Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Hudson Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 9, 2019.

1. We all are Jim

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. And as I'm sure you're aware, getting older is better than NOT getting older. :p

3. dave plmley

dave plmley

I use a mixture of alcohol, water and vinegar, think it's better than rain-x and cheaper

OFT and osage orange like this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^ Would be helpful to know the percentages in that rain repellant mixture and also what type vinegar.

Woogeroo and OFT like this.
  5. I'm with Dave, care to share you magic potion? HRP

dirty old man likes this.
  6. pumpman

pumpman

Like a fine wine.

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Adding oil isn't too hard, have to get the flywheel in the correct position with the plug showing through the hole in the bellhousing above the starter (same hole you check ignition timing), then remove the plug, and use a long skinny funnel/tube to add oil. Of course you need to drain it first, so you don't overfill."

I bet that helped Hudson not sell a lot of cars.

bchctybob likes this.
  8. Dwardo

Dwardo

It's actually a really nice, light clutch and was probably notably better than others in the earlier years. But by 1951 there was no reason to hang on to it. I read that one of Hudson's chief designers, Bernie Siegfried, questioned this and other expensive practices like pinned pistons, and was always told that "it was a fine Hudson feature". I was always struck by how they wasted money on other things, like very expensive-looking medallions on the inside of the front doors, which varied for each model/engine combination. Nobody would have noticed if they hadn't been there. I never could see the rationale behind developing the short wheelbase cars (Wasp, Pacemaker) because they had to be nearly as expensive to build as the larger cars and had to be sold at a much cheaper price. Hudson management was really failing by that point but it wouldn't have made any difference in the long run. I'm glad we still have some of those cars around, though.

9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Jim where's the Old Hornet these days?

10. squirrel

squirrel

A fellow not far from here bought it, but I haven't seen it since he drove it away from my place.

11. Sure was great to meet and hang with you and to check out the Hudson in Wendover. :cool::cool: JW

chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  12. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

THRILLED to have found this thread last night, as I was also on a road trip in early August. Kinda sad Jim that you let the let Doc Hudson go, but you came out a WINNER. Congrats on that, and a great road trip! Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us!

Are you shopping for another gem for next year?

13. squirrel

squirrel

I think I need to get something going that's been sitting around for a while....I've been thinking about the bread truck. 55 Chevy step van. Needs a motor, seat, wiring, some brake work, etc. I got it on the HAMB in 2012.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  14. Well, that Cuda has been sitting around a while now ! :cool:

sidevalve8ba, squirrel and flatford39 like this.
  15. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

16. squirrel

squirrel

Don't worry, mine would be nothing like that.

Meanwhile, back to the Hudson....

kidcampbell71 likes this.