 7 others like this.
  2. 2 months later at Madera.

[​IMG]

KiWinUS, quick85, rpm56 and 7 others like this.
  3. Zoera

Zoera

Just thought of something the other day. On my KK chassis is TWO sets of rear motor mounts on each side. I will carefully remove the rearmost mounts with hope that chassis number might be under one of them. Nothing to lose, as the new engine will be a Pinto and will need new mounts.

loudbang likes this.
  4. OUT1LAW

OUT1LAW
    from washington

Does anyone have any more Information on Pogo Lundquist birth , passing history driving a race car?

loudbang likes this.
  5. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

This is a Drake powered Kurtis driven by Bill Cantrell possibly at Balboa stadium 1947-48. Car owners Jay Walton & George French both from San Diego area. Don Cameron also drove the car some in 1947. I believe that Cameron is in the group photo on the left side. They only raced the car 2 seasons at most and only traveled the west coast as far up as Sacramento area I am told. I have no idea where it went afterwards but I do know they bought it new from Kurtis but I do not know if it was complete or a chassis with body. Any info would be appreciated here or PM. George told me if they could get the car to the races a good driver would get in it for them. I believe Cantrell won five races in August 47. Some better pictures of #56 in Dick Wallen Distant Thunder book pages 150; 155; 167; 172 & 186. My uncle George French is most likely responsible for the racing affliction I have happily endured my whole life.
    B.CantrellG.FrenchJ.Walton unk 47_48Ply.jpg Bill Cantrell 47_48.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    wicarnut, quick85, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  6. Would anyone have a photo of Dutch Schafer's Cragar Jr. midget or information on it from the 1940's. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Brought this home for yard art. Ran in the Northwest #4. IMG_4275.JPG IMG_4276.JPG

KiWinUS, 1947knuck, Carter and 4 others like this.
  8. Hi, Being told that the Dutch Schaefer Cragar Jr. midget was light in color and number 37 on tail. Possibly this might help in locating photo of car. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  9. WBR 3E

WBR 3E

I recently purchased a 70's era midget project owned and driven by Mike Witzman of Toledo Ohio. Mike's dad was George Witzman of Detroit. George was a very successful midget and 'big car' driver in the Midwest in the 40's, dying in a midget accident at the Akron Rubber Bowl in 1948. Below are a few of the pictures I've located of George - I'd appreciate any press clippings or photos of George other members may have.

Attached Files:

10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Someone in my 'hood posted these photos on craigslist in his search
    for midgets and parts. They looked interesting so I tried to clean
    them up
    a bit and here we go:

Midget 1.jpg Midget 2.jpg Midget 3.jpg Midget 4.jpg Midget 5.jpg Midget 6.jpg Midget 7.jpg

wicarnut, KiWinUS, JOHN EVANS and 5 others like this.
  11. TA455HO

TA455HO

New (old) member just signed back on today - some great old photos on here.
    Here's a favorite of mine - picture of my uncle Kenneth (Ken) Petersen that I've always liked. Northwest (Seattle area) owner/driver - he raced from the early 50's until the early 70's. He and Palmer Crowell racing head to head on a Friday or Saturday night at the old Spanaway Speedway was never a dull moment. Credited with a record 73 wins that held until Rick Moss (retired) surpassed it by a few wins 3 decades later. He was one hell of a driver and one hell of a good mechanic. I lived with him and my Aunt who just passed away last month for 3 summers - worked in his shop for $5 an hour plus room and board. A great experience. He was a GM trained mechanic from 1946 shortly after he got home from WWII.

Kenny and the #55 car.jpg
    Kenny bio.jpeg

http://nwsprintcarhistory.com/champions/series-champions/wmra-champions/

And a link above to the local club web site so you can see others he raced against like Len Sutton, Bob McLees, etc.

Bob's brother lived right next door to us when I was growing up. He'd get out in his car early Saturday mornings and just sit in his driveway and rev his engine. For years my Dad referred to that as a "McLees tune-up".

I've got a few other pictures I can post if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Lil32, KiWinUS, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Sure am, posted them up.

