Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Could of cried 34 3w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39WILLZ, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Nice job! I was going to ask about that floor pan.

ffr1222k and 39WILLZ like this.
  2. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Hi Wayne, this wouldn't be the donor for the original floor pan I purchased from you would it? If it is it is going to be used to sort the heavily channeled '34 5w I purchased from 31Vicky with a hemi - circles and convergence!

3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I could work at 1/10th of this pace! :) Exhausted just looking at the pics!

Chris

39WILLZ likes this.
  4. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

I don't feel bad for you any longer :D

49ratfink likes this.
  5. Sorry you got burned on the purchase, but I am glad to see you are taking good care of it. What you have done so far looks great!

53 effie and 39WILLZ like this.
  6. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks dude ,,,, I'm building it for my wife and it's costing her big time,,,,,,,,

Cosmo49, 53 effie and 49ratfink like this.
  7. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks dude,,,,,,One of my fav part of a build is the floors.

8. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg Tudor I'm building for a mate...
    I had another from a Tudor not sure what one you ended up with, did it have twin battery holes ? Very small world with live in ay ,,,,,

Cosmo49 likes this.
  9. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Chris I ain't got any friends over here so I just work,,,,

10. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey thanks very much I'm really enjoying now,,,,

Cosmo49 likes this.
  11. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg image.jpg Decided to replace wood with steel in the B/posts and above door openings to stiffen everything up as I'm into now for the long haul.
    L/H side made now just need to install it. I've welded 6mm plates inside to drill and tap for hinges.
    I see some people leave the 3rd hinge of the top of the door on chopped cars just wondering how this works with the wait of the door, I'm thinking leave it on, just the spacing between them looks odd.
    Anyone done this and results,,,,,,,

cactus1, Cosmo49, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. redoxide

redoxide

I know all to well how you feel when you find out what a pile of crap dishonest sellers shift on for serious wedge . Thing is, if they said, "look bud, it looks good but its heaving with bondo and there is plenty of evidence of bad repairs " you would probably still have bought it but at least in the knowledge it was as rough as boars shite.. Its not resigned to stuff from the state though. I bought a 50s yank tank from a tader in the UK. pics looked good and I asked all the usual questions.. I was told it drove nice and had no acident damage ( in reply to a direct question about accident damage) I went ahead and done the deal, car srrived on the transporter and before I even took it off it was pretty obvious it had been hit in area of the A post and badly repaired. :( not to mention the basterdised made up conti kit, an interior so brittle it burst as soon as you sat on it, the cracked screen burst exhaust and a tendency for it to dart across the road without warning and running on 6 cylinders ..lol.. I can laugh now.. It was a few years ago. I paid £7500 for it, managed to get it in the drive and when I calmed down I called around the 50s yank dealers, gave them a full honest and detailed run down on the piece of shit and sold it to well known london dealers for £2500.. basically its true value for restoration or parts .. I learned from that one , Defo put me off 50s yanks..lol.. On the upside and in contrast, I bought a 30 coupe from a hot rodder in Bristol ( another Willys builder) That car was 110% ,solid as a rock and better than described .. Genuine fella not just interested in making a fast buck ( thanks Carl )

Back to your purchase, with your skill and ability you will nail this build to your usual high standard and it will be a cracker .

When I done the shell on Brian Watsons 33 it was pretty much the same state as yours .. really bad work burried under thick filler. It come out nice though.. Unfortunately ive deleted the picture files .. had a clear out of jobs I would prefer to forget lol.. Im not doing this stuff anymore, decided to concentrate on my own stuff and get back on the road :)

also attached a pic of one of my abandoned 36 3 window project that you made a fantastic job of completing , I know you had a shed load of work to do on that, even after I exhausted my efforts. If there is one project I ever regret selling its that one .. I think its in Finland now .. and considering it was mostly rust its a testemony to your skills that it got back on the road .. :)

1936 Ford 5 window Coupe - For Sale - RodCityGarage (15).jpg IMG_2506.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Looked pretty good in primer. I wonder if it was a sedan conversion? They’re a lot of work, but look pretty nice when done right.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

39WILLZ likes this.
  14. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Ian great to hear from ya dude, thanks for the nice words that 36 was a great save by you and as you say finished off by myself, great piece of team work and reckon it looked kooooool in the end.
    Bryan's looks great too.
    How's you getting on with your A,,,,,,

15. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Reckon you hit the nail on the head there, hopefully look great in the end....

