Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This Roadster followed me home...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JunkCarJesus, Jan 27, 2020.

1. bangerbob

bangerbob

camcrusher, Hank56, OFT and 3 others like this.
  2. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

1/10/20

IT'S ALIVE!!!
    Sorta... after getting the timing set correctly and cleaning the carb I got it to fire up. But it dies after about 20-30 seconds. The gasket completely fell apart when I pulled the top off the bowl. I made a new gasket but after hours of trying to get it to run (killed 3 batteries) I said the heck with it and ordered a Tillotson.

I spent about 30 minutes trying to post a video of it running but I just can't figure it out.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  3. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Looks like a very solid start to a fun and great project. Seems like it wasnt cursed at all.
    Have fun and keep the pics. Coming.

4. Sisco Kid

Sisco Kid

You just never know what moves us to do certain things, but when the times is right the time was right. Luck was smiling on you.

5. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

1/12/20
    Since I can't really do anything while I'm waiting on the carburetor I might as well try to make it look like a hot rod. Off with the fenders! 20200119_163516.jpg 20200119_162543.jpg 20200119_163539.jpg 20200119_163516.jpg 20200119_162543.jpg 20200119_163539.jpg

Jeff34, brEad, charleyw and 12 others like this.
  6. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

That’s right, no hot rod ever had fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OFT likes this.
  7. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

JunkCarJesus and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. LOL

kidcampbell71 and Baumi like this.
  9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

That is a nice little '30-'31 roadster for being back east..........I had one from Western Kansas and it needed patches all around but was a fun little car as a stocker.

Push start Lakester.jpg
    Salty Roadster.jpg

10. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great little roadster! It was meant to be yours!

40two, JunkCarJesus and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just upload it to youtube and post the link. :)

Tim likes this.
  12. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

That's right! Fenders make the car look like some billet job from the 90s :eek:

Fenderless hi-boy roadsters (Model As really) look best! What parts do you need still?

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's a solid looking rumble seat roadster! Some jealousy here, but it's just 'Capacity Envy'...my 6 foot frame is a tight fit in my '27 T!

14. ghalperin

ghalperin

I also used the cross shaft levers to hold my front plate.
    5A073BDF-3270-48DA-97A5-72537AE52C52.jpeg

15. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

1/24/20
    Carb finally showed up in the mail. It's a completely rebuilt Tillotson and is supposed to be tested and ready to go. Now I just need to find time to throw this sucker on there and hopefully go for a test drive!

Attached Files:

16. AmishMike

AmishMike

Put on gas line filter to catch junk. Check gas tank for junk. Be sure fresh gas to carb. Hook up low pressure gas pump to can fresh gas. Spark plugs any good? Looks like great find, have fun

JunkCarJesus likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks great man, and as mentioned your gonna have to YouTube and link the video.

JunkCarJesus likes this.
  18. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

Like it just the way it is

JunkCarJesus likes this.
  19. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

Here's the video of the first time I got it to fire up. 1/10/20

20. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

Me too

21. Oh yeah! that video made my day. Neat car.

JunkCarJesus likes this.
  22. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

Here's a test drive attempt. It seems to idle fine, but as soon as I drive it, it dies after 30 seconds. Tops. It has a new carburetor on it (rebuilt) that was supposed to be tested on a running model A. It has new plugs, I set the timing, the points to .020, and the rotor gap to .025 on every pick-up inside the distributor body. I can't figure out what's going on for the life of me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll post a video of it idling in just a few.

23. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

Here it is idling. I had the throttle lever pulled down a little too far. It will stay running as long as it's sitting, but as soon as I try to drive it it goes from running like a new car to just completely dying.

Jeff34 likes this.
  24. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Mine did the same .i had rust flakes in the gas tank petcock clogging it up.would idle and get up to speed then run ou t of gas flow.maybe check yours

JunkCarJesus likes this.
  25. sdroadster

sdroadster

Check for restricted fuel flow out of the tank.

Colonial Coupe and JunkCarJesus like this.
  26. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

I checked that and it has plenty of gas flowing from the tank. It almost acts like the float level is set wrong but this carburetor was supposed to have ran fine on a different Model A.

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Maybe try a soda bottle with a rubber hose tightly jammed into a hole drilled in the cap...vent hole in the bottle...
    wire it upside down to the tank mounting flange as a test...
    my brother drove and I rode the running board bracket and frame top holding the bottle...
    the higher you hold it the more gas blows through the carb... you can increase the fuel pressure by holding/wiring it further above the carb...

JunkCarJesus likes this.
  28. dwollam

dwollam

Do you have the choke/GAV adjuster rod hooked up? How far out do you have it turned open? Once warm, 1/4 to 1/2 open. Maybe 3/4 open on cold start up. I agree, sounds like it is starving for fuel.

Dave

JunkCarJesus likes this.
  29. JunkCarJesus

JunkCarJesus

I don't have a GAV. I tried tying the enricher up a little with a wire but I don't know if it made a difference.

30. dwollam

dwollam

Tillitson carbs have a GAV. To adjust it, screw it in by hand til it bottoms out. back it of about a half turn. When you pull up on that same valve it closes the choke butterfly. You should see a "flat" on the end of that with a notch. That is the GAV. Without something to keep it from turning the mixture will change. Search on a Model A site for how to set idle mixture and the GAV and the timing. Zenith carbs were original, Tillitsons are after market but many think they deliver a bit more power. I run them myself.

Post a good pic of the carb.

Dave

kidcampbell71 likes this.