Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What seam sealer to use on floorboards?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Feb 8, 2020.

1. evintho

evintho

I'm replacing the rusty floorboards in my '54 Customline and I'm interested in knowing what everyone uses for seam sealer. I want to cover the weld seams top and bottom. I read in another post that some guys are using Liquid Nails! Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

3m makes a great seam sealer that is paintable. I would not use liquid nails

3. I use the sealer my local body shop supplier has.

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use the 3M two part seam sealer, very tough.

5. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Go to a body shop supplier and get the stuff designed for the job. Wurth , 3M Etc , some of them are very reasonably priced.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use 3M . I know that it works and it lasts.

7. Check out the Eastwood Company.

8. I use SEM 2 part. But I would think any 2 part would be fine.

9. A different approach...........I didn't use a seam sealer as such on the floorboards. As I went along and finished areas with the patch panels, I applied por-15 Por Patch to the seams, and then a coat of Por-15 on the entire panel/area. Caution there........por-15 requires a tooth on the metal surfaces for proper adhesion. Sandblasting is the best way to achieve that. If you try to apply it so the factory surface/finish of the sheetmetal, it'll peel off.
    When doing outside seams that will get finish paint, primarily the raingutters/roof driprails, I'd strongly recommend 3M panel bond. So much easier to get a nice finish/contour, and has the added advantages of being easily sandable when set up. Not unlike body filler for finish sanding and blending. It also has a rust inhibitor. This was highly recommended to me by the local 3M rep, and I'm so glad I took his advise. The tough part to swallow there was the $70ish for the special caulking gun.
    The question I always had was when to apply the seam sealer if I was going that route.....before of after epoxy primer. That was one reason I decided to do the por-15 route, besides, my entire car was por-15'd on inner surfaces and underside.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Read the label on the seam sealers, some are not for use inside the car.