16. redoxide

redoxide

Im not wanting to dilute your thread Wayne, but to answer your question, I admit I just stashed the coupe I bought from Carl. It was a good solid original car , somehow I felt perhaps it was to good to chop up .. So I bought a rough shell, something that might have otherwise been cut up for scrap. It was cheap though, commensurate with its condition.. Plan wasn't to make it pretty, just make it usable.. Compared to 34 3 windows, model As are ten a penny rough ones are even more common :) .. Blue coupe is the one I bought off Carl. All I done to that was adjust the brakes, drop it a wee bit drove it for a couple of weeks then parked it up to wait its turn some time in the future .. Got one to do for a buddy ( the black one in the corner of one of the pics) and a 29 roadster that come up out of the blue .. That one will be in a container in the next couple of weeks .. We just cant help ourselves lol. IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_9461.PNG DSCF6500.JPG

39WILLZ and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Smokeshow

Smokeshow

This is amazing! Given the rough conditions of the car and the misrepresentation of it when it was bought! Sorry you got took but at least you know it will be done right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. Mike

Mike

It's bad, but I've seen guys start with much worse.

39WILLZ likes this.
  19. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Ian you got a nice pair of A,s there dude still remember your old one back in the 90s the beige one cool car

bobbooth likes this.
  20. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks very much, be slow but I'll get there in the end.

21. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Worst thing about it is digging all the bad work out before I can start repairs.

22. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Was hoping to get a little luck with the doors but turns out they've been hit with the bodging stick too.
    Baffles me that some people just have no pride in there work, the left door was full of bondo, fibre glass and what looks like roofing tar to cover up the bodge.
    It was easier to cut out all the crap and start again with new metal.
    Was hoping to repair the skin but was to bad so had ago at wheeling up a new one first time I've had ago at one this big and as much shape as a 34, took awhile but gott there just need a little trim and fitting to door now.

23. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

I need R and L door catches and R and L window regulators for my 34 3w as regulators are missing and door catches have no internals.
    If anyone can help please let me know many thanks Wayne

24. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Been working on LH door and rear quarter and door shut area, next is finish top of door

Hotrodderman, Baumi, cactus1 and 6 others like this.
  25. redoxide

redoxide

Great job on the door skins and rear quarter repairs Wayne . Your nailing this. I guess you have the bit between your teeth :) Looking forward to more updates . These type of posts are inspiring.

39WILLZ likes this.
  26. "I see some people leave the 3rd hinge of the top of the door on chopped cars just wondering how this works with the wait of the door, I'm thinking leave it on, just the spacing between them looks odd.
    Anyone done this and results,,,,,,,"
    I deleted the top hinge on my 5 window. Didn't care for the look. To be honest, I don't have regulators or glass in the doors so they're lighter than original but so far I have no problems with sagging doors or worn hinges. 34falleaves10_18.jpg

53 effie and 39WILLZ like this.
  27. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Ian thanks very much for the positives mate, yes I'm on a mission now don't want to stop on it encase I loose my mojo. Take it easy dude,,,,,,

28. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Thanks for the info on the hinges, did decide to go with the top one in the end just in case,
    You have a very koooool 5w love the louvred deck lid and the side panels are they Chevy vents ? Stance is spot on

29. Thanks.......hood sides are 34 chevy master. [Master has the little stainless moldings on each louver].

39WILLZ likes this.
  30. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Trad V8 said:
    Hi Wayne, this wouldn't be the donor for the original floor pan I purchased from you would it? If it is it is going to be used to sort the heavily channeled '34 5w I purchased from 31Vicky with a hemi - circles and convergence!

I had another from a Tudor not sure what one you ended up with, did it have twin battery holes ? Very small world with live in ay ,,,,,[/QUOTE]

Hi Wayne, my floor pan just has a single battery hole!

39WILLZ and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.