Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wagon Ford shoulda' built, so we did!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Jan 29, 2020.

1. F-head

F-head

Holy Mackerel what an impressive build. Hats off to Riley and crew, and thanks for taking the time to post this

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. [​IMG]

When using your pullmax for making the custom trim, is this profile achieved after making several passes? How do you keep the flat stock straight as the pullmax is forming considering the forces applied from the flat stock to the formed pcs?

3. @METAL MELTDOWN We first formed the pieces into a "hat channel" profile so the hard bends are nice & straight from forming them on the sheet metal brake. Then run them through the Pullmax slowly with the machine at a higher speed. No real pressure making multiple passes to slowly add the profile.

4. The effect of making the trim that extends from the B-pillar nice & straight we realized the tail fin slightly trailed off. The solution was re-making & extending the top of the tail fin.

IMG_3927.JPG IMG_3925.JPG IMG_3924.JPG IMG_3926.JPG

It gave it a little more pronounced look.

IMG_4203.jpg

Trim mocked up.

IMG_4207.jpg

5. The consequence of modifying the tail fin is now the upper tail light bezel deal is no buno.

Good opportunity to make something better.

IMG_4597.JPG IMG_4615.JPG IMG_4617.JPG IMG_4620.JPG IMG_4623.JPG IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4640.JPG IMG_4635.JPG IMG_6495.JPG IMG_6497.JPG IMG_6499.JPG

After having the surround plated & the new made grill fit here it is next to the original one.

58733956172__880E3DCE-C887-4C29-AD15-06F576007968.JPG

sko_ford, lewk, Outback and 53 others like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

This type of thread is the kind I would gladly sit on the couch for an hour on a Saturday and watch it on TV.

ratrodrodder, Cooon, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Those upper fin reverse light delete plates (or whatever you'd want to call them) are really incredible. They look better than the factory part.

drdave, The37Kid, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

"Our remedy, we'll just make a new fins and tail light bezels "
    This is fun seeing it all! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54delray, drdave, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Damn. Just damn. I'm speechless to the skill to do all this. And to think, most of it isn't even noticeable unless you park beside a stocker. Totally amazing!

Hnstray, 54delray, drdave and 5 others like this.
  10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I love this kind of fabrication and believe that a great custom looks like it came from the factory. It just sucks sometimes when you have to explain to people and judges what was done and they can't believe you went through all that work and nobody knows it! Beautiful work! Larry

11. ken bogren

ken bogren

Yeah, customs like this could almost have been prototypes if not production cars.

12. Love all these trim pics. Folks rarely post stuff like this.
    Need some tips like this before I attempt my chop for ideas on the stainless trim
    Keep em coming.

13. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

That trim stuff separates the men from the boys.

14. belair

belair

15. brady1929

brady1929

Wow! You have amazing skills.

16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s right, I guess the reason for this is not too many folks on this planet are capable of pulling through a build like that.

17. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Also speechless!!!

18. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

That is exactly why I came here. We Ford guys know when somethings off factory....:D
    just stunning. love it !

19. That was exactly the intention. "factory prototype"

20. We had decided that we liked the '56 Ford dash better. Scored a factory padded dash at the wrecking yard.

IMG_1608.JPG

We used a Lincoln/Mercury column to mostly use the Premier steering wheel we'd planned but also because they're good columns with a nice column shift. Allot fancier than the Fords.

column fit 3.jpg

New gauge layout.

IMG_3459.JPG
    Made up some AC side vents using black pipe & flat plate.

IMG_3934.JPG
    The center vent is from a Mopar. The metal is a pattern for a future engine turned insert. We made a small finish trim piece to finish off the bottom edge.

IMG_4403.JPG

BigO, 54delray, drdave and 19 others like this.
  21. Last trim that needed fabricated was the top corner pieces above the drip rails. We made a bondo "plug" to dial in the shape & profile we where after. Then cut out some blanks out of 1/2" stainless plate.

IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4573.JPG

Bent to the profile

IMG_4575.JPG IMG_4577.JPG

Attacked it with the grinder, sander & buffer.

Roof corner trim.JPG 100.JPG

lewk, 54delray, mgtstumpy and 25 others like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

If I had to create stainless trim, that's how I'd do it. Carved from solid bar. :) Sure it would take forever to grind and sand, but it wouldn't be mangled/destroyed in one loose grip at the buffing wheel. You guys have patience to no end!

Boneyard51, Tim, drdave and 5 others like this.
  23. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That's a lot of stainless grinding dust!!!

24. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

I like your use of the '56 dash, amazing work.
    Keep on with the posts, look forward to them.

25. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Thanks for opening my mind to custom ideas I may try to incorporate in my own car. Then there’s the ideas not even remotely possible by these hands.
    Amazing vision and skills !

26. The real truth is & I hate to admit it but allot of the custom trim parts on this car could've been cnc machined like most "high end" builds are doing now. It might've even been cheaper, faster & allot closer to perfect. Now, that being said I like the fact that these are hand made parts, by a human craftsman, in a small shop, done with old techniques. Do the parts have flaws? Sure, but I also think that it adds feel & character to the car.

27. I like the fact that these are hand made parts, by a human craftsman, in a small shop, done with old techniques.

I agree 100 percent, hand made parts by hand not a computer generated program.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

28. patsurf

patsurf

hell,those cnc guys you are talking of are going to want to scan yours for the programming!!-they are beauties..

chryslerfan55, dwollam and loudbang like this.
  29. Can this thread be pinned to the top?
    Asking for a friend.

Outback and ratrodrodder like this.