Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I-40 abandoned dragstrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptoprat, Jan 10, 2018.

1. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

Almost 5 years ago I was traveling with a carnival to set up for Mardis Gras and as we were traveling down I-40 I remember seeing through the trees what looked to be an abandoned dragstrip. There was a building that looked to be a timing tower and a long strip of pavement with trees growing through it. I was wondering if anyone on here would know of this or have any information on it. It very well could have been something else and my imagination of finding and old dragstrip took off on its own. I looked on our way back but as it goes didn’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

I 40 is a long road.... What town was it near in what state?

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

South of Nashville. Sorry meant to put that in there

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Airports and dragstrips, pretty much the same thing.......
    near what exit, town? hint?

5. 63Compact

63Compact

Don't worry about the dragstrip, I wanna know more about travelling to Mardi gras with carnie folk!

6. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

It’s near the Harpeth River state park near Nashville Tennessee. I found it on google maps. Even looks to be an old circle track closer to the road. Like I say could be the imagination at 75 mph hoping to have found an abandoned track but curiosity has had me wondering for a long time now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

Mardis Gras was a real good time! My dad and I are on the fair board at our local county fair and the owner of the carnival offered me a job while we were planning the 2013 fair. So I took the opportunity and ran with it. I operated the ride called the Freak Out which was a blast. I will say the carnie folk are some real good people and a tight nit group. Being on the fair board I knew most of the guys that work for the carnival so that added to it being a good time. This particular Mardi Gras was in Lafayette so it was a little more family friendly. Lol. I was going to continue traveling that winter since at the time I was working on a farm and we had no work at the time. While i was down there I received a call from Chrysler so I figured I should head home and take that opportunity. Still miss those carnie days tho and get to relive them one week out of the year as I have my entire life since I grew up with my dad being on the fair board.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks like an overgrown dirt track there also. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

When I was looking for ^^^THIS^^^ track yesterday, I found another along I-40 when I saw a Drag Strip Road, and then found a long swath of clearcut that looked like an old drag strip, but then I could't find it again. Maybe someone else will have better luck?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and choptoprat like this.
  9. I spent time at Fort Campbell Kentucky early in 1969 and went to a drag strip not far from the base. I thought the name of the track was Montgomery County Dragway??.

Ive asked for years if anyone remembered the track, nobody did. The photo above may be that track.

10. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

I found some info on the track I had seen and found the track you saw 56sedandelivery. The track I had seen was River Side drag strip and the one farther west is the old Super Dragway. Both tracks closed in the early to mid 80s. I had found this info on another forum when I searched google for the Super Dragway. I also screenshot the Super drag way on the maps. [​IMG]

11. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Flathead Dave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. atch

atch

As wingedexpress said, Clarksville Speedway, which is in Montgomery County, TN, is just a few miles from Fort Campbell.

upload_2018-1-11_21-40-29.png

upload_2018-1-11_21-41-16.png

13. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Several years ago (+20) ran at Riverside Raceway, located on the West side of Nashville TN on I-40. It can still be seen from the interstate but is in bad shape. Lot of fond memories running by 70 big block SS396 in the quick 16. Got fed up running against sand baggers so stopped going before the track closed.

choptoprat likes this.
  14. Francis Ofner

Francis Ofner

Hey, I know I'm a little late to the party here but I made this account to say thanks for bringing this up! I remembered my mother saying something about this when I was younger so I did some digging, found this forum, and asked her about it. Turns out that my grandfather owned the Riverside strip back when it was running. Anyway just thought I'd pop in and say that.

15. Yep,,,it’s the old Riverside track,,,it’s been sitting there a long time .
    I think it is closer to 30 years it’s been closed ?

Tommy

16. dan31

dan31

Another one off of I40 in Crossville ,Tn. closed last year, sad.

17. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Not so, reopened, in fact racing today.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. dan31

dan31

That's awesome! , a new owner?.

19. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Yes new owner took it over and they raced regularly last year and were racing today.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.