Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 pontiac tierods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gary forbes, Feb 7, 2020.

1. gary forbes

gary forbes

)Ok my bad I thought the 55 chev and Pontiac were identical, but not so. Pontiac uses kingpin front end... I was getting set to implant new tierods and discover that the inner rod is a ball and socket type fitting into the center link. As such there are no moving parts. So my question is how to tighten up the inner rod where it goes into the center link. The shop manual I have says nothing about the tierods period... I am assuming there is a big adjusting screw on the (idler arm) end of the center link that can be tightened and and ALSO ASSUMING that tightening that will also tighten socket for the ball end of inner rod and advice appreciated

2. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

If you don't like king pin suspension on a mid '50s Pontiac, buy a Canadian built. They're on Chevrolet suspension I learned that the hard way.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Rare Parts sells a center link. You can see how they're built, soft of, there is a threaded plug in the end, and some springs and ball seats inside. If the balls on the ends of the inner tie rods are worn, then you might need to find tie rods, as well.

rare.jpg

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Each end has its own adjustment