Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Show me your trailers and modifications!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Feb 6, 2020.

1. My trailer is covered in snow and composite deck materials right now so it wouldn't do any good to take pictures. I built my own trailer about 20 years ago (welded with car batteries, when I couldn't afford a welder). It tilts. I also made it so the fenders lift off (receiver tubing), and the rear light bar also slides out so I don't damage them. Plus in the last couple years I changed it out to a pintle hitch, and the ring on the trailer slides out of receiver tubing so I can take that off and it makes the trailer more difficult to steal. And of course a winch. Originally had a 8,000 lb sidewinder Tulsa, but recently swapped it out to a 12,000 lb warn. Now with having a rollback type truck, I don't use my car trailer much any more.

dana barlow and Old wolf like this.
  2. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My Hodge's Trailer 2.png My 96's -F350 and Hodge's Trailer.png

(Shameless plug of my Dually Truck and Lo-Profile Trailer looking to trade for HAMB Era - Car or Pickup in the Wanted section.)

Anybody want to trade ?

( car not included - been gone a long time )

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Forgot about this one I built for towing behind my Harley..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    dwollam, dan31, R A Wrench and 3 others like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here are some pictures of things my son and I incorporated on our medium size 16' trailer. I had some axles that were a little narrower than the max allowable. I had another trailer but my son wanted something to carry a couple four wheelers, so the width was fine for what he wanted. It actually ended up being really handy for everything but large vehicles.

Trailer 1x.JPG
    Trailer 2x.JPG Trailer 2x.JPG

Trailer 3x.JPG
    Trailer 4x.JPG
    Trailer 5x.JPG
    Trailer 6x.JPG
    Trailer 7x.JPG
    Boat Trailer.JPG

egads, chevy57dude and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kimmierbo, how do you guys find the time to build all this stuff? You all remind me of my Dad, he would see something and say we can build that cheaper than buying it! When “ Gooseneck “ trailers started becoming popular in out area, back about 1967 or so, we built a 24 foot version on one. The length of the trailer was decided by the size of our shop at that time! Lol. It had three axles under it! We used it on the ranch for years, then while hauling hay on it years ago , the hay caught fire and burned some of the deck, before we could push it off. My Dad said we’ll just retire the trailer! Well I said no, I took it into our new shop, ripped off all the wood, added some more reinforcements and then plated it with steel . I then repainted it, pinstriped it, put some decals on it, put some new tires on it! I looked so good my club used it in the Christmas parade that year! I surprised myself!

Then a few years ago I put a 12 ft box off of a truck on it, then built a canopy on it out of steel with a Tommy lift on it for a mobile mower repair shop . It still sits that way, down on the ranch, as I have retired now. Just another one of my trailers.

Bones

8. After breaking about eleventy million taillights I switched to flush mount LED’s never broke one of those. Also I added little amber marker lights to front out board edge of my fenders, that helps at night

E1C1CCBF-6B0D-49E3-9750-8C2EB3AE0505.jpeg

chevy57dude, blowby and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. Like everyone else I tried to make my trailer easier (on me) to use, I moved the heavy side load angle iron ramps from the side to the back under the dovetail, which made it much easier on my back, mounted the spare on the front side.
    I also mounted a winch up front, reflective marker tape on the front sides, some reflectors on the back too, since the taillights are in the fenders.
    Most recently I redecked it and treated the wood with Thompsons water seal, bought a tongue box to put the new winch, battery, straps, etc. in. The plan is to put a solar battery charger on the lid to keep the battery fresh, now I just need to figure out how to run the cable out of the box and onto the deck without tearing up the box.
    14046054_10206514786217143_5038052397994196375_n_zpskpt4jyhh.jpg

Seeing the above mentioned hand winch reminded me of a trailer a guy had they came to pick up a car I sold. It had a hand winch made out of a grain bin door opener/closer, it effortlessly pulled the first gen firebird up onto that trailer, not sure the gearing but it sure worked.

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

It just seems like any time I want something, I always try to figure how I can do it where it works better than whats available. Then I can't force myself to buy something that is not as convenient to use as what I can make myself......and I'm basically "cheap" too. I have to say that just about everything takes some work in the beginning but after I get it done, it saves me far more time and effort later. I try to put things on here and hope it makes others think about doing rather than just wishing . Recently Ziggster went thru the trials and tribulations of building his own overhead crane in his shop. He did it "his way", and now that its complete he has a big smile on his face. It takes almost no space in his shop and yet it will be there forever to help him. When I see others go from wishing to doing, I know just how they are gonna feel when they get something built that they designed and created. Its not just about cars with me, and I try to encourage people to improve their shops rather than just settle for what they have. You have had a lot of experiences too, so I know you know what I'm talking about. :D:D:D

They make some wiring pass thrus for firewalls that might be adaptable.

