Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Texting and Hot Rod Sales

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGasser Madness, Feb 10, 2020.

1. I recently spoke to a few car buds and we all seem to agree. If you are selling a car and the interested parties only want to text back and forth without a phone call it generally is a non serious interest. Our conversation about texters and picture seekers seems to be a common thing . I usually request the inquiring party to give me a call , it is a lot easier and you can go over pictures if needed. I gather there are those who are at work and want to browse the net and look at pictures either on lunch or at their desks. I guess I'm old school and miss the days of reading the local ads and checking Hemmings , making the call and going to see the car. Nothing wrong with the convenience of sending pics and communicating through the net but our conclusion was that texters usually are not buyers. Just our opinion.

2. Hombre

Hombre

I don't sell a lot of stuff, just seems like to much of a hassel and I am not very good at selling. When the few times I do sell something I have no problem with an "Initial" text or two. Doesn't cost me anything and at least maybe it shows a little interest. What I do insist upon are those texts to be followed by a real conversation either in person or by phone. If that doesn't happen then I just forget about that guy, like I said it doesn't cost anything. Lot of looky lou's out there who I some times wonder if they are really in the market or just dreaming about being in the market.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks to the hundreds of robocalls I get on my phones (yes, I still have a land line too) I probably won’t be listing my phone number in ads anymore. I’m tired of running across the shop to answer the phone only to be told there’s been a security breach on my (nonexistent) ICloud account or the IRS will be putting a hold on my accounts unless I call the following number.
    Now I guess they’ll have to text or email me first and if I think they’re serious I’ll give them my number, I’ll have theirs, and I’ll answer. I like texting, it often keeps the BS to a minimum, short messages that will be there when I finish this weld or shut off the lathe. Sadly, the telephone has become an unwelcome intrusion.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Squablow, Gasser 57, TagMan and 10 others like this.
  4. Must be why i am seeing more “no txt “ in adds these days.

in defense of txting, it can be used as a disengaged means of acquiring more info on the selected item. If i call on an item i feel somewhat more obligated to follow through and travel to see the item/car. More often than not i will see adds that seem to purposely neglect info or pics of one side of a car. So in that case a txt will ask for more info before wasting my time traveling to see the missing/ bad side.

swade41, cactus1, jim snow and 4 others like this.

5. THIS. It's gotten so bad that if you call my cell phone from a number not in my contacts and don't leave a message, I block the number. Every damn day with these assholes.

6. My favorite is "text me the address". Sorry pal, I have what you want, write it down, I'm done.

7. Budget36

Budget36

I dunno, the past few items I bought (not on this site) for OT parts, was all text...only time I spoke with one guy was when I picked them up. Another was text only.

Never tried selling it that way, I think it's just the age we live in and how many grew up texting, not talking.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Some of you are just old cranky dinosaurs. :p

Imagine being able to accept enough technology to utilize a text and picture based hot rod forum on the Internet but on a telephone?! Blasphemy!! :eek:

I have a habit of asking for pictures so I don’t have to waste my life and money to show up and find something not as advertised. It’s called time management. :D

9. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Not a hot rod but a rather high priced sailboat. Had it listed nationally and locally with several different sources. Gave my email, cell and home phone. I estimate 95% of all inquiries were by text or email. Literally sent out 100’s of emails. It got to the point I finally came up with a generic email with pictures rather then answering individuals. I think most were not really interested but liked the idea of shopping or perhaps showing the email and pictures to friend as “something I’m thinking about buying”.

When I got phones calls it was from people who were really interested and didn’t ask stupid questions. In the end it was sold to someone who called me we talked and he made arrangements to come see the boat from several states away. From the phone call I could tell he was really interested and was serious rather then someone who just wanted to go for a test sail.

Email and texts generated a lot of weirdos and wasted a lot of time as well as stupid offers.

10. As said earlier, too many robocalls. Text and emails for me to start the process.

11. chopped

chopped

Bad cell service where I live, I have one but hardly ever use it. I've never got addicted, lucky me.

trollst and dirty old man like this.

12. If you are a buyer you are going to cross paths with Seller flakes and If you are a seller you are gonna run across Buyer flakes.
    One experience with a flake is enough and both side try to limit it to that one experience for evermore.

I prefer text to begin the process. I send or respond at my convenience and they do the same. Eventually but soon if interests continue it switches over to phone conversations that take up time.

swade41, jim snow, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  13. I prefer to text first, and get the information I need. Easy to spot the flakes and scammers by how their texts are worded. My last few cars and boats were acquired mostly through texts or emails, with a phone call when I was ready to look at the car.

swade41, bchctybob and Saxman like this.
  14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. I rather call if I´m seriously interested, but many sellers don´t provide a number anymore and want to be contacted by text or email. At least that´s what I experience over here lately. An I also came to understand why.... I tried to sell a cheap later model winter beater and got so much disrespectful and senseless calls I finally pulled the add after 3 hours.

bchctybob likes this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’d slap you but my T-Rex arms are too short

raven, Blue One, hotrodjack33 and 7 others like this.
  16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’ve found out by asking for their phone number weeds out the flakes

Blue One, bchctybob and RMONTY like this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

I list the pictures that I want to list, and if a potential buyer wants more pictures, I tell them to come look at the car, parts, item, whatever it might be, and see for themselves. I am not going to spend endless hours texting endless details and endless pictures to some looky-loo that is bored. Any serious buyer is going to get up off their ass and come see what I have listed.

