Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Sweet Heart Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by IronTrap, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Appropriately Christened and digging the whole way that you’re making this happen, Can’t convey the feelings about the shop/spread, awesome isn’t appropriate to say as shops just kinda have a way of making a kool build that much nicer.....

2. Sounds like the wheels are turning and ideas are being conjured up Matt. The chrome removable fire wall is a cool plan. I anybody can pull it off it has to be you. The fire wall on my drag coupe is polished aluminum and removable. It does have fasteners showing, but hell, its an old race car.;)

3. Got to see Matt's garage and it blew me away with all the cool stuff in there ! It's what a rodder dreams of , this guy is for real when us old guys are gone Matt will be telling our stories !

4. Yep, Matt is the real deal. Very good instructor-teacher as well. He explains what he is doing very well and always has tips and tricks to share. A true no nonsense hot rod guy.

5. jim snow

jim snow

Well spoken and true jmho. Snowman

kidcampbell71, mad mikey and prpmmp like this.
  6. prpmmp

prpmmp

HAMBster thru and thru!! Look up definition HAMB in the dictionary and you see Matts face!! Pete

kidcampbell71, jim snow and mad mikey like this.
  7. AHotRod

AHotRod

I follow you on Facebook and Instagram Matt, and I to are glad to see you sharing this build here on the HAMB. It is great that you live in an area of the country still rich with old parts and Hot Rod guys, here in Florida there is no old tin unless it was hauled in and they want a fortune for it.
    Keep the faith, I rooting for you!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. IronTrap

IronTrap

Spent some time yesterday and drilled all of the spot welds out of the 32 firewall flange and feet and trimmed the corners of the firewall to match the shape of the Model A cowl. I also had to trim the firewall feet and braces off of the subrails to slide the 32 firewall back in. I also trimmed almost half of the Model A cowl flange off to reduce the overhang over the firewall. I may trim it back even a little more. I'd like to try and make the cowl bolt-in like a stock affair if possible. I need to weld new flanges back on the 32 firewall in the sides and corners to match the new radius next and then work on how it will bolt in. Either way I figured I'd share some sneak peak photos ahead of the video here. I'm really excited for this part of the project. Been thinking about it for years!

32-testfit.jpg 32-testfit-2.jpg 32-testfit-3.jpg 32-testfit-4.jpg

OFT, Squablow, Shadow Creek and 11 others like this.
  9. Perfect. Watched the video, really good. Thanks Matt.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and jim snow like this.
  10. 43willys

43willys

First, I love the videos try to watch every one and give you a like. Seeing your channel and having another buddy our age buy a A coupe gave me the courage to look and buy a 36 ford sedan. Just wanted to let you know how much of a impact your videos make, and how much they are doing for the hobby. Cant wait to see this car be completed

11. IronTrap

IronTrap

Man that's some deep shit! I really appreciate comments and messages like this. It definitely makes me feel like what we're doing is more than just documenting the stories of saving old cars. I appreciate it!!

Video dropped today. You can watch it here:

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to watching the video, looks great in the photos!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Well done. I was not aware the model A and 32 firewalls were that close in shape. Going to fit nice.

loudbang, jim snow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Great job, really like watching all your youtube videos very informative. Love the projects and the finds and the treasure hunts. Me and the family are old car and truck crazy. Alot of times just like to get out and look for something new. (Old)
    Awesome garage to. Keep up the good work. Thank.
    Jimmy

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I had doubts about that '32 firewall, but it looks good on that body.
    Keep up the good work!

16. IronTrap

IronTrap

Working on moving things around to squeeze the Caddy engine in with the factory fan and a stock 32 radiator and grill. I trimmed the bottom edge and "recess" off the center of the 32 firewall and we're in business. I need to just adjust the firewall a tiny bit more to get it sitting straight up and down but I'm happy with how it's all sitting for now. I'm going to move the motor mount brackets back accordingly this weekend and reconnect my trans mount cradle; but we're darn close!

There's something so satisfying about making so many different parts all fit together and look stock-ish. I need to figure out firewall feet after the engine is bolted back in. I'd love to section the stock feet but they're a little crusty and I may have less time into making new feet that are a bit more simplified. I'll let the car tell me what it wants when we get to that point.

P.S.- The engine will sit a tiny bit higher once I fit the motor mount biscuits back in and that should get the fan closer to centered in the radiator and more clearance from the front cross member. Just was a good stopping point at the end of the night.

engine_test_fit1.jpg engine_test_fit2.jpg engine_test_fit3.jpg

OFT, guitarguy, Jet96 and 10 others like this.
  17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Been following your build on YouTube. This will be a cool Hot Rod, when finished. Great engine choice......I'm putting a 331 Caddy in my 34 Chevy, although, I now have a 390 to replace it.

L. Caddy V8 3.jpg 4.jpg

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your YouTube channel is a 'must watch' every Tuesday, Friday & Sunday afternoons, for me !! Thanks for letting me ride along, even if it's just through your camera.

19. Drylake

Drylake

Looking good! Your youtube channel has been a great source of information for me. I can also live precariously through your builds when I'm short of cash or energy for mine:).

20. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been slowly working on dialing in the firewall fitment. I know there's possibly quicker ways to do this swap but I wanted to try and leave as much of the original "shape" of the 32 firewall intact. I trimmed the cowl lip back to just in front of the factory weld seam where the gas tank was joined. This leaves just enough room to put a pan head screw. I plan to weld a very small lip on the outside edge of the cowl to give it a finished look. Thinking possibly a 1/8" piece of round part that I can blend in; but I'll wait until I'm a little further along on the project to tackle that.

I'll be making new bottom lips and "pockets" for the firewall where the Caddy came in contact eventually as well. I also got some simple firewall feet made up out of 1/8" steel. They utilize the original firewall feet mounting holes and should disappear once painted. My next plan of attack is to smooth out the top of cowl where the dash/windshield meet. I want to do some sort of "different" windshield setup but I can't decide yet. All I know is I want to smooth the cowl out up top and get rid of factory stanchion mounts.

I'm still looking for an affordable "junk" or botched up low-rise aluminum Caddy intake I can cut up to make a blower manifold out of if anyone knows of any!

Some quick photos.
    firewall-foot.jpg lip-trimmed1.jpg liptrimmed-2.jpg

21. Drylake

Drylake

Sweet heart Roadster is coming along well! You'll have to put up some footage of the "free T" cruising around? Not sure you've posted the victory moment of dialing that sweet engine in yet on your channel?

IronTrap likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

it’s winter ;) they said they’d post some free t cruising etc when it’s roadster weather again

23. IronTrap

IronTrap

Yep! I've been buttoning up some little stuff over the winter on the T. I am sending the gauges away to have a capillary tube installed and a speedo cable made this week actually I and need to tune the engine in once winter comes. Believe me once we get it all tuned in and "done-done" we will get some video of cruising it. Just trying to juggle winter, producing content, and chasing parts 24-7 haha. I wanna drive it more than you want to see the videos!

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I watched the newest Sweet heart roadster video from Youtube. Cool stuff like always!
    I was wondering what that rattle can stuff was, that you used on marking the firewall cutting line?
    I have tried to find that kind of product, but so far its been a wild goose chase.

loudbang likes this.
  25. cpldale

cpldale
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Naples, FL

That's machinist layout dye or Prussian blue. It's also sometimes called Dykem. Hope this helps.

mad mikey, loudbang and Tim like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ ding ding ding

27. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Thanks for posting! I also watch your vids and really enjoy them. Fun and informative!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    It helps, just need to find an aerosol version of that stuff. I think its more practical when using it on sheetmetal than the brushing stuff.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. @Finnrodder

Hey brother. Its layout fluid or machinist dye. CRC, Dykem, Osbourne, Seymour, Starrett, Grainger, and many other manufacturers make it in a aerosol can.

I know you're in Finland .. but look up "aerosol layout fluid" in your neck of the woods and see what you find. It would have be available over there.

I know Grainger in Canada stocks it .. and may be cheaper to purchase & ship than USA Graingers. Amazon US stocks it also. Did not check Amazon UK or EU.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    I'll check those out. I think i'll find them from some european ebay, i guess thats the easier way. One choice could be buying it from US or Canada, but i think buying chemicals from overseas could be a pain in the ass.

chryslerfan55 likes this.