Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fenton intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WTF really, Feb 9, 2020.

1. WTF really

WTF really

I got a Fenton intake yesterday. It has a bracket on the front. Is this something rare? What's the bracket for? I have seen these intakes before but not the bracket. 20200209_150757.jpg 20200209_150741.jpg 20200209_150730.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Generator and yes that bracket is super rare!

WTF really likes this.
  3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I know @Boden was looking for one for awhile

4. Looks a little different than mine too

Attached Files:

5. WTF really

WTF really

Yes this one is two pieces. Love the fuel block

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup @Boden was looking real hard for one of those and couldn't find one. I don't know what he ended up doing. maybe send him a pm if you don't need it

WTF really likes this.
  7. WTF really

WTF really

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

see. there obviously isn't enough room for a generator there because of the wide carb spacing. which is why that manifold is made without a generator mount. trouble is that some cars mounted the cooling fan there, so that bracket is the only way....

9. WTF really

WTF really

That makes since I've just never seen one of these brackets so wasn't sure if it was a rare piece

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on your find. Did you and Bill have a good time? And, did you bring back anything else worth having?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. WTF really

WTF really

Hi Alan. Yes I got some valve covers for my Cadillac engine and Bill got a snap on tool box and a sweet 3 deuce cab set up for a small block chevy.

12. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

That bracket you have is a Weiand generator bracket, made for mounting the generator in the stock front position on aluminum aftermarket intake manifolds. Phil Weiand started making these after the war but few were made and that would account for their rarity. These brackets probably didn't sell all that well, so not that many were ever made. These brackets are very hard to find indeed!!

I also see that your Fenton intake has been altered for use on an engine.All Fenton intake manifolds of this type had a cast in generator mount.The existing cast in generator mount on your intake has been ground off and then replaced with the aftermarket Weiand generator mount. Aaron Fenton used to melt down scrap aluminum parts, pots and pans, and whatever was available to cast his intake manifolds and heads. It looks like there was a batch of poorer quality aluminum used to cast this particular intake and the generator mount on your intake had likely broken off. Rather than weld the broken piece back on, the remaining generator mount was ground off and the Weiand mount was then placed on top, for continued usage.

stanlow69, LOU WELLS and town sedan like this.
  13. WTF really

WTF really

Wow that is very informative. Thank you so much. What would be a fare value of this piece?

14. A smart individual might consider using that part for a mold and producing a couple dozen of them.

15. rustythumb

rustythumb

isn't that part meant for the fan on '42-'48's?

RICH B likes this.
  16. 42merc

42merc

BINGO - A WINNER.
    This is NOT a generator mount.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    WTF really likes this.