As a buyer, I look at the pictures and if they catch my interest, I will inquire about where and when can I see what is listed. If you see something you like, I am of the "if you snooze, you lose!" mentality.

I am usually not in the market for extremely rare or 1 of a kind pieces, parts, or vehicles. If some thing doesn't meet my budget, standards or expectations, I will keep looking. Another one of whatever I am in search of will be listed soon enough.

18. I don't text ever..not sure if my flip phone is even capable.
    I try my best to not conform entirely to the ever evolving technology.
    As for buying, or selling cars/parts, my assessment of the other party starts with the phone conversation. My judgement from the conversation with the other party dictates if I'm going to pursue it any farther.
    I have become "not available" as a seller based on phone calls ( it's never a must sell situation), simply not worth it for me.
    I trust my own first impressions/judgements thru actual conversations foremost..never has let me down.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Whether it's an actual phone call or a text, if your not buying and the only reason is because you don't want to mow the yard then you're wasting the sellers time.

20. In can see where texting could be bitch with those also. :)

raven, Blue One, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  21. Exactly! As a buyer or seller I prefer to open the conversation by text. Kind of gives you the lay of the land without initially getting tied up in a conversation with someone who could just be a nut. If you’re a seller that states “no texts” that tells me something. My thinking is if you’re unwilling to engage in the most convenient and common form of modern communication methods and alienate half of your potential buyers then you are most likely not that interested in selling or you’re a fast talking salesman type that wants to get me on the phone to try to hard sell me. I probably won’t bother to call, unless you state in your ad, “I’m old and don’t know how to do the texting thing, so please call me on the phone”, then I might.

In fact, with most purchases I make, ALL the communication is by text until I arrive in person to look at the item. The advantages of text are:

1. You kind of get a chance to pre-screen the buyer/seller to get a feel for who you’re dealing with.
    2. Both parties can answer/communicate at their convenience.
    3. There is a record of the communication that you can look back on.
    4. It gives me time to consider what the other party has said and make non-rushed decisions based on that. I’m kind of a slow thinker who likes to turn things over in my head for a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I use a land line on ads. had a guy tell me he texted me and I never responded. he seemed irritated when I told him he had not.

jim snow, chopped and bchctybob like this.
  23. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

A few years ago I said that I'd never text and guess what, I text all the time now. It's easy to send pics and communicate without actually calling someone. My wife uses it like a intercom when I'm in the shop.

Saxman, swade41, Gasser 57 and 3 others like this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

I usually cooperate with potential buyers if they want additional photos, even to the point of taking more. I live 35 miles off the main highway so I'm thankful for the technology that saves me a long drive or wasted time waiting for someone to show. But technology can be a double edged sword. I texted and talked on the phone to a buyer last year and he wanted to come look at the car right away. That's great but I had to take my Mom to the dentist so I said how about two hours from now. They (3 of them) showed up while I was gone and only my young daughter was home. He said insulting things about the car and left. She was scared and I was pissed. I called him and told him so, not that he cared. Turns out that with CL once you put a location, it can auto-populate that location in ads in the future so you have to look at that when you edit your new ad. I will never put a location in a classified ad of any kind.
    I've met some great car people through selling &buying stuff, I've also run into a few real a-holes. So far the good ones way outnumber the bad ones.

jim snow and wicarnut like this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

CL has gotten crappy in my opinion. Get a few “is it still available “ or “ what’s the lowest you’ll take “ So now I ask for their phone #.....shuts em up.

bchctybob likes this.
  26. There's 2 sides to this, the yes I do or the get away from me side. We should never forget that it takes effort and some times money to sell something. Never forget: if you make it difficult for people to give you money, they won't. That being said, I'm not a texter. My last hot rod was sold entirely by email 2 months ago. I tried to be the most honest seller, the buyer had ever met. There were videos and complete descriptions of the vehicle sent.

27. ken bogren

ken bogren

Some of you guys should consider just saying in your ads " send a full price check to PO BOX 000, when it clears I'll tell you where the car is" :)

alanp561, swade41, Squablow and 3 others like this.
  28. I don't text, talking on the phone works well for me.

I don't mind sending e-mails with photo's and I try to give complete information in the advertisement. HRP

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    jim snow, chopped, trollst and 4 others like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Interesting look at the iPhone world, thanks. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. When I run an ad nowadays, I don't list a phone number or address. Cuts down on bullshit.

Question? What's texting? How do you do it on a rotary phone?