Algoma56 and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Ekimnierbo, I do understand the pleasure that comes with designing something in your head, then sketching it on paper, then building kinda like the sketch, because the real world is not always like the sketch! And then watching it cone together and working! I am the king of “ over building” ! Lol I made things for my Fire Dept so much the Chief almost quit buying and said, “ We’ll just let Steve build it” .... too much! But the things I built were built “ Fighterfighter Tuff” and those guys can tear up a steel ball with a rubber hammer!

Bones

Algoma56, R A Wrench and ekimneirbo like this.
  12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

No pics this evening, but I have found it helpful to have removable fenders, since the space between them on a lot of the trailers I have used is 72" (6 feet), and some larger cars have bumpers that are a little wider than that. I usually weld some tubing to the trailer for sockets, and use some 1" diameter cold-rolled stock for pins, although my buddy used re-bar on his. It sucks to drive 4 hours to find out your load is 4 inches to wide to get past the trailer fenders, extra wide wheels on 4wd pickups included. (Lol, driving on the fenders usually results in cutting them off to get home.)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. painted to match hauler. IMG_9391.JPG

das858, Hdonlybob, ekimneirbo and 3 others like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I added a full length pic of mine to my post above. You can see how full it was with that big old Lincoln sittin' on it!

Next one I build or buy will be at least 18' bed length, maybe even 20'. I hauled some 22' 2"x8" lumber on mine, I put a 6"x6" block under the rear to raise the tail end up. It rode fine, just a little bit of whip out of the overhang.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. I guess there was a little confusion, when I said cable I was referring to the winch cable, since the winch will be bolted in the bottom of the tongue box.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I put the winch inside the tool box and the fair lead outside with the box side sandwiched between the winch and fair lead. A remote really makes life easier

egads likes this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I would love to have that hauler!!!!! I'm sure it pulls a crowd wherever it stops. The color fits the hauler perfectly.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. yep, a real attention getter. bought it in North Carolina and drove it the 750 miles home pulling that load. only stopped for fuel and to rest my face from smiling too much.
    truck has some neat history. images.jpeg

6-bangertim and tractorguy like this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No problem! Just bolt a fairlead to the box! If the box itself is not strong enough to support a fairlead add bracing! I’ve seen it done that way many times. I have also seen guys mount the control plug in the box and add two push buttons on the outside of the box to control the winch.

Bones

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  20. We also have a electric winch with a provision to attach it to any receiver hitch. have a receiver bolted to the front of the trailer. or hook it to the rear of a vehicle ect.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. I never had much luck with mobile home axles. those 14.5 house trailer tires just couldn't cope with the way I use a trailer. And around here you can get a ticket for having those tires that state for mobile home use only on a utility trailer. House trailer axles brakes and tires are el cheepo designed to make one trip . That one trip is to transport them from the manufacturer to the permanent location.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. I like the removable pintle hitch idea. With a pintle hitch others aint as likely to try and borrow it! Im trailer poor. two goosenecks. for tandem axle flatbeds and a tilt top that has a 20 ft deck. Ive been thinking on a large pivioting A frame. mount to the outsides between the tires. make it where you can tilt it to the rear and it goes back to about 45 degrees. hanging over the rear like a wrecker boom. with a snatch block. That way you could run a winch cable thru it and drag anything like a engine, plow or lawnmower ect. directly under that rig. then keep winching and raise and load and over center and deposit at the front of the trailer. then load the next and so on. use a boat winche at the rear to be able to slowly lower the A frame after it over centeres

23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is my old red trailer that I constantly overloaded. When I sold it, I replaced it with a "store bought" 20' with dual 5200 lb axles rated for 9900 lbs so it didn't require a license. The beam is about 36' long. Put a wheel/tire on the dovetail to keep it level.
    Red Trailer & Harolds Tractor  1a.jpg
    Crane Beam 1.JPG
    Crane Beam 2.JPG

24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Didn't the old trailers they used for delivering septic tanks just have posts sticking up to support two crossbars and then a rail running lengthwise that bolted/welded to the crossbars and stuck a couple feet past the end of the trailer?
    Then they just hoisted the tank and moved it on and off via the trolley on the beam. Lot safer in the long run.;)

Old wolf and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. Mimilan

Mimilan

In NZ electric brakes have the same effect. Very few tow vehicles have a controller. [that's our excuse]
    But when it comes our friends or relatives, they have the cheek to try and borrow our trailer AND tow vehicle.