1947knuck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. jimvette59

jimvette59

Wow that was before it became mandatory to have roll bars in the cars. Scary :( !!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  14. TA455HO

TA455HO

This picture is a little rough but it's the oldest one of Kenny in a racecar that I have. He had just purchased this car from Wes Beck. Year was 1953 in the SeaTac area. This became Kenny's #55 car in the picture I posted above. Kenny sold this car to Jim Crews in the winter of 1967 and it was rebadged as the #92 car that Kenny continued to drive for Jim. Glen Siedelman told me his Dad Bill Siedelman and Bill Helmer were paid by Jim Crews to keep this car ready to go as a backup until 1972. Then it became the #9 car that Ed Shefchik drove for Jim. So that chassis had some stories to tell.

Kenny in the #16 in 1953 before it became the #55.jpeg

wicarnut, Lil32, JOHN EVANS and 3 others like this.
  15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

School me on rear tires please.
    What type of surface would dictate smooth slicks?

loudbang likes this.
  16. TA455HO

TA455HO

FF - I know of you from the Ford-trucks forum. I doubt I'll be schooling you on much of anything - especially tires. I can tell you my uncle ran almost exclusively on pavement tracks, not dirt. Some exceptions, but rarely. And his tires often seemed to not have a lot of grooves in them - virtual slicks. Since it was almost always a fairly tight oval he often ran a smaller inner front tire to save weight - turn easier - whatever - it was not on the ground as often as the other three tires. Eventually as speeds increased he did go to Hoosiers and wide slicks of that nature. Here's a picture dated June 1960 and he's got Firestones on it for this race. Car had been rebadged as the #5 for one season. You can see from the second picture that whatever he was doing was working for him

CCF_000056.jpg Kenny Petersen award.jpg

wicarnut, Lil32, JOHN EVANS and 3 others like this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for the tire lesson TA455HO. Your pics are splendid. Kenny was a superstar.
    I wonder what was required to transition a car from asphalt to dirt besides tires.
    And a mud screen

loudbang and tractorguy like this.
  18. TA455HO

TA455HO

I might be able to shed some light on that topic. At least back in the day - some traction tires, a bandana, a steelie look in your eye and someone to help hold the trophies. Sky Valley Dirt Speedway in Monroe, WA Memorial Day 1969. Roll of film printed in January 1970.

Kenny in the #92 race car.jpg Sky Valley Memorial Day 1969.jpg

KiWinUS, wicarnut, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jack Corley, Portland, Or. IMG_4763.JPG

20. Speedster

Speedster

Here are a few pictures of the Edmunds Sesco I recently purchased.

IMG_5751.jpeg IMG_0825.jpeg IMG_0825.jpeg

Attached Files:

21. KKx125

KKx125

Kurtis Kraft midgets were stamped on the top of the left and right chassis rail between the dash hoop and the hoop brace, read from the outside, Also some were stamped on top of the rear member welded between chassis rails right at the rear toward the right side v , viewed from the rear. Gordon..

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  22. My KK chassis 275 had the numbers stamped in both places. My Dad's Chassis 121 only by the dash hoop.

tractorguy, Speedwrench and loudbang like this.
  23. HI DON any luck on a picture of DUTCH SCHIEFER CRAGAR JR MIDGET

loudbang likes this.
  24. is the CRAGAR JR midget the car he won CEDARHURST NY 1940 track championship ?
    could this be a CRAGAR JR prewar car with a headrest ?

loudbang likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Portland, Oregon, driver's name "Bowser". Dog car 1.jpg

Attached Files:

KiWinUS, wicarnut and loudbang like this.
  27. pictures of my prewar CRAGAR JR midget

Attached Files:

KiWinUS, wicarnut and loudbang like this.

Attached Files:

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  29. Zoera

Zoera

Looking for information on a KK midget once owned in 1964 by Jim Adams in Urbana Ill. Car was purchased from Carl Spanglo in Urbana, then sold to Jack Logan in Champaign, Ill. This car was powered at the time by a V8-60 but may have had an Offy at one time. Painted yellow, then may have been painted maroon later in its life. Any info or jagged memories would be greatly appreciated. JimAdamsMidget1964.jpg

JOHN EVANS, loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Speedwrench likes this.