Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Powder coating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69supercj, Feb 8, 2020.

1. 69supercj

69supercj

Can I powder coat over chrome plating without issues?

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. 69supercj

69supercj

Well that really didn't clear things up much. One sentence they say you can't do it then the next they say you can.

4. Yes, I had a set of chrome wheels coated but the chrome must be sandblasted to help the powder coat to adhere. HRP

5. 69supercj

69supercj

Do you think bead blasting would suffice or does it need to be more aggressive like sandblasting?

6. redo32

redo32

What is the part and are you going to powdercoat it yourself? You need the rough surface for mechanical adhesion.

7. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I run a powdercoating business. I powder over chrome all the time. I black out brand new Harley bikes all day long.

The key is having good chrome. I media blast it first with aluminum oxide. Good chrome will stay intact. Bad chrome will peel off. Any chrome with rust, pitting, or peeling needs to come off completely with aggressive blasting.

Blues4U and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. 69supercj

69supercj

Its a waterpump pulley and I planned on bead blasting it if that would give it enough bite. And no, I'm not doing it myself other then the blasting.