You should try NZ where everybody has a "thinner" interpretation of the rules [than the rule-makers intended]
    Load Rating is a conservative estimate [or overload rating]

NZer's put a hitch on everything [Mazda 323's etc]. It is common to "shin yourself" walking around a mall car park.

It is only in the last 10 years that we had to have a certified load rating on a hitch. Up until then Home built hitches were common [and usually over -engineered compared to manufactured versions]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Old wolf and Boneyard51 like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Old wolf, my tires are probably close to 50 years old! Hard as a rock! I took my grinder to the sidewall of a couple of them and ground off the “ mobile home use only” off the side. The other two say “ for lowboy use”.
    Brakes? We don’t need no stinking brakes! Had some pretty good loads on there and it would have been nice to have had some, but I made do without. I don’t act a fool when I’m towing like a lot of folks do, I take my time, keep my speed down, and leave room.

A guy down the road has some new tires, radials, already mounted and ready to go, I just haven’t bought any yet. I don’t use it much, so I can’t justify spending the money right now. Thinking I may end up buying a new 20’ later this year, need a tax write off.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. wildwest

wildwest

I have owned quite a few trailers over the years, and the last few I have had custom built. It really doesn't cost that much more, and you exactly what you want. My car trailer is 18' long, all diamond plate steel, and has 10k axles( it has to haul my excavator, tractor, and who knows what else besides just cars). I always buy flat beds without dovetails because sometimes I have to haul long stuff like metal roofing, or pallet-ized stuff, and need a flat deck. (plus I can ad sides in the stake pockets much easier) If I have to haul a low car, I just crank up the tongue jack to lessen the break-over angle. Some things I have leaned to love on my trailers:
    -All steel, no wood to rot & replace, easy to clean up oil leaks.
    -Heavy diamond plate fenders, so I can walk on them
    -Stake pockets & rub rail.
    -Removable winch, I use an older 8000 lb Warn on a bracket I built that goes in a 2" receiver so I can take it off my trailer and use it on my truck or Jeep. I made the mount with a bracket to re-locate the solenoid box to the side, so when it's on my truck, I can still fold the tailgate down.
    - Led lights & running lights, including one on the front of the fender, so I can tell if the lights are working by just looking in the mirror.All mounted flush, nothing hanging out or down on brackets to snag & get torn off.
    -heavy duty 2 5/16" bulldog style "clam shell" or "horse trailer style" hitch.
    -Lots of D ring tie downs
    -Spare tire mounted on the front of the trailer, so easy to load from both sides.
    -I make my tongues long, with a center run offset to allow the jack to be centered, no deflection when sitting on the jack loaded, expanded steel on the off side, a great place to toss some blocks. I always use swiveling or pivoting jacks, so I can still put the tailgate on the towing pickup down.
    -Ramps that pull out of the back, I hate carrying ramps around from the side to load a car! , and a lip all the way across the back so you can place them side x side or anywhare on the back, or on the rub-rail down both sides if needed for motorcycles,atvs, heavy stuff on hand trucks, etc.
    0210201157.jpg 0210201209.jpg 0210201157b.jpg

ekimneirbo likes this.
  28. wildwest

wildwest

The drop legs in the back are easily removable, I don'y use them when loading cars, just the excavator !

29. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

One of the neatest trailers I ever saw was a early 80s buick Riviera cut off behind the door and made into a sort of truck cab (very nicely done) the rest of the chassis was used as the base for a 4 wheel trailer frame. I really wish I had a picture of it. It had a 32 Ford roadster on it when I saw it. The front wheel drive was probably plenty of power for what it was used for. Neat rig for sure!! BILL

30. My car trailer lives on the street chained to a telegraph pole.
    To stop people running into it I have a 12volt battery mounted on it with a solar panel to keep it charged.
    I use an electronic sensor to turn the trailer lights on at dusk and off at dawn.
    The trailer has LED lighting so little current draw.
    So far no one has run into it.

Algoma56 likes this.