Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Plymouth Sedan: Should I Fix It?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by OneRustedDodge, Feb 8, 2020.

1. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Hello HAMBers,

I am finally getting around to sorting out HOW i am going to get a hot rod together after all these years and have been saving this 33 Plymouth Sedan. This car is ROUGH and most replacement panels for the early mopars are not available. I've considered morphing the car with Ford replacement panels from the same years, but i am not sure. I have been building and fabricating for 13 years and I want real world perspective on best way to accomplish repairing this one.

It needs:

Floors
    Rockers
    Door bottoms
    Cowl Patches
    Front window channel

Plans are for it to be fenderless. Doesn't need to be anywhere near "show quality".

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.36.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.36.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.37.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.37.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.37.25 PM.png

2. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

I've seen a lot worse. I'd tackle it, if it were mine.

loudbang and sloppy jalopies like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I would fab all of the needed panels for that, if it were mine. It will take a lot of work, no doubt, but that is what I would do. There is some good info to be found on here, and elsewhere, on shaping panels and repairing door frames, it can be done. One bite at a time, and you may spit some of those bites out and start over, but it can be done.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You need a 4-dr parts car. Scan0760.jpg

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

do it... the mopar floors will be relatively flat, compared with '33-'34 fords...
    a competent metal brake guy should make the rockers and sills...
    a little shrinking should put the desired L -R bow in them...
    find a clever guy with a bead roller and an English wheel to make the patch panels... compound curved with flat beads across the bottom...
    maybe bent conduit arch to form an edge from the skin to the wheelwell … not correct radius but doable at home... don't be afraid... most of us have cut out what we have done and started over... a few times...

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Would make a cool hotrod. Just depends on how much YOU like it. If you have the vision, you can do it. It has nice lines. Lippy

loudbang likes this.
  7. chev34ute

chev34ute

It looks pretty straight foreword. It all comes down to the patterns you make. Get some magnets and craft sheet sized cardboard, place the cardboard over the damaged areas fasten with magnets and cut out to the desired shape. Place the patterns over the sheet metal and cut out oversize.

This is what I made up recently. 0236675E-81EB-484C-9F38-81B8E39E11CD.jpeg A5FA262E-C1D1-4EBF-B2AD-1B10BC0F6631.jpeg

8. scotts52

scotts52

Save it? Heck ya!!! 33/34 Dodges and Plymouths are awesome.

9. v8flat44

v8flat44

You bet. How many do ya see? Dare to be different.....i picture a 273 or 340 Cuda mill.......just say'n.

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Great looking body style. Sure would be cool if you could save it!

11. Worth saving for sure.....they are really cool cars. But then I'm biased.
    It's easy for us to say"fix/build it", it would be a huge amount of work/$$ for sure.
    Since it has no floors, it's a great time to channel it a bit!:D I made patch panels for both sides on mine, but it wasn't quite as far gone as yours.

dwollam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

Is this where we say "its junk, it will never be worth anything, so send it to me and I will get rid of it for you?":D

I suppose your vision of the finished product will have a huge bearing on how you build the car. If it needs to be perfect, or close to it, you need to find someone that can create the new panels the body needs, anything less then a perfect replacement part won't do, and you certainly wouldn't want to use Ford parts on your Mopar. If you are looking for an imperfect fun to drive hot rod you built yourself, most of the panels you need can be made at home if your willing to learn how. Personally, I make my own panels, but I'm OK with imperfections. Gene

13. touring20

touring20

I would use ford patches , the bottom of these Body's look like they were ground off .
    When built as a high boy or channeled
    Had a 34 dodge PU , and ultimately that is why I sold it .

14. Toqwik

Toqwik

I would decide is this a car you are going to keep a long time or one you are ready to sell once finished. If you plan to sell it, cut your losses now and pass it on. If this is something you can see as a member of the family, heck yea build it. Doesn’t look that bad and you will be surprised the power of the HAMB to help. It’s a lot of work, just make sure it is what YOU want before diving head first.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RMR&C likes this.