Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Shoebox...New Build thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by critchdizzle, Oct 11, 2018.

1. A couple of weeks ago, I faced a conundrum. A moral quandary, if you will. Should I attempt to continue with the '50 shoebox that I have, or find a different car? My skills are nowhere near those required to fix it up, and I had willingly let life get in the way of doing anything to it, because I just simply didn't know where to pick up. Here are a couple of representative pictures:
    [​IMG]

(yes that's fiberglass and bondo instead of metal in the rockers, and it's the whole rocker on both sides not just this section)

[​IMG]

That's daylight through the back floorboard, and also the lower B-pillars were trash (and they DON'T make those at EMS). You can also see more of how bad the rockers are.

When I bought this car, it had been a parts car out in a guy's pasture, and slowly I came to the realization that there was a reason it was a parts car, and that the fixes would require more fab skills than I have. So, I began a search for a different car, any car, that would be better than this. I even started looking at Corvairs and VW Type 3's, just to have something different. Finally, I decided all of the shoebox knowledge I'd gathered over the past few years would be a shame to waste, and I started looking for a better shoebox project. Lo and behold, I found this '51 on Craigslist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friends and neighbors, it's in SO much better shape. So I made a deal with Chris Whittington at Shoebox Central for my old one. He came and got it on Friday, and I went and got the '51 last Saturday. I don't have any better pictures yet, but I've actually been making myself work on it and get parts and everything for it. There's a few rust holes but most of the body work that needs done is simple. I'll post more pictures tonight.

Here's my plan, in the rough order of execution:
    • Wiring (planning a Rebel Wire kit)
    • Brakes (not sure what I want to do here just yet, whether convert to discs or stick with drums)
    • Aerostar springs (already bought)
    • Engine and transmission - Plan is a 289 and AOD (Already bought the SBF conversion kit)
    Once I get to this point, I may just drive it for a while, assuming nothing else comes up. I feel like I'll be able to enjoy it more once it's somewhat on the road, even if unfinished.

2. Here's a better side picture, sorry for the crappy lighting:
    49A4442B-6677-4274-B20A-830AADFB5FFD.jpeg
    And here's a close-up of really the only bad rust spot on it:

image.jpg

Overall, pretty good shape.

3. brady1929

brady1929

Good luck with your project.

4. Got an engine! It's a 5.0 out of an '89 Mustang that's already been converted to a carb setup. Came with an AOD as well. Already have the mounts, just have to get it in there.

1A7FB2DE-3E9A-4ACF-9CE2-1A40B0237311.jpeg

slim38 likes this.

5. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Very nice. Should be a good driver when you get it running. I’m picking up a 51 shoebox myself this weekend.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My '51 was crushed by a tree. Acquired a '50 out of Kentucky, did some shucking and jiving...been on the road for 7 years now!
    Great project you have there.

7. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good, keep at it! I've got the same car and recently finished up a similar project- 302/AOD plus replaced the rear end with a 8.8 out of a Ranger with 3.55 gears. If you need a rear end, You'll want to get one out of a '91 or '92 Ranger- it is the same width as your original unit.
    The rust isn't unusually bad, that is an easy fix- when you need to, you can fix body problems after it is on the road.

8. Yeah, this one is in good enough shape that I don't necessarily have to repair the rust first thing, unlike my old one. Thanks for the info on the Ranger rear end, I'd wondered if there was a particular year to use. I'm on the fence about the stock rear end still, I know I'm going to have to get a new driveshaft so I'm leaning towards replacing the rear now rather than have to get the driveshaft redone if I do it later.

9. Well, it's been a minute. I finally (after almost a year and a half) made some progress on the shoebox. It's slow going, but I've got enough irons in the fire as it is. It'll get done when it gets done.

Got the visor off (PM me if you're interested)

IMG_0160(1).JPG

Still can't believe what good shape this thing is in:

IMG_0159(1).JPG

Now I'm working on removing the windsplits, anyone have any tips? I've removed the 3 nuts on the inside of the trunk but I can't figure out what else needs to come off to remove them, and the green bible doesn't seem to have anything on it. IMG_0157(1).JPG

10. 62rebel

62rebel

They are probably just stuck in the paint. Putty knife under the edge ought to have them off. Not connected to the taillight housing at all iirc. Nice ride!

11. Thanks! I got one off last night, I took the taillight housing off just to be sure, used a putty knife to pry here and there and it came right off. I'll get the other one tonight. I'm honestly on the fence about keeping them on, the plan is to have scallops on the side instead of trim and I don't think the chrome windsplits would look good with that.

12. 62rebel

62rebel

I never liked the splits on 51s, just too much chrome. Weld up the holes and install 49-50 taillight bodies.

13. That's what I'm leaning toward as well, I agree with you it's just too much.