Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Asphalt Angels Season Opener 2020!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Feb 10, 2020.

1. I was invited (well, I invited myself) to tag along to the Richmond area's first real hot rod/custom show of the year...The Asphalt Angels Show in Ashland, VA, the home of King's Dominion Theme Park.

Spent the night with my in-laws and hitched a ride to a meet-up then breakfast. After breakfast, we cruised up I-95 to the show. Here's a small part of the caravan!

And my driver for the day, none other than @D-Russ and Slutty Miss Vicky!

[​IMG]

Thanks for letting me tag along, guys!!! Had a blast!

Hopefully others can fill you in on the show content and shenanigans...

Rudy, chryslerfan55, dudley32 and 9 others like this.
  2. Great stuff, Brett! I was there for a few hours on Friday throwing some support to my friend, George, FB_IMG_1581336924253.jpg 20200207_115105.jpg 20200207_115223.jpg 20200207_115126.jpg and his recently finished '58.

3. @lothiandon1940

By far my favorite on-topic car at the show!!! That thing was gorgeous!!! Details were off the chart!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. My personal favorite racer....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Yes indeed. Loved that little HEMI powered FED. Sweet!

brett4christ likes this.
  6. That car is A W E S O M E ! It was my people's choice pick! I think they got a pretty crappy spot on the floor – did the owner win anything?

And the Lyndwood dragster above was pretty interesting. The blown and injected Hemi is backed up by a Ford banjo! I wouldn't want that sitting between my legs!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  7. .............Haven't had a chance to catch up with him to find out, Dave.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. ............I always think the same exact thing when I peer into the cockpit of one of those vintage FEDs. It would be the BIG ouch if that thing let go!:eek:

chryslerfan55 and jim snow like this.
  9. .............Just got word from another friend that he only got a "participation trophy".

10. Unfortunately, I would have guessed that. The Asphalt Angels show isn't one in which historical accuracy, era specific correctness, high design, cleanliness of execution and most of all, subtlety are rewarded. The cars that tend to win the bigger awards are the ones that are more over the top and in your face, often a hodge podge of flashy parts. Still a wonderful build, and my favorite of the show, and I'm not a custom guy at all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  11. dwollam

dwollam

Like the Hemi powered '24-'25 Dodge Brothers Coupe!

Dave

lothiandon1940 and D-Russ like this.
  12. .....Thanks, man, I'll be sure to let him know how well it was received even if the judges didn't think so.:rolleyes:...I'm sure he was disappointed.....Don.:)

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  13. Aren't most of the awards based on attendee's voting? Not, IMO, the type of person that understands the culture. AA places the "professional" car builders up front. Although excellent cars, they should be nothing less considering the source. The 58 Belair was by far my favorite, but as already mentioned, not in a favorable location.

14. .......Thanks for the kind words. I'll let him know how much the knowledgeable folks liked it.:)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Very Cool - Thanks for videos, and pics of '58, which will get it's due at another show - just enjoy the ride

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

Fun show, nice it was indoors and open until 9pm!

Favorite:

C7060FF0-F2B8-4C42-8008-261748AD3717.jpeg

17. ^^^Yeah, Loved the Blue on this 3-window.^^^:)

18. ^^^The owner had just finished this one earlier in the week! Nice guy